DePaul's next head coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul's next head coach?

Reaction Score
Dave Leitao is getting fired, I'm very interested in who they bring in. This is a huge hire for DePaul, they finally have a legit University president and AD so I hope they get it right. You get the right coach there and you can turn it around in a hurry.
Joey Myers. The only successful coach they ever had. He's 71 and hasn't coached in 8 years. Just sayin'.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@superjohn, just change your OP to DePaul's possible next head coach and start your first sentence with I've heard from a reliable source that DL is getting fired. We would still be able to engage in the same conversation. If DL is fired Moser would seem to be a good fit. I wonder if a P5 school will reach out to Pat Baldwin Sr. at UWM just to bring his #4 ranked son along for a year or two.

Reaction Score
He might not be ready for the job now, but former Greenwich High PG Drew Gladstone should be up for that job pretty soon. He's an assistant at Indiana now and he played at Depaul. I watched this guy take St. Luke's from the bottom of the NEPSAC to a very respectable program, incredible coach, fantastic recruiter.

Reaction Score
His dad (Ray Meyer) coached for 40 years there!
I was aware of that.. Ok, I should've said the LAST successful coach. They used to be a big draw for recruits from the Midwest especially Chicago, but once other schools had success, and money came to rule the sport,, DePaul stopped getting top talent. The End.

Reaction Score
If I'm him, I wait for a huge P5 offer. He is a brilliant defensive coach--maybe the best in the country. Certainly close to it.

If he does end up at Depaul that would be a HUGE boon for the Big East.
I agree with you on this. Why go to DePaul and get, what $1.5 when a big time program will likely offer bigger money? You guys all love DePaul, but it is a pit. It is a commuter school with not much by way of presence. Cue Pudge to post about their snazzy new arena...it doesn’t matter. Could they conceivably put together a PC level program for a few years and get a bid hear and there ? No doubt with the right coach they could. But if I’m Moser I look at that mess and say, I can do much better.

Reaction Score
Which do peeps think is a better gig, DePaul or BC? Assume they’ll be battling for the same head coaches. Would think DePaul is more attractive of a job tho
Depaul because they seem to have ,not bad players already (ignore last night), or potentially pretty good players on the way. The Chicago area and its environs and that area of the country has a decent amount of talent, though the Big12 is a competitor too.

BC to my knowledge, does not have decent players at present or enough decent players. I am not aware they have a great incoming class either. I have not researched this. BC is not geographically near most of the other teams in their league who draw at a minimum from the South , but also nationally.

Just my take.

If the money was right, maybe either team could land a top flight coach. Still, I think Depaul has the potential for a higher trajectory as a team.

Reaction Score
Names he told me on Friday he heard kicking around are Dennis Gates, Simeon high school coach Robert Smith, Kenny Payne, Rod Strickland (makes no sense) and Shaka Smart (makes no sense.) He hadn't heard Porter Moser. I brought up Jon Scheyer who makes a lot of sense but he hadn't heard his name.

Jeff Borzello on Twitter: "The two names that have been linked to DePaul for the last year are Porter Moser and Kenny Payne. Moser is obviously local and has been highly successful at Loyola, while Payne has ties through new AD DeWayne Peevy. Bobby Hurley and Dennis Gates have also been mentioned recently." / Twitter

Reaction Score
gotta at least make an offer to porter here if they have any sense at all

Reaction Score
Well, he'd upgrade their recruiting at the very least. Can the guy actually coach, though? Or just recruit?
Was wondering the same thing. I’m seeing so many different names I don’t even know what to think on this one. Bobby Hurleys name even came up (which just seems so so unlikely to me)

Reaction Score
Knicks gave Payne enough financial reason to leave Kentucky for their staff, and he’s doing very well there so far. Anything is possible but that would be a QUICK 180 to go to DePaul

Reaction Score
Well, he'd upgrade their recruiting at the very least. Can the guy actually coach, though? Or just recruit?

I'd prefer Moser if I were them. He's one of the best college coaches out there.
He's gotten a lot of the credit for Randle's breakout to becoming an all star this season. How much of that is him and not Thibs I'm not sure though

Reaction Score
Ray Meyer, the Dad, had quite a record.

Joey Meyer, the son in this excerpt did well for a while:

Joey Meyer led DePaul to seven NCAA Tournament appearances in his first eight seasons, including back-to-back Sweet Sixteen appearances in his second and third seasons

Then:

In 1996, they finished 11-18, their first losing season since 1971, and the next year, a young DePaul team finished 3-23. Meyer was dismissed on April 28, 1997 and succeeded by Pat Kennedy just over six weeks later.[6][7]

Later, he coached for the ABA and NBA Development League with mixed success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom