Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94

Reaction Score
This year ND is a bottom line example of how coach usually has to have a modicum of talent to accomplish anything. It is very difficult to compare coach's abilities because they are working with different resources. Many had put Muffet in the elite coaching category based on her record the decade. She certainly does not look elite this year. The question is how many coaches usually are working with the level of players she has this year. Another would be as to how many coaches would look elite if they had elite talent to work with.

Some coaches do better with less, while some operating with less would not know what do even if the had more to work with.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Indeed.

So that's what a game is like with 2 good announcers. Great communication of all issues and several petinent sidebars. Does anyone know who called the game.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I just watched MM’s postgame presser, and the way she threw her team under the bus, I thought I was listening to HW again.

In addition, at the beginning of the video I’m reasonably certain that a hot mic picks up MM breaking the 3rd commandment under her breath.

10 Our Fathers & 10 Hail Marys. :oops:
i could not believe the things she said about her own team. It got to the point where it did sound like Holly explaining she coached them right and they didn't execute. Bad night for MM.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
"Sam Brunelle"?
Is it Brunel, Brunell, or Brunelle? Brunelle? You, sir, are correct! Let's go down to Holly Rowe. Holly, what do we have for the winner? Thank you Kevin. Muffet McGraw has been kind enough to donate this red Hermès scarf . . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm worried that her bitterness and on the sideline antics are going to lead to some of these players' transfers after this season. She has been harsh, but I get it frustrating for her. If she doesn't tone it down, she's going to be playing with all new players next year as well.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This year ND is a bottom line example of how coach usually has to have a modicum of talent to accomplish anything. It is very difficult to compare coach's abilities because they are working with different resources. Many had put Muffet in the elite coaching category based on her record the decade. She certainly does not look elite this year. The question is how many coaches usually are working with the level of players she has this year. Another would be as to how many coaches would look elite if they had elite talent to work with.

Some coaches do better with less, while some operating with less would not know what do even if the had more to work with.

I'm just going to keep saying my catchphrase for this ND season - "It turns out losing your nine best players is bad"

Still playing a schedule befitting a top 5 team hasn't helped.

I saw a tweet from Oregon touting their upcoming games against Loyola Marymount and Long Beach State. Must be nice.

This group will improve over the course of the year and getting Vaughn (and maybe Prohaska?) back will help a great deal. I just hope Muffet doesn't lose the locker room first.

Niele Ivey's ray of sunshine disposition would be a big help right about now.

Reaction Score
She looked like she was about to cry, or had already done so.

Last night was not Muffet's best coaching job.
That press conference was brutal! Muffed threw the entire team, with the exception of Brunelle, under the bus. She sounded like she didn’t even like them (her team)! That must be pretty disheartening to hear that from your coach!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many of us have wondered why Patterson and Nixon, 2 players who were clearly penciled in to ND’s starting lineup this season, would transfer after last season. While Jackie Young turned pro, she could have stayed to complete her senior year. Perhaps the answer to both these mysteries can be seen in MM’s postgame presser. In all honesty the level of frustration and anger she displayed towards her team was shocking.

I have noticed with some admiration that ND fans like Dillon, Orangutan and many others on McGraw’s Bench are demonstrating a commendable level of patience and understanding as this ND teams goes through a rough patch. I don’t understand why MM doesn’t demonstrate a similar level of patience with a team that clearly doesn’t have the horses to compete at a high level this year. If she runs off one or two key players, in addition to those who have already left, it will make the job that much harder next season.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Objectively, I don't think MM was significantly harsher than most coaches on her players. The ND system like UConn requires more than physical skills and when some of the players don't get it, it can look really bad and she takes pride that ND should put out a good looking product. For me, the biggest issue with MM in contrast to Geno is that she really does not have a sense of humor, sarcasm or irony.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She looked like she was about to cry, or had already done so.

Last night was not Muffet's best coaching job.
Delusional or selective memory “we have been in every game, could have won every game”. Against UCONN the game was done in the first quarter. It was just a matter of when to pull back. I think Geno actually exhibited some sympathy in the second half.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm just going to keep saying my catchphrase for this ND season - "It turns out losing your nine best players is bad"

Still playing a schedule befitting a top 5 team hasn't helped.

I saw a tweet from Oregon touting their upcoming games against Loyola Marymount and Long Beach State. Must be nice.

This group will improve over the course of the year and getting Vaughn (and maybe Prohaska?) back will help a great deal. I just hope Muffet doesn't lose the locker room first.

Niele Ivey's ray of sunshine disposition would be a big help right about now.
Well, take heart. Notre Dame's next game is against Guelph :)

But seriously: ND is currently #45 in the Massey ratings, which by mid-December have enough data to claim some measure of validity, and ND is shown as favored in 14 out of the 18 ACC regular season games. That's not even reflecting the boost they'll get from Vaughn and how much they figure to improve as a young team.

1576243628815.png

It's very reasonable to think ND will go 13-5 or better in the ACC regular season plus 1 or 2 wins in the ACC tournament. That would make them at least 19-13 on the season, which with their schedule should enough for an at-large bid.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Many of us have wondered why Patterson and Nixon, 2 players who were clearly penciled in to ND’s starting lineup this season, would transfer after last season. While Jackie Young turned pro, she could have stayed to complete her senior year. Perhaps the answer to both these mysteries can be seen in MM’s postgame presser. In all honesty the level of frustration and anger she displayed towards her team was shocking.

I have noticed with some admiration that ND fans like Dillon, Orangutan and many others on McGraw’s Bench are demonstrating a commendable level of patience and understanding as this ND teams goes through a rough patch. I don’t understand why MM doesn’t demonstrate a similar level of patience with a team that clearly doesn’t have the horses to compete at a high level this year. If she runs off one or two key players, in addition to those who have already left, it will make the job that much harder next season.

Oldude: Thanks for voicing your observation.
I'll try to summarize the way a lot of ND fans (primarily located on the Bench) are taking this:
- The team (the players and most coaches) are giving it everything they have. For a whole variety of reasons (more on that later), there's just not enough horses (to stay with your metaphor) at this moment. They're pretty darn good horses, but unlike the run in 2017-18, they're either young, coming back from year(s) off and not used to one another. It shows. They'll frequently fall behind while figuring out what they're up against, then charge back only to run out of gas.
- Still, save for the UConn game, they're hanging in there, making it competitive and showing improvement. Maybe not to the taste of MM, but I think it's pretty admirable for first-year players or those who have been on sidelines for years (Destinee Walker).
- Once again, the current players have nothing to do with the shortened roster: that's MM's baliwick and responsibility. There have been massive threads dedicated to recruiting and retention and that some personnel issues need to be addressed in either insuring the right person is recruited and then nurtured and retained. It's simply not a matter of playing time (all the time). Many think that's one reason why younger (Michaela Mabrey) and/or accomplished (Kayla McBride) are joining the staff.
- That said, the sideline behavior and press conference were completey unacceptable. MM, candidly, can be caustic in the best of circumstances, but that was a low point. Sam Brunelle has her career high by 12 points and her reaction: "she should've had 40." Thank Touchdown Jesus that Sam wasn't in the room (but she'll see it soon enough). The most mature ND adults in the presser were Anaya Peoples and Sam Brunelle. They deserve better.
- I'm hoping good friend Carol Owens has a chat with her or husband and advisor Matt does the same. If not, AD Jack Swarbrick needs to pop up at a few games.
- Not giving a mulligan here, but hoping the finals/Xmas break gives coaches and players a chance to recharge and start anew. Of course, if Mik Vaughn's ankle could get better, that would help a bunch, too.

Keep the faith, Irish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So that's what a game is like with 2 good announcers. Great communication of all issues and several petinent sidebars. Does anyone know who called the game.
I believe that was CPTV's Bob Picozzi and Meghan Culmo. "Some" people on the BY used to complain about them quite extensively.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

But seriously: ND is currently #45 in the Massey ratings, which by mid-December have enough data to claim some measure of validity, and ND is shown as favored in 14 out of the 18 ACC regular season games. That's not even reflecting the boost they'll get from Vaughn and how much they figure to improve as a young team.

View attachment 49106

It's very reasonable to think ND will go 13-5 or better in the ACC regular season plus 1 or 2 wins in the ACC tournament. That would make them at least 19-15 on the season, which with their schedule should enough for an at-large bid.

That's pretty much what we're hanging our hats on, Plebe. If Vaughn can return (knock on wood), she'd address so many of the current issues (can you say rebounding, defensive presence). And, miracle of miracles, if Prohaska's lung issues clear up, that would a present: her defensive intensity and grit is apparent by it's absence. That flaming redhead can close out a shooter awfully well. (Still, health is #1: get better, Abby!)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oldude: Thanks for voicing your observation.
I'll try to summarize the way a lot of ND fans (primarily located on the Bench) are taking this:
- The team (the players and most coaches) are giving it everything they have. For a whole variety of reasons (more on that later), there's just not enough horses (to stay with your metaphor) at this moment. They're pretty darn good horses, but unlike the run in 2017-18, they're either young, coming back from year(s) off and not used to one another. It shows. They'll frequently fall behind while figuring out what they're up against, then charge back only to run out of gas.
- Still, save for the UConn game, they're hanging in there, making it competitive and showing improvement. Maybe not to the taste of MM, but I think it's pretty admirable for first-year players or those who have been on sidelines for years (Destinee Walker).
- Once again, the current players have nothing to do with the shortened roster: that's MM's baliwick and responsibility. There have been massive threads dedicated to recruiting and retention and that some personnel issues need to be addressed in either insuring the right person is recruited and then nurtured and retained. It's simply not a matter of playing time (all the time). Many think that's one reason why younger (Michaela Mabrey) and/or accomplished (Kayla McBride) are joining the staff.
- That said, the sideline behavior and press conference were completey unacceptable. MM, candidly, can be caustic in the best of circumstances, but that was a low point. Sam Brunelle has her career high by 12 points and her reaction: "she should've had 40." Thank Touchdown Jesus that Sam wasn't in the room (but she'll see it soon enough). The most mature ND adults in the presser were Anaya Peoples and Sam Brunelle. They deserve better.
- I'm hoping good friend Carol Owens has a chat with her or husband and advisor Matt does the same. If not, AD Jack Swarbrick needs to pop up at a few games.
- Not giving a mulligan here, but hoping the finals/Xmas break gives coaches and players a chance to recharge and start anew. Of course, if Mik Vaughn's ankle could get better, that would help a bunch, too.

Keep the faith, Irish.

Kayla McBride joining the staff? I did not hear that one?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Ok, I don't usually defend Muffett, however she did not say that. She was talking about running a hi/lo for Brunelle and then it was mentioned Brunell had 31, she said if they had someone who could pass, she would have had 40. It wasn't a dis on Brunelle. Actually a compliment to Brunelle. Granted a dis on some other players, but not Brunelle.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Objectively, I don't think MM was significantly harsher than most coaches on her players. The ND system like UConn requires more than physical skills and when some of the players don't get it, it can look really bad and she takes pride that ND should put out a good looking product. For me, the biggest issue with MM in contrast to Geno is that she really does not have a sense of humor, sarcasm or irony.

I can speak to this because I've met her on numerous occasions. In person, she can be engaging and has a bit of a South Philly/New Jersey caustic sense of humor. Being a Long Islander, I can relate to the give and take. However, she is very straight forward in her approach and this can take people off guard or fall flat. The irony is not part of the arsenal.

My issue with the presser (see another post) is that this is pretty much the third straight game where she's pounding on lessons taught not being employed. Well, as the husband of a teacher and being a guy who coached AAU soccer for a decade, go back to the drawing board: Compare notes with other coaches, teachers, confidentes. Brunelle, Gilbert and Peoples (a special young person) are keepers. Make their growth a priority.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

She's got one of those funky staff titles: director of player personnel/development. When you look at the sideline, look for Michaela Mabrey and you'll see her with her hair pulled back wearing stylish glasses.

It may not be for the full year (she's got to start getting ready for the WNBA), but K-Mac is apparently dipping her foot in the water seeing if this may be a post-playing career option. She and Natalie Achonwa are known as two of the hardest-working players in MM's arsenal. In fact, Ace has said she wants to coach. (No prisoners would be taken with Ace!)_

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's got one of those funky staff titles: director of player personnel/development. When you look at the sideline, look for Michaela Mabrey and you'll see her with her hair pulled back wearing stylish glasses.

It may not be for the full year (she's got to start getting ready for the WNBA), but K-Mac is apparently dipping her foot in the water seeing if this may be a post-playing career option. She and Natalie Achonwa are known as two of the hardest-working players in MM's arsenal. In fact, Ace has said she wants to coach. (No prisoners would be taken with Ace!)_

I am a big McBride fan. Super tough kid who went all out and cared about winning more than anything. Wears her emotions on her sleeve.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It can be extremely difficult for a coach to change, particularly one who’s been at it for 30-40 years and has experienced enormous success. Two seasons ago, Geno went through a transformation after a particularly difficult situation with 4 freshmen players, 3 of whom are no longer with UConn. To anyone who has observed Geno since, clearly he has changed the way he deals with his players. He may still chide them in public, but it’s more of a gentle nudge than a harsh rebuke. When Megan came out of the ND game in the 4th qtr, Geno uncharacteristically hugged her. Such displays of affection used to be confined to seniors playing their last game.

This idea might be anathema to MM, but perhaps she can learn something from the stubborn old curmudgeon in Storrs. If Geno can change his approach, maybe MM can change her approach as well.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

But seriously: ND is currently #45 in the Massey ratings, which by mid-December have enough data to claim some measure of validity, and ND is shown as favored in 14 out of the 18 ACC regular season games.

Ah yes, the inexplicable midseason exhibition vs. Guelph.

But yes we are in agreement and I made the same point on the Bench to someone who wrote about ND struggling and not having even reached conference play yet. Conference play is where it figures to get easier!

I honestly don't care about making the NCAA tournament. I feel like Jim Mora in his famous rant

"Playoffs!? I just hope we can win a game!"

Plebe

Reaction Score
At the start of the UConn-ND game broadcast, when they show Geno greeting the ND coaches, you can see Geno stop to exchange some friendly repartee with Kayla. It's apparent the level of mutual respect they have for each other.
1576246597231.png

Dillon77

Reaction Score
At the start of the UConn-ND game broadcast, when they show Geno greeting the ND coaches, you can see Geno stop to exchange some friendly repartee with Kayla. It's apparent the level of mutual respect they have for each other.
View attachment 49107

In addition to some battle royals (royales?) when K-Mac was playing and Geno (obviously) coaching, she's attended a couple of training camps when he was coaching the National Team. You can certainly see the respect and I totally get why.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Here's the video clip, which shows the quality of interaction even better:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member