DePaul's next head coach? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul's next head coach?

MJ1

Reaction Score
Yet the Big 10 hasn’t won a national title in 20 years, and the PAC 12 has not been better than the new version Big East. Nova, UConn, St. John’s and Georgetown will always keep the Big East relevant going forward. Recruiting has been on par with the other power conferences.

Reaction Score
I think they are highly interested in Moser but haven't heard he wants the job. My guess is Kenny Payne or Dennis Gates.
Dennis Gates would be my #2 option if they can’t get Moser. Turned Cleveland State around in a short time. Were AWFUL.

Gates to DePaul is a similar hire to Hurley to UConn, hire the young, passionate coach with a lot of fire and high expectations for his kids.

Reaction Score
Yet the Big 10 hasn’t won a national title in 20 years
The Big 10 has had 7 participants in the title game over that stretch. It's not like they're the Pac.

Reaction Score
Dennis Gates would be my #2 option if they can’t get Moser. Turned Cleveland State around in a short time. Were AWFUL.

Gates to DePaul is a similar hire to Hurley to UConn, hire the young, passionate coach with a lot of fire and high expectations for his kids.

I know the sample size is still somewhat limited as a head coach - but you could argue Dennis should be the #1 option. A city kid from Chicago - won the Illinois State Championship (with Quentin Richardson)...he could own the recruiting there.

Reaction Score
BC is 100 times better. It isn’t easy but you can succeed there. You have far more stuff to sell recruits from the campus to plying in the best basketball conference. They have had success in this century. Yes they had 2 bad choices and that has set them back but it isn’t impossible to succeed there. DePaul has finished last in the Big East 10 times in there 15 years in the leagues and has gone to zero NCAA tournament. 1 NIT bid since leaving CUSA. They serve one function in the league. To Prevent teams from ever going 0-20. Moser is Better off staying at Loyola than getting involved in that muck pit.
I think you are living in the past.

BC basketball started going south after they joined the ACC, but they did carry over their Big East success for the first 2 years in the ACC. I was a BC basketball season ticket holder and saw the collapse in performance and fan interest. BC lost all of their regional rivals when they joined the ACC although Syracuse later joined them in the ACC. They still don't have a basketball practice facility. And, there is little interest from the BC administration to invest in basketball which is why they have gone after cheap head coaches.

Jim O'Brien and Al Skinner were the last 2 coaches that had "success" at BC. O'Brien was there 11 years and had a record of 168-166 with a conference record of 64-114. Skinner was there 13 years and had a record of 247-165 with a conference record of 106-106.

In contrast, DePaul opened up a new basketball arena in 2017 that seats 10K, so they are serious about basketball.

Reaction Score
Payne leaving is the main reason why UK was awful this year. He ran the show at Kentucky. Calipari just took all the credit for it
I had not heard that before, I knew of his recruiting prowess but not “running the show”
Very surprising, this is somewhat common knowledge?

Reaction Score
Yeah then they all flamed out the first weekend except Villanova. It is a fine league but it is not even close to the Original Big East. And it is a cut behind the P5 in prestige. Its just what it is. Seton Hall and Creighton will never be bigger names than Duke and North Carolina or Ohio State and Michigan, especially in their home regions. I couldn’t find tv ratings for 2021 for the Big East but I’m pretty sure they were behind the P5. Between 1999 and the implosion in 2013 the big East won 5 Championships among 3 different teams. They had 2 final four teams twice and 11 in total. It was a monster. The current league has Villanova and 1 other team that has gotten to an Elite 8. By every measure Villanova is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe UConn makes it a 2 team league. I hope so. But until proven otherwise the Big East is Villanova and the Pretenders.
Can’t find the tv rankings but your pretty sure anyway lol

Reaction Score
I had not heard that before, I knew of his recruiting prowess but not “running the show”
Very surprising, this is somewhat common knowledge?
I’ve read the UK forum from time to time over the years. They all seemed to agree that Payne is the reason behind all the success, and this year proved them right. He was the main recruiter and player developer. It’s not a coincidence that UK goes from a top 15 team every year to under .500 the first year Kenny left. If I’m IU, I’m giving that guy a blank check

Reaction Score
BC is 100 times better. It isn’t easy but you can succeed there. You have far more stuff to sell recruits from the campus to plying in the best basketball conference. They have had success in this century. Yes they had 2 bad choices and that has set them back but it isn’t impossible to succeed there. DePaul has finished last in the Big East 10 times in there 15 years in the leagues and has gone to zero NCAA tournament. 1 NIT bid since leaving CUSA. They serve one function in the league. To Prevent teams from ever going 0-20. Moser is Better off staying at Loyola than getting involved in that muck pit.
Agreed that the Boston College job is much better than the DePaul gig. No denying that.

I’m ok with DePaul being a perennial doormat.

If they’re smart they would still reach out to Loyola Chicago coach and make their case. He will have P5 offers already starting with Minnesota job.

Reaction Score
Agreed that the Boston College job is much better than the DePaul gig. No denying that.

I’m ok with DePaul being a perennial doormat.

If they’re smart they would still reach out to Loyola Chicago coach and make their case. He will have P5 offers already starting with Minnesota job.
It's not, BC job is about as bad as it gets. DePaul has made terrible hires for a long time but if you hire the right guy you can turn it around there in a hurry by getting the top Chicagoland talent and the fans are just waiting for them to be good. BC doesn't care about the hoops team and neither does the city.

Reaction Score
It's not, BC job is about as bad as it gets. DePaul has made terrible hires for a long time but if you hire the right guy you can turn it around there in a hurry by getting the top Chicagoland talent and the fans are just waiting for them to be good. BC doesn't care about the hoops team and neither does the city.
DePaul's best friend is that we showed up and essentially neutered recruiting for PC, Seton Hall, and likely St. John's. Makes the climb up easier.

Reaction Score
The Vatican has pre approved Pitino, vis a vis Iona. Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Why are they interested in Stoudamire? His head coaching career percentage is only .479 with his best season being 23-10 last season and 8-8 this year.

Reaction Score
It’s a step back for every UConn program except men’s basketball.
which is all that matters...or should the AD have made this decision based on soccer and tennis?
Seton Hall and Creighton will never be bigger names than Duke and North Carolina or Ohio State and Michigan, especially in their home regions
only a complete fool would compare hall and creighton to the best 2 programs in the acc and big10...the only logical comparison is uconn and nova to those schools and we stack up favorably with any top 2 conference programs.

most championships in the last 21 years:
UConn & Nova: 6
Duke & Carolina: 6
OSU & UM (+MSU): 1
UK & UF: 3
Kansas: 1

will you never shut up?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah then they all flamed out the first weekend except Villanova. It is a fine league but it is not even close to the Original Big East. And it is a cut behind the P5 in prestige. Its just what it is. Seton Hall and Creighton will never be bigger names than Duke and North Carolina or Ohio State and Michigan, especially in their home regions. I couldn’t find tv ratings for 2021 for the Big East but I’m pretty sure they were behind the P5. Between 1999 and the implosion in 2013 the big East won 5 Championships among 3 different teams. They had 2 final four teams twice and 11 in total. It was a monster. The current league has Villanova and 1 other team that has gotten to an Elite 8. By every measure Villanova is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe UConn makes it a 2 team league. I hope so. But until proven otherwise the Big East is Villanova and the Pretenders.
The Big East is ahead of the Pac 12 and probably the SEC most years. Every year since 2013 the Big East is at least .500 against the other power conferences.

Reaction Score
Can somebody tell me what the hell is wrong with DePaul? I remember the Wilson Chandler era when they made a tourney or two. Is it entirely on poor coaching? As in X and O's? AD? Admin? Fan base? Because despite Letao's issues, he hasn't recruited badly right? Maybe it's just recency bias because they have some top 100 recruits coming in.

But seriously, DePaul has

*A rich recruiting area
*Impressive history with the Mark Aguire, Corbin, Comegys teams
*A fun city (for what it's worth)
*A new arena
*Big East affiliation

And now the AD is talking to Mike Davis and Damon S.? Huh?

Reaction Score
Peevy is a basketball guy, and will not be hiring Mike Davis. I really believe the previous AD hurt their basketball program, as she consistently ignored the wishes of the high school/AAU community in Chicago to hire someone who would develop relationships with them. Peevy won't make that mistake.

Reaction Score
Can somebody tell me what the hell is wrong with DePaul? I remember the Wilson Chandler era when they made a tourney or two. Is it entirely on poor coaching? As in X and O's? AD? Admin? Fan base? Because despite Letao's issues, he hasn't recruited badly right? Maybe it's just recency bias because they have some top 100 recruits coming in.

But seriously, DePaul has

*A rich recruiting area
*Impressive history with the Mark Aguire, Corbin, Comegys teams
*A fun city (for what it's worth)
*A new arena
*Big East affiliation

And now the AD is talking to Mike Davis and Damon S.? Huh?
The location alone makes it a really compelling job.

Somewhat unrelated, I saw that there is a new poster on the board with the handle topogigio - that is my favorite neighborhood restaurant, not too far from depaul’s campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom