Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Cam Spencer has been giving away more open lane drives than a toll booth

He definitely struggles with speed off the bounce. Had a really rough game against Richmond.

Reaction Score
When will all of the extra year Covid seniors finally be phased out? I feel like all these older and experienced players have changed the game by keeping highly touted freshmen on the bench and limiting their opportunities to develop early…..don’t get me wrong, I’ll take Tristen Newton and another ring all day, but you have to think that the game will look a little different a couple of season after the Covid seniors are gone.

Reaction Score
Stewart is long and athletic - something this team lacks. Give him the minutes to develop Danny!

Reaction Score
He definitely struggles with speed off the bounce. Had a really rough game against Richmond.

He does struggle no doubt but let’s not begin to single him out against Richmond. Check his stats against us historically. He’s ripped up Andre, Hawkins and others just as bad and maybe worst. Add to that Tristen looked just as bad guarding his guys the other night!

Reaction Score
PT is the last thing we should complain about. I say this every year. We have 10% of the data the coaches have on these guys at best.

We don't see Jaylin in practice every day. If he's not playing in games we need to make a comeback, it's because the staff--with 50x more evidence than all of us--believe he isn't able to contribute. And for a good reason considering how bar Alex was yesterday.
True, but don't forget that Isaiah Whaley was once behind Eric Cobb and Kassoum Yakwe in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Hurley did Stewart a favor by not putting him on the floor with four other players which were playing their
worst game of 2023. It would have been impossible for Stewart to look good. He will have an opportunity
to show what we all hoped he would be sooner than later.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
PT is the last thing we should complain about. I say this every year. We have 10% of the data the coaches have on these guys at best.

We don't see Jaylin in practice every day. If he's not playing in games we need to make a comeback, it's because the staff--with 50x more evidence than all of us--believe he isn't able to contribute. And for a good reason considering how bar Alex was yesterday.
In the past Hurley has mentioned regrets about not getting guys more burn sooner in their careers. Isaiah Whaley is one, off the top of my head, that Hurley admitted he should have played more.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The idea that everyone thinks the coaches are the most intelligent people around is the problem. There are a lot of smart people that don't coach, but still understand and appreciate the game.
Evidence suggests those people on not on this board

Reaction Score
What's written above does not make sense to me. Perhaps I was unclear, so I'll try again. You wrote the following:

"At what" are coaches rarely better than their players?

Are coaches rarely better free throw shooters than their players?
Are coaches rarely better dribblers than their players?
Are coaches rarely better dunkers than their players?

If that's what you meant, I'm inclined to agree, and don't see any controversy to such ideas. But I also don't see any relevance to this this thread.

Are you saying that coaches are rarely better recruiters than their players?
Are coaches rarely better strategists than their players?
Are coaches rarely better teachers than their players?
In short, are coaches rarely better at coaching than their players?

If that's what you are claiming, I can see the relevance of considerimg such assertions, but I'm quite surprised that you'd make them, and I disagree.

Am I misreading or misinterpreting you?

I simply don't understand what you've written, but it seems only fair for me to allow for the possibility that I'm missing something.

Please help me out.
Thanks in advance.
You make mountains out of molehills. Great coaches don’t really do much with poor players. So coaches aren’t usually much better than their players. They are what their record says they are.

This whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion. Coaching takes are huge passion for the game, with all the varied parts of it, like recruiting, culture, philosophy, management, evaluation, development, and game management. We sometimes tend to direct our opinions about small parts of the whole, usually game performance or lack of.

I’m 100% behind this team, this staff, and this school (and all it’s teams). It won’t stop me from having my own views though.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Evidence suggests those people on not on this board
Maybe those really smart basketball people are in the wrong line of work

Reaction Score
alex needs a little help defensively and we have a strong athletic back up 4 man who probably shouldve got some PT last night. we put tremendous equity on our freshmen---we have to take the good/bad with that for the development in march. Just like castle and ball are being let to develop---I think stewart needs 10-12 minutes to--especially when ak is off or FT
We need to play people to win first..

Reaction Score
I hope Stewart stays.

I think it is funny that this open transfer rule is actually going to hurt some young players. There are going to be some young guys who bounce from program to program because they don't put the necessary work in, but may have actually been developed if they stayed at one school, listened to the staff and did the work.

I'm not saying that's what is happening at all with this young kid. I know Hurley is high on him. I don't think he's going anywhere because he came in knowing Karaban was here. He just needs to be patient.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So coaches aren't usually much better [AT WHAT?] than their players.
If you're going to say that coaches aren't better than players, then you are comparing the two.

For the comparison to make sense, you have compare same or similar attributes that apply to both coaches and players.

For the comparison to matter, you have to compare things that relate to college basketball.

So far, you haven't done either in any meaningful way. I do not expect you to do so, and it doesn't matter enough for me to pursue it further.

I'll offer my own belief that there is only one relevant way in which coaches and players could be compared as you persist in arguing, but my opinion is that a comparison would be meaningless, so I won't weigh in on whether I agree with it or not:

"Coaches aren't usually better at doing what coaches do than their players are at doing what players do."

You may be satisfied with the premise of such a comparison, and hold the belief that your evaluation of it is correct. Fair enough.

In 8th grade, my friend Gerry was fond of asking classmates, "Do you walk to school or bring your lunch?" or, "Is it closer to New York than by bus?" Both exhibited nascent attainment of the psychological development stage called "formal operations." At this stage a person can not only consider things sequentially and logically toward individual or collaborative problem-solving, but can also veer off that course and playfully manipulate things to allow for the possibility of a sense of humor expressing itself through use of illogic, irony, sarcasm, non sequiturs, absurdities, word play, and such. By those standards, I have no doubt that you are right.

Savor the day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bump.
Go look at the box score and focus on the bench production from tonight’s game against St. John’s. It’s worrisome to say the least.

We are going to need Jay Stewart’s development at some point.

That said I’m going to enjoy this win. Merry Christmas

Reaction Score
Bump.
Go look at the box score and focus on the bench production from tonight’s game against St. John’s. It’s worrisome to say the least.

We are going to need Jay Stewart’s development at some point.

That said I’m going to enjoy this win. Merry Christmas
He’ll get some run against DePaul

Reaction Score
If you're going to say that coaches aren't better than players, then you are comparing the two.

For the comparison to make sense, you have compare same or similar attributes that apply to both coaches and players.

For the comparison to matter, you have to compare things that relate to college basketball.

So far, you haven't done either in any meaningful way. I do not expect you to do so, and it doesn't matter enough for me to pursue it further.

I'll offer my own belief that there is only one relevant way in which coaches and players could be compared as you persist in arguing, but my opinion is that a comparison would be meaningless, so I won't weigh in on whether I agree with it or not:

"Coaches aren't usually better at doing what coaches do than their players are at doing what players do."

You may be satisfied with the premise of such a comparison, and hold the belief that your evaluation of it is correct. Fair enough.

In 8th grade, my friend Gerry was fond of asking classmates, "Do you walk to school or bring your lunch?" or, "Is it closer to New York than by bus?" Both exhibited nascent attainment of the psychological development stage called "formal operations." At this stage a person can not only consider things sequentially and logically toward individual or collaborative problem-solving, but can also veer off that course and playfully manipulate things to allow for the possibility of a sense of humor expressing itself through use of illogic, irony, sarcasm, non sequiturs, absurdities, word play, and such. By those standards, I have no doubt that you are right.

Savor the day.
Is English your second language?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Does it matter if he’ll just sit the next close game?
I’m almost sure Stewart was not ready to contribute in such a physical, defensive game. He’s only gonna play against overmatched teams until he develops more it seems.

Reaction Score

In the past Hurley has mentioned regrets about not getting guys more burn sooner in their careers. Isaiah Whaley is one, off the top of my head, that Hurley admitted he should have played more.
You talking about while at UConn? Whaley and….any others?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m almost sure Stewart was not ready to contribute in such a physical, defensive game. He’s only gonna play against overmatched teams until he develops more it seems.
Well he’s not going to develop until he gets experience playing in some of these physical close games to see how they are.

You get better by going through things. Deferring it only stunts and pushes back the development he eventually needs to experience to get better.

3-5 mins a half will not kill us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom