Development of incoming freshman | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Play your Freshman, Geno.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

He’ll play them when they perform to his satisfaction in practice. Period.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Geno has been doing this ever since he came to UConn and does it for a reason. He wants his freshman to learn to play basketball, not just shoot the ball. Most kids now days don't even know how to play defense or play motion offense like UConn does. If you can't OR won't do it in practice which is harder then game conditions, then what to say you can do it in the games. Almost all of the players that have gone through UConn have experienced the same thing. The one that didn't almost from the start was Kia Nurse and the only reason for that was SHE could play defense BEFORE she got there. When you get to coach you go ahead and do it your way, I'll go with Geno and his winning ways of doing things.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He’ll play them when they perform to his satisfaction in practice. Period.

That’s true. But he did play Walker and Coombs relatively early yesterday, so their practice must have been acceptable It seems as though when they didn’t do some things he wanted, they were benched. It might have been possible for him to tell them what they needed to correct and put them back in. Of course he has his history that makes us look ridiculous to suggest other choices he can make. It is kind of interesting, though, to see other much less heralded frosh come in against us and seem to be more relaxed than our kids.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.
Actually I disagree. Practice makes perfect - maybe a silly saying, but it's true. Did you watch the last few games where the bench got in and got some serious minutes? Molly continues to be tentative and is a turnover waiting to happen. Mikayla looks lost out there. Megan has regressed. Lexi can't make a basket and is shooting under a FG% under 18%. Kyla is the only one who is consistently productive, but she lacks the athleticism to be more effective. Batouly is coming back from serious injuries.

While I wish it was different, the reality is that it's not. When our reserves get into games - the last 6-8 minutes of blowouts, more often than not, we are outscored and outplayed by the worst teams in the American. While I'd love to see Coombs or Walker get more minutes with the starters, the fact is that when Coombs is in, she plays poorly, and Megan has played terrible the past 2 games. Frankly, Kyla is the only one who looks like she knows what she's doing out there when in with most of the core 6, and that's sad given how highly rated Walker and Coombs were coming out of HS.

I'm just gonna say it - I get that freshmen struggle, but Mikayla and Megan so far are 2 of the more disappointing top 15 freshmen I can remember seeing at UCONN. There is still time for them to get it, but that time (and Geno's patience) is running out.

Reaction Score

In my opinion, Geno does not play certain freshmen because he wants to win games by 30+ ppg but rather precisely because he wishes to further the development of those freshmen so that they will continue to carry and uphold the program he and others have so painstakingly built over 30+ years. My opinion in this respect is based directly on statements Geno has made to the effect that, if he continues to play individuals when they fail to follow principles of play long established at UConn, he will lose those individuals and they will conclude said principles are not critical. Moreover, and again this is just my opinion, I believe Geno, the other coaches and the vast majority of both current and former UConn players are comfortable and will accept "more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach." I would argue that this is the same approach that has been followed at the UConn Women basketball program from the moment Geno arrived in Storrs, that it has served the University, the team and its players incredibly well, and that to criticize this method of awarding playing time as "obnoxious" misses the point totally.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That’s true. But he did play Walker and Coombs relatively early yesterday, so their practice must have been acceptable It seems as though when they didn’t do some things he wanted, they were benched. It might have been possible for him to tell them what they needed to correct and put them back in. Of course he has his history that makes us look ridiculous to suggest other choices he can make. It is kind of interesting, though, to see other much less heralded frosh come in against us and seem to be more relaxed than our kids.
I think the reason for that is that those other ladies are not playing at UConn, BUT against UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Megan Walker, who averages 16.1 minutes, played six and Mikayla Coombs, who averaged 6.8, played three, neither playing in the second half. “It wasn’t a decision at all,” Auriemma said. “They weren’t ready to go. I don’t know whether they were ill or sick, I don’t know, but they weren’t ready to play. It’s not a mystery.” UConn coaches appeared unhappy with fundamental lapses, such as not calling out screens

From the Courant. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...5-story.html&usg=AOvVaw0Q--bw4aUSV01gTFYOq1sM

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Thank you for the heartfelt expression of philosophy, Coach Warlick.

Think I'll just continue to appreciate UConn WBB.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.
I think Geno would argue otherwise.
I have heard many former players argue otherwise too.

And as an aside, I really don't want my surgeon to learn while working on me, I'd prefer if the learning took place PRACTICING beforehand.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Geno does not play certain freshmen because he wants to win games by 30+ ppg but rather precisely because he wishes to further the development of those freshmen so that they will continue to carry and uphold the program he and others have so painstakingly built over 30+ years. My opinion in this respect is based directly on statements Geno has made to the effect that, if he continues to play individuals when they fail to follow principles of play long established at UConn, he will lose those individuals and they will conclude said principles are not critical. Moreover, and again this is just my opinion, I believe Geno, the other coaches and the vast majority of both current and former UConn players are comfortable and will accept "more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach." I would argue that this is the same approach that has been followed at the UConn Women basketball program from the moment Geno arrived in Storrs, that it has served the University, the team and its players incredibly well, and that to criticize this method of awarding playing time as "obnoxious" misses the point totally.

You recruited them to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
In watching my game replay, Megan was benched after Kia almost got whiplash when she was blindsided by a pick that Megan apparently did not warn her of. Geno then "talked" to Megan so maybe she said that she wasn't feeling well (my speculation based upon Nan's post) either at that point or at the half.

Reaction Score
I think Geno would argue otherwise.
I have heard many former players argue otherwise too.

And as an aside, I really don't want my surgeon to learn while working on me, I'd prefer if the learning took place PRACTICING beforehand.

Comparing amateur athletics to a surgeon seems a bit irresponsible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom