DePaul's next head coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul's next head coach?

Reaction Score
They should be on the phone with Porter's people right now. He would be a great hire for them, even better hire for BE. Great coach.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting if Payne lasted less than a full season with the Knicks. I've yet to hear a bad word about the guy on the recruiting and player development front. No idea what his chops would be as an in-game coach. If he was going to leave the NBA to return to the college ranks I'd imagine it would be for a better gig than DePaul.

Reaction Score
i follow the league pretty closely and i would be kinda shocked if payne left new york -- it seems like he is already a big part of what they are doing there. i have seen rumors that the knicks are going to make a play for karl towns to reunite the two of them.

Reaction Score
DePaul if they have any brains would make a serious offer to both Rick Pitino and the Loyola Chicago coach. First person to accept gets the job.

Kenny Payne will take them nowhere.

Reaction Score
If DePaul can get either porter moser from Loyola or Kelsey from Winthrop that would be a home run for them. Problem is do either of these guys give a listen? I think DePaul still is a sleeping giant with the right coach and system

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Payne is a really interesting choice. The plus side is that he has tremendous references and probably isn't leaving if he is successful. The risk is that he has no idea what he is doing and it is strange that a guy with just a great pedigree never got a serious sniff for a head coaching job. Makes you wonder if there is something we don't know.

Reaction Score
BC is 100 times better. It isn’t easy but you can succeed there. You have far more stuff to sell recruits from the campus to plying in the best basketball conference. They have had success in this century. Yes they had 2 bad choices and that has set them back but it isn’t impossible to succeed there. DePaul has finished last in the Big East 10 times in there 15 years in the leagues and has gone to zero NCAA tournament. 1 NIT bid since leaving CUSA. They serve one function in the league. To Prevent teams from ever going 0-20. Moser is Better off staying at Loyola than getting involved in that muck pit.

Reaction Score
Well, he'd upgrade their recruiting at the very least. Can the guy actually coach, though? Or just recruit?

I'd prefer Moser if I were them. He's one of the best college coaches out there.
He's gotten a lot of the credit for Randle's breakout to becoming an all star this season. How much of that is him and not Thibs I'm not sure though
I hear you on not knowing how he would be as a head coach but the guy was considered arguably the top assistant coach/recruiter in the country and has a really good reputation as a big man coach. He's getting older and word is his goal is to be a head coach. Has a close relationship with DePaul's AD from when they were together at Kentucky. Makes a lot of sense because it would give DePaul a ton of juice in recruiting, he's about as connected around the country as it gets and there's always a bunch of talent in and around Chicago.

I think they are highly interested in Moser but haven't heard he wants the job. My guess is Kenny Payne or Dennis Gates.

Reaction Score
Would Porter Moser leave Loyola Chicago for the job? Have to imagine he could do a great job recruiting that area for the Big East after seeing what he's done the past few years
This is a great suggestion. I think he would leave.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I don't understand Bobby Hurley to Depaul but it would make for some intriguing matchups. Given that the Hurleys don't seem to want to schedule each other's teams, I highly doubt they'd end up in the same conference.

Reaction Score
This is a great suggestion. I think he would leave.
I think Moser will other options. Good grief you guys say a UConn assistant shouldn’t take the head coaching job a Fordham yet you want a successful Head Coach to leave a great set up to go to a place that hasn’t had success in 40 years? I wouldn’t wish the DePaul job on Kim Jung Un. The other thing. The Big East is a big deal in its original footprint. Elsewhere not so much. If you have a choice between the Big East and the Big 10 and you’re in Chicago it is an easy one and you aren’t going East.

Reaction Score
If you have a choice between the Big East and the Big 10 and you’re in Chicago it is an easy one and you aren’t going East.
DL made more money than collinsworth does at NW. Depaul can and has recruited circles around NW with their academic restrictions. DL had a top 25 class coming in, does NW? no. go away.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I assumed a Chi-town recruits choice between DePaul and say the Illini or Michigan. I damn near forgot about NW. Love NW's J school though, my cousin is a grad and it has served her well through the years.

Reaction Score
I hear you on not knowing how he would be as a head coach but the guy was considered arguably the top assistant coach/recruiter in the country and has a really good reputation as a big man coach. He's getting older and word is his goal is to be a head coach. Has a close relationship with DePaul's AD from when they were together at Kentucky. Makes a lot of sense because it would give DePaul a ton of juice in recruiting, he's about as connected around the country as it gets and there's always a bunch of talent in and around Chicago.

I think they are highly interested in Moser but haven't heard he wants the job. My guess is Kenny Payne or Dennis Gates.
Genuinely asking if his goal was to be a college HC then why would he leave for the NBA?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Moser will other options. Good grief you guys say a UConn assistant shouldn’t take the head coaching job a Fordham yet you want a successful Head Coach to leave a great set up to go to a place that hasn’t had success in 40 years? I wouldn’t wish the DePaul job on Kim Jung Un. The other thing. The Big East is a big deal in its original footprint. Elsewhere not so much. If you have a choice between the Big East and the Big 10 and you’re in Chicago it is an easy one and you aren’t going East.

Big East = bad. Got it. Are you even a UConn fan?

Reaction Score
Whaaaaaat! Where is Butler, Xavier and Creighton located? By the way, kids from Big Ten country went to Big East school not Notre Dame often. Ryan Boatright, Caron Butler, Philip Nolan , Marcus White, Khalid just to name a few. DePaul had some really good players come through there under coach Dave. He has had some underachieving teams. Period!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. Yeah. Their motto is DePaul Basketball. Underachieving since 1995! You do realize that they have more 1 conference Win seasons than winning conference seasons and since joining the Big East, they have had exactly 1 season above .500 in the league and 2 whole seasons with winning records overall. I think 4 since 1995. Sometimes things just are what they seem. DePaul is a mid major playing in a league that is above them. They belong in the A10.

Reaction Score
Big East = bad. Got it. Are you even a UConn fan?
The Big East is fine. It is a better basketball league than say the A10 but it is probably 6 th among the majors. And it is not viewed as a big deal outside more or less the original footprint. And guss what? In Chicago they don’t fetishize playing in Madison Square Garden. Even in Indianapolis they don’t. That particular fetish is largely limited to UConn fans near as I can see but certainly limited to northeastern Big East fans. look at every measure, top 25, tv ratings, reputation of the schools, every one the New Big East is behind the P5. The others should be throwing money at Villanova because without them it would be the American.
Yeah Nelson, I’m a UConn fan. But I’m realistic about the Big East. It’s best years are far behind us. It’s a step back for every UConn program except men’s basketball.

Reaction Score
Well, he'd upgrade their recruiting at the very least. Can the guy actually coach, though? Or just recruit?

I'd prefer Moser if I were them. He's one of the best college coaches out there.
Payne leaving is the main reason why UK was awful this year. He ran the show at Kentucky. Calipari just took all the credit for it

Reaction Score
The Big East is fine. It is a better basketball league than say the A10 but it is probably 6 th among the majors. And it is not viewed as a big deal outside more or less the original footprint. And guss what? In Chicago they don’t fetishize playing in Madison Square Garden. Even in Indianapolis they don’t. That particular fetish is largely limited to UConn fans near as I can see but certainly limited to northeastern Big East fans. look at every measure, top 25, tv ratings, reputation of the schools, every one the New Big East is behind the P5. The others should be throwing money at Villanova because without them it would be the American.
Yeah Nelson, I’m a UConn fan. But I’m realistic about the Big East. It’s best years are far behind us. It’s a step back for every UConn program except men’s basketball.
Please show the numbers where every BE team is lagging P5 in tv ratings.

Did you see that BE schools are littering the top 25 recruiting classes this year?

Also, wasn’t it like 2 years ago where the BE was dominating the T 25 and NCAA bids?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Moser is getting mentioned for the Minnesota job, too.

Reaction Score
Please show the numbers where every BE team is lagging P5 in tv ratings.

Did you see that BE schools are littering the top 25 recruiting classes this year?

Also, wasn’t it like 2 years ago where the BE was dominating the T 25 and NCAA bids?
Yeah then they all flamed out the first weekend except Villanova. It is a fine league but it is not even close to the Original Big East. And it is a cut behind the P5 in prestige. Its just what it is. Seton Hall and Creighton will never be bigger names than Duke and North Carolina or Ohio State and Michigan, especially in their home regions. I couldn’t find tv ratings for 2021 for the Big East but I’m pretty sure they were behind the P5. Between 1999 and the implosion in 2013 the big East won 5 Championships among 3 different teams. They had 2 final four teams twice and 11 in total. It was a monster. The current league has Villanova and 1 other team that has gotten to an Elite 8. By every measure Villanova is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe UConn makes it a 2 team league. I hope so. But until proven otherwise the Big East is Villanova and the Pretenders.

Reaction Score
@superjohn better be stretching because he has some dunking to do in this thread.

Nice work SJ.
I can't help but feel I am included as one of the dunk victims in this scenario. Because I am fragile, I'd like to point out that only one poster expressed skepticism about Leitao's firing, and it wasn't me. I never doubted that he would be fired. My point was only that @superjohn sometimes presents his opinions using words that normally indicate a statement of fact. This created a scenario in which he really was stating a fact, but a reasonable reader might interpret the post as an arrogantly phrased opinion. I am simply advocating the citing of sources where applicable, and, conversely, maybe an "in my opinion" where applicable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom