DePaul's next head coach? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DePaul's next head coach?

Reaction Score
Would Porter Moser leave Loyola Chicago for the job? Have to imagine he could do a great job recruiting that area for the Big East after seeing what he's done the past few years
His price tag just went WAY UP after today's w! Wow! Did they play a solid smart game today. Illinois goes down and I think they played good, they got beat they didn't give it away.
What a great game

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Indiana and Marquette are the only two really good jobs open so far.

Reaction Score

Would be interested to see if he could replicate some of his recruiting success from Kentucky at DePaul (Link):

Payne was nationally recognized for his work with Kentucky's big men -- and rightfully so -- but he played an instrumental role in UK's success with players at every position. Most notably, Payne's development with Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns helped the Kentucky freshmen go No. 1 overall in their respective drafts with each team advancing to the Final Four.

Payne was also a major part in the development of UK big men Nerlens Noel (sixth in 2013 NBA Draft), Randle (seventh pick in 2014 NBA Draft), Willie Cauley-Stein (sixth in 2015 NBA Draft), Skal Labissière (28th in 2016 NBA Draft), Bam Adebayo (14th in 2017 NBA Draft) and PJ Washington (12th in 2019 NBA Draft). He also played important roles in the development of guards De'Aaron Fox (fifth in 2017 NBA Draft), Malik Monk (11th in 2017 NBA Draft), Knox (ninth in 2018 NBA Draft), Tyler Herro (13th in 2019 NBA Draft) and Keldon Johnson (29th in 2019 NBA Draft). Randle and Knox are members of the Knicks.

Nationally recognized as one of the game's top recruiters, Payne's ability to connect with recruits and then develop them as players flourished at Kentucky. The 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2020 classes all ranked No. 1 in the country, and every class was in the top three, according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index. The 2013 group consisted of a record six McDonald's All Americans and was heralded as one of the best classes ever assembled by many pundits. The 2017 class was rated as the best ever by RSCI.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. Why go to DePaul and get, what $1.5 when a big time program will likely offer bigger money? You guys all love DePaul, but it is a pit. It is a commuter school with not much by way of presence. Cue Pudge to post about their snazzy new arena...it doesn’t matter. Could they conceivably put together a PC level program for a few years and get a bid hear and there ? No doubt with the right coach they could. But if I’m Moser I look at that mess and say, I can do much better.
dick

You obviously could not start nor build anything. BC or DePaul? the answer is in this thread: you can create a complete competitive Program at Loyola with local kids and a cross-section of others; you cannot imagine a comparable rising from the 6 other possibilities in greater Boston. Including Worcester, New Hampshire, Lowell. This is a sleeper. Bottom line: ANY of the Big East schools can be top 4 seed on a future bracket of March Madness. BC sucks and forevermore climb out of that ignominious hole.

Reaction Score
good for the BE. if he's as good of a recruiter as advertised he should be able to keep a lot of chicago kids away from the big10

Reaction Score

Would be interested to see if he could replicate some of his recruiting success from Kentucky at DePaul (Link):

Payne was nationally recognized for his work with Kentucky's big men -- and rightfully so -- but he played an instrumental role in UK's success with players at every position. Most notably, Payne's development with Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns helped the Kentucky freshmen go No. 1 overall in their respective drafts with each team advancing to the Final Four.

Payne was also a major part in the development of UK big men Nerlens Noel (sixth in 2013 NBA Draft), Randle (seventh pick in 2014 NBA Draft), Willie Cauley-Stein (sixth in 2015 NBA Draft), Skal Labissière (28th in 2016 NBA Draft), Bam Adebayo (14th in 2017 NBA Draft) and PJ Washington (12th in 2019 NBA Draft). He also played important roles in the development of guards De'Aaron Fox (fifth in 2017 NBA Draft), Malik Monk (11th in 2017 NBA Draft), Knox (ninth in 2018 NBA Draft), Tyler Herro (13th in 2019 NBA Draft) and Keldon Johnson (29th in 2019 NBA Draft). Randle and Knox are members of the Knicks.

Nationally recognized as one of the game's top recruiters, Payne's ability to connect with recruits and then develop them as players flourished at Kentucky. The 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2020 classes all ranked No. 1 in the country, and every class was in the top three, according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index. The 2013 group consisted of a record six McDonald's All Americans and was heralded as one of the best classes ever assembled by many pundits. The 2017 class was rated as the best ever by RSCI.

I'm tellin ya, Kenny Payne was the main reason behind UK's success the past decade. That dude can recruit, coach, and develop talent better than almost anyone. If Depaul can get him, that would be a massive hire for them. Idk why Indiana hasn't gone after him, he would be my #1 target even over a guy like Porter Moser

Reaction Score
Only downside to hiring Kenny at DePaul is that I know I’m hiring another coach in 3-5 years. Either cause he’s amazing or cause he’s horrible

Reaction Score
Only downside to hiring Kenny at DePaul is that I know I’m hiring another coach in 3-5 years. Either cause he’s amazing or cause he’s horrible
thats a bit cynical. but if it turns out to be true then outside of uconn and nova and maybe gtown, the BE schools will forever be stepping stone jobs when that doesnt have to be the case. he's a midwestern guy so i hope kenny is just the right fit for the long haul. the entire future of the conference depends on bball so the teams need to pay the coaches as if their futures depend on it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thats a bit cynical. but if it turns out to be true then outside of uconn and nova and maybe gtown, the BE schools will forever be stepping stone jobs when that doesnt have to be the case. he's a midwestern guy so i hope kenny is just the right fit
UConn Nova and Georgetown are the only schools with a vast amount of history. They've proven themselves over multiple decades to be final destination schools. The rest of the Big East...not so much. They're always gonna have the risk of losing their coach to a destination P5 school like Louisville or Ohio State, unless they lock down a guy like Cooley who won't leave and probably will never be fired lol

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. Why go to DePaul and get, what $1.5 when a big time program will likely offer bigger money? You guys all love DePaul, but it is a pit. It is a commuter school with not much by way of presence. Cue Pudge to post about their snazzy new arena...it doesn’t matter. Could they conceivably put together a PC level program for a few years and get a bid hear and there ? No doubt with the right coach they could. But if I’m Moser I look at that mess and say, I can do much better.

"Pit"? Depaul is in Lincoln Park, dipstick. Town houses in the neighborhood go for for $2MM. Depaul probably sits in one of the Top 5 nicest, most fun areas of any P6 school.

Why do you insist on screaming your ignorance to the board?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn Nova and Georgetown are the only schools with a vast amount of history. They've proven themselves over multiple decades to be final destination schools. The rest of the Big East...not so much. They're always gonna have the risk of losing their coach to a destination P5 school like Louisville or Ohio State, unless they lock down a guy like Cooley who won't leave and probably will never be fired lol
i mean, assuming they get paid i dont see a reason the second tier BE schools (all but the 3 mentioned) should have their coaches raided any more than the second tier schools in any other power conference. if they are then we got problems. but my hope is that the second tier teams are no longer in the shadow of Cuse and Pitt and Lville so they shouldnt be bouncing around any more than coaches from rutgers and wake and vandy and iowa state and washington etc. of course the blue bloods will always be the most desirable jobs but they dont come around that often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Pit"? Depaul is in Lincoln Park, dipstick. Town houses in the neighborhood go for for $2MM. Depaul probably sits in one of the Top 5 nicest, most fun areas of any P6 school.

Why do you insist on screaming your ignorance to the board?
I don't know much about DePaul. You mention it's in a great neighborhood. I looked it up and they only have like 18% of kids living on campus, but that doesn't tell the whole story. I guess I was a "commuter" at UConn for two years, but living off campus was still part of campus life.

To generalize, I've picked other Big East Catholic schools. Is it more like Villanova (suburban kids that want to be close (but not in) a city), Georgetown (more eclectic/diverse student body and "commuters" are really just living off campus, not at home), or St. John's (very local option for city kids to commute to)?

Reaction Score
They can't get much worse. I like Payne as a hire. Chance he totally revamps recruiting and makes the team a destination again. Potentially a top team in the conference. Worst case they're bad--and well, they already are bad. Swing for the fences kind of hire.

Reaction Score
DePaul is a springboard job for any coach who makes them successful. That's a very tall order. They're in a very tough situation there. The school is cash strapped, the facilities aren't top notch and it's hard to recruit and attract top talent in Big 10 country.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about DePaul. You mention it's in a great neighborhood. I looked it up and they only have like 18% of kids living on campus, but that doesn't tell the whole story. I guess I was a "commuter" at UConn for two years, but living off campus was still part of campus life.

To generalize, I've picked other Big East Catholic schools. Is it more like Villanova (suburban kids that want to be close (but not in) a city), Georgetown (more eclectic/diverse student body and "commuters" are really just living off campus, not at home), or St. John's (very local option for city kids to commute to)?

Of those on your list I think it's most like St. Johns. It's nothing like Villanova or Georgetown.

Reaction Score

It's always seemed to me to be a bit of a reach to give a coach like Payne so much credit for "developing" big men who came to Kentucky rated in the top 10 or 20 players in their class and left after one year.

Reaction Score
Interesting, school president and AD took him out for dinner last night in Milwaukee.
Leon Rose kept both Kenny Payne and Johnnie Bryant from leaving for college jobs. Talk about changing times for the Knicks

Reaction Score
Anyone putting their hopes that Kenny Payne was going to be some savior for DePaul was and is foolish.

If DePaul is lucky and pays well maybe Porter Moser prefers to stay in Chicago and join the Big East Conference. That would be a great hire for them. The Oral Roberts coach Paul Mills would be a good pick up for them as well.

This was the best thing to happen for DePaul.

PS: I am ok with DePaul being a perennial doormat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom