Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"Granted a dis on some other players, but not Brunelle."

That's what I was trying to get across. When given a chance to complement one of her players, she was so piqued, she used it as a chance to "dis" some other(s).

Sorry for not being as precise as I normally like to be, but the last couple of games have pulled together a lot of points about the program and sometimes the words don't behave as well as I'd like them to... :rolleyes:
(Plus, I'm usually not in the position of leveling some degree of criticism at our coach..well at least not on this board ;))

A lof of the points made are very valid...its' just how and perhpas where you present them that matter. Matter of degrees do count....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's the video clip, which shows the quality of interaction even better:

Seemed that K-Mac patted them on the back and I most certainly noticed Carol O. and Chris D. giving each other a warm greeting. No surprise there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s something else to consider. If I’m Danielle Cosgrove and my HC just played 2 walk-ons ahead of me, while indicating that I couldn’t keep up with DePaul, I’m not considering transferring at the end of the season. I’m considering transferring at the end of the semester to a school where I can play next season in the spring semester.

That would leave Vaughn as ND’s only player over 6’2”, and while she’s good when she’s healthy, there is certainly a risk. While Cosgrove is limited, 6’4” players don’t grow on trees.

Reaction Score
Not that I really understand RPI....

In conference play, the Irish will play 4 teams in current top 25 RPI, 6 in top 50.

UConn, in the AAC, will play Creighton...and no one else in the current top 50. UConn will probably not lose.

Does Notre Dame's schedule offset a loss..or does a loss count much more?

Can a couple of losses put them on the wrong side of the bubble?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
While I love seeing Muffet "suffer" and I am thrilled at the prospect of entitled ND fans being crushed, I do feel bad for the actual players. It's got to be tough to sign onto a storied program with certain expectations and then just get your butt kicked. What makes it worse is that the fans in road losses are more joyful than for a typical victory because their teams are beating ND. I'm happy Geno took his foot off the gas, rather than crush them by 50. Although I must say I came to this enlightened opinion long after the game. I was cheering for a crushing while watching.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not that I really understand RPI....

In conference play, the Irish will play 4 teams in current top 25 RPI, 6 in top 50.

UConn, in the AAC, will play Creighton...and no one else in the current top 50. UConn will probably not lose.

Does Notre Dame's schedule offset a loss..or does a loss count much more?

Can a couple of losses put them on the wrong side of the bubble?
Creighton is in the Big East, not the AAC.

Not really sure what you're asking. The stronger the schedule, the higher the RPI, all other things being equal. A team with a .500 record but a very strong SOS could finish in the top 50 of the RPI. Another .500 team with a very weak SOS might finish outside the top 200.

Notre Dame can sustain more than a couple more losses and still make the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creighton is in the Big East, not the AAC.

Not really sure what you're asking. The stronger the schedule, the higher the RPI, all other things being equal. A team with a .500 record but a very strong SOS could finish in the top 50 of the RPI. Another .500 team with a very weak SOS might finish outside the top 200.

Notre Dame can sustain more than a couple more losses and still make the tournament.

Thanks...I really don't understand how the bubble works....trying to learn...how RPI works...how it affects an invite.

Yeah...I knew Creighton was BE...don't know why my brain skipped...but thank you.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks...I really don't understand how the bubble works....trying to learn...how RPI works...how it affects an invite.

Yea, I don't think most people understand that. Heck, I'm not sure the Selection Committee has a good grasp on the bubble.

Reaction Score
They let a team like ND score 94 points, how many do you think UConn will score? I believe it will be a lot more than ND.
There is no way Uconn scores 100 against DePaul.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Yeah...I knew Creighton was BE...don't know why my brain skipped...but thank you.
It's far from an exact science, but in any given year there are multiple teams with double-digit losses that get at-large bids.

The selection committee typically places a huge value on having wins over teams in the RPI top 50 in deciding which bubble teams get in. So a team can have lots of losses and still get in if they have those top-50 wins.

Reaction Score
While I love seeing Muffet "suffer" and I am thrilled at the prospect of entitled ND fans being crushed, I do feel bad for the actual players. It's got to be tough to sign onto a storied program with certain expectations and then just get your butt kicked. What makes it worse is that the fans in road losses are more joyful than for a typical victory because their teams are beating ND. I'm happy Geno took his foot off the gas, rather than crush them by 50. Although I must say I came to this enlightened opinion long after the game. I was cheering for a crushing while watching.
Agree with all you said, EXCEPT... I don't feel bad for the players either. I think it's great that they sign onto a storied program with certain expectations and then just get their butt kicked. They made their bed - now they can lie in it. I'm sure the ones who stick around will be part of a competitive ND team in a couple years.

1576254680976.png

Plebe

Reaction Score
Agree with all you said, EXCEPT... I don't feel bad for the players either. I think it's great that they sign onto a storied program with certain expectations and then just get their butt kicked. They made their bed - now they can lie in it. I'm sure the ones who stick around will be part of a competitive ND team in a couple years.
My capacity for sympathy is particularly limited because of how ND and its minions constantly flaunt their silver spoon of institutional privilege. Muffet et al. love to wax diarrheically poetic about the "40-year decision" as the grand selling point. I don't easily feel sorry for people who gravitate toward an elitist country-club mentality.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There is no way Uconn scores 100 against DePaul.

Hardly our goal. If we get into such a deluge with no structure, that does not bode well for us.

Reaction Score
It's far from an exact science, but in any given year there are multiple teams with double-digit losses that get at-large bids.

The selection committee typically places a huge value on having wins over teams in the RPI top 50 in deciding which bubble teams get in. So a team can have lots of losses and still get in if they have those top-50 wins.

Thanks again...I was looking at past years trying to understand how FSU at 23-12 got in the year before last while St. Bonaventure 25-7 (with RPI of 24) was assigned to the play in game with UCLA.

Is SOS not incorporated into RPI...or, maybe considered separately...

I think I might have it...those considerations by "quadrant"...not something us casual fans were aware of.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kayla McBride joining the staff? I did not hear that one?
KMac is the Player Development Program Manager. I didn't know she was on the staff, but she was in the handshake line on Sunday.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Here’s something else to consider. If I’m Danielle Cosgrove and my HC just played 2 walk-ons ahead of me, while indicating that I couldn’t keep up with DePaul, I’m not considering transferring at the end of the season. I’m considering transferring at the end of the semester to a school where I can play next season in the spring semester.

That would leave Vaughn as ND’s only player over 6’2”, and while she’s good when she’s healthy, there is certainly a risk. While Cosgrove is limited, 6’4” players don’t grow on trees.

Benz only played two minutes to Cosgrove's one. I don't think the distinction is meaningful. Besides the starting 5, Katie Cole is the only one that was really ahead of Cosgrove

And I think Katie Cole is simply a more effective option against a small, quick team than Danielle Cosgrove is.

Muffet's supposed to sit the player she thinks is more likely to contribute to a win because she doesn't want to hurt the tall girl's feelings?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My capacity for sympathy is particularly limited because of how ND and its minions constantly flaunt their silver spoon of institutional privilege. Muffet et al. love to wax diarrheically poetic about the "40-year decision" as the grand selling point. I don't easily feel sorry for people who gravitate toward an elitist country-club mentality.

I don't know. "40 year decision" is just a marketing catchphrase about ND offering a very good education and strong alumni network...which...seem like perfectly reasonable things to gravitate towards as a teenager plotting her future?

But I have an exceptionally high tolerance for elitist nonsense or I would have never made it through 4 years at UChicago.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't really think they "made their bed" in the sense that they could have had no idea when they signed for ND that the roster would be this depleted. They would have expected Young, Patterson, Nixon, Vaughn, and Prohaska to be playing alongside them.

Sure, they "made their bed" in a sense that they chose evil Muffet and evil ND. But they thought they would have so many more evil cohorts to help them in their nefarious efforts!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Benz only played two minutes to Cosgrove's one. I don't think the distinction is meaningful. Besides the starting 5, Katie Cole is the only one that was really ahead of Cosgrove

And I think Katie Cole is simply a more effective option against a small, quick team than Danielle Cosgrove is.

Muffet's supposed to sit the player she thinks is more likely to contribute to a win because she doesn't want to hurt the tall girl's feelings?
I’m sure MM did what she had to do vs DePaul. That doesn’t make it any easier for Cosgrove to accept. The fact is, in the fall semester of her sophomore year, on a team without a lot of size or depth, her minutes are limited, and the prospect of PT next year when, presumably, reinforcements arrive, will be even more limited. Under the circumstances would it surprise anyone if Cosgrove decides to go elsewhere where she has a chance to actually play?

Reaction Score
So that's what a game is like with 2 good announcers. Great communication of all issues and several petinent sidebars. Does anyone know who called the game.
I haven't heard one lately. Glad they still exist. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm worried that her bitterness and on the sideline antics are going to lead to some of these players' transfers after this season. She has been harsh, but I get it frustrating for her. If she doesn't tone it down, she's going to be playing with all new players next year as well.
MM's issues this year makes me appreciate Geno and the UConn coaching staff more. Geno anticipates and figures out a way to get transfers, frosh from Poland, etc. While UConn does have transfers out, we usually also recruit the Molly's and Kyla's, players who appear happy trading minutes played for the UConn experience and stay 4 years. We may or may not lose more games than usual this year but still have an exciting, competitive team.

Reaction Score
I don't really think they "made their bed" in the sense that they could have had no idea when they signed for ND that the roster would be this depleted. They would have expected Young, Patterson, Nixon...to be playing alongside them.

Sure, they "made their bed" in a sense that they chose evil Muffet and ND. But they thought they would have so many more evil cohorts to help them in their nefarious efforts!
Yeah that second version is what I meant :D:D

But I guess nowadays, with all the transfer mobility, even selling your soul isn’t necessarily permanent...

Reaction Score
Shoots 16 for 29 from 3pt line... We've got to defend that next week!
Sounds like a DEFENSIVE FEST. Also sounds like Uconn will set a record for rebounding against Doug Bruno's team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom