Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
former NJ Shore Conference's Kelly Campbell chipped in with 12 points, 14 rebounds and 9 assists...............not bad for a Jersey kid.............. ;)

Only on a team like DePaul would your point guard lead the team in rebounds (while still racking up a team-leading 9 assists). Just missed the triple double.

She and Stonewall were key to that win in my bleary-eyed estimation.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
When was the last time Notre Dame lost so many games, especially so early in the season?

I think it was in the early 90s...something I can barely remember. Wish I could say the same about this :(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have to give Doug Bruno credit. He does more with less than any coach in WBB. He doesn’t have any size. While DePaul has a couple of nice athletes, the Blue Demons are not an exceptionally athletic team. They don’t rebound well. They turn the ball over too much and if you break their press DePaul’s on-ball defense is almost nonexistent. And yet, they are really good at turning a basketball game into a playground free for all. They can shoot lights out and they play really hard.

They are avg. 14.8. UCONN is avg 13. So they are not too bad.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
31 pts vs DePaul’s Lilliputians does not a POY make. The same player scored exactly 4 pts vs the Huskies, being largely shut down by Kyla Irwin.

Oh 'cmon Oldude, did you slip some vinegar in your early-morning coffee?
Without question, Sam and DePaul's Stonewall were the only players over 6' tall last night, but she delivered offensively, just like the doctor (or even the coach) ordered. I remember Jessica Shepard did the same her junior year on the same court.

As for Kyla Irwin largely "shutting her down," I'm sure you hit the send button before noting that Sam was only in the first half ;) before doing something to her knee.

The POY is indeed some hyperbole perhaps brought on by eating Cap'n Crunch in the morning, but Sam can -- and did -- put the ball in the basket, as did fellow frosh Anaya Peoples. They've just got to stop the other team from doing it more often! :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Without question, Sam and DePaul's Stonewall were the only players over 6' tall last night, but she delivered offensively, just like the doctor (or even the coach) ordered. I remember Jessica Shepard did the same her junior year on the same court.

As for Kyla Irwin largely "shutting her down," I'm sure you hit the send button before noting that Sam was only in the first half ;) before doing something to her knee.

The POY is indeed some hyperbole perhaps brought on by eating Cap'n Crunch in the morning, but Sam can -- and did -- put the ball in the basket, as did fellow frosh Anaya Peoples. They've just got to stop the other team from doing it more often! :rolleyes:
Back in prehistoric times, I grew to 6’ tall at the age of 12. I used to dominate local youth league basketball playing center against far smaller opponents. Unfortunately, I topped out at 6’2” and the skinny little kids I was playing against got taller and more athletic, plus I was vertically challenged :(. By the time I got to HS I was hanging around the perimeter as a wing or shooting guard.

In all honesty, SB is better than I thought she would be. But seriously, against DePaul’s little team, she looked like Shaquille O’Neal last night.

Reaction Score
Only on a team like DePaul would your point guard lead the team in rebounds (while still racking up a team-leading 9 assists). Just missed the triple double.

Not true. Oregon State is nothing like DePaul, and Mikayla Pivec (guard) has led OSU in rebounding a number of games over multiple seasons.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not true. Oregon State is nothing like DePaul, and Mikayla Pivec (guard) has led OSU in rebounding a number of games over multiple seasons.

It's ok, LoTrader, I'm not attacking your beloved Beavers. I'm well aware of Pivec's rebounding talents, given they've played the Irish. In fact, I think she is averaging (close to) double figures.
But she's not the ostensible

Actually, she's leading the team in rebounding average and assists, although in the latter she, Goodman and Slocum all average in the "5's" per game. And, of course, she's also leading the Beavers in scoring, so she's a Beaver of a different color altogether.

I'm well aware of Pivec's value as an overall player and teammate, having watched her many times and the time(s?) she played ND. Tough kid. Does a lot of things for that team that Maddie Cable or Jackie Young (more recently) used to do for ND: score, rebound, pass. And all quite well.

I was obviously referring to the game last night where Campbell nearly has a triple double, while running the point. The main difference I see between the two is Pivec scores a bunch, while Campbell is also the key person with the ball on a string, while Pivec shares it with Goodman and Slocum. Look forward to the conference slate of games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Back in prehistoric times, I grew to 6’ tall at the age of 12. I used to dominate local youth league basketball playing center against far smaller opponents. Unfortunately, I topped out at 6’2” and the skinny little kids I was playing against got taller and more athletic, plus I was vertically challenged :(. By the time I got to HS I was hanging around the perimeter as a wing or shooting guard.

In all honesty, SB is better than I thought she would be. But seriously, against DePaul’s little team, she looked like Shaquille O’Neal last night.
After SB was abused by Liv, no wonder she saw fresh guppies in the water

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After SB was abused by Liv, no wonder she saw fresh guppies in the water
Liv was only part of the problem. Both Kyla and Aubrey took turns locking her down.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liv was only part of the problem. Both Kyla and Aubrey took turns locking her down.
I was referring more to the manhandling Liv did on SB in the post.

Reaction Score

i don’t know Dillion...remember the game when Moriah Jefferson was defending Kayla McBride from just trying to walk out to inbound the ball. You can totally shut down someone not in the game :D:D

Reaction Score
DePaul plays fast so I expect UConn’s transition game to score big.
I am picturing a lot of full court drives for layups by Williams and Griffin. Tough for any team to prepare for their speed and power in transition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Muffet looks unhinged. She seemed over the top all game. Perhaps this team could use a calm and steady leader on the sideline.

I just watched MM’s postgame presser, and the way she threw her team under the bus, I thought I was listening to HW again.

In addition, at the beginning of the video I’m reasonably certain that a hot mic picks up MM breaking the 3rd commandment under her breath.

10 Our Fathers & 10 Hail Marys. :oops:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Campbell and Stonewall both had to sit in the 1st half due to foul trouble, which really allowed ND to take the lead as they did. No doubt those two are the heart and soul of the team, even when Morris is torching the nets like this.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fairfield Fan said: When was the last time Notre Dame lost so many games, especially so early in the season?
I think it was in the early 90s...something I can barely remember. Wish I could say the same about this :(
I looked in the media guide for the answer.
  • The last time Notre Dame lost 7+ games **in an entire season** was the 2010-11 season, which ended at 31-8 with a loss in the championship game to Texas A&M.

• The last time ND lost 7+ **out of their first 12 games** was the 1991-92 season (Muffet's 5th at ND). They started that season 3-8, then 4-11, then 6-14. They still won the Midwestern Collegiate Conference tournament (beating Dayton, Detroit and Xavier) and then lost to UCLA in the NCAAT 1st round, finishing their season 14-17. This was the last time ND had a losing season.

• Other seasons in Muffet's tenure when ND got off to a poor start:
    1997-98: started 3-4, finished 22-10 (lost to Purdue in Sweet 16)
    2001-02: started 2-4, finished 20-10 (lost to Tennessee in 2nd round)
    2003-04: started 3-4, finished 21-11 (lost to Penn State in Sweet 16)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
i don’t know Dillion...remember the game when Moriah Jefferson was defending Kayla McBride from just trying to walk out to inbound the ball. You can totally shut down someone not in the game :D:D

Gee, you're doing me a public service forcing my brain to remember! I do remember MJ and friends keeping so tight on K-Mac at times that she'd be launching three's from way beyond the arc so she could get off a clean look. Intensity much? ;)

I looked in the media guide for the answer.
  • The last time Notre Dame lost 7+ games **in an entire season** was the 2010-11 season, which ended at 31-8 with a loss in the championship game to Texas A&M.

• The last time ND lost 7+ **out of their first 12 games** was the 1991-92 season (Muffet's 5th at ND). They started that season 3-8, then 4-11, then 6-14. They still won the Midwestern Collegiate Conference tournament (beating Dayton, Detroit and Xavier) and then lost to UCLA in the NCAAT 1st round, finishing their season 14-17. This was the last time ND had a losing season.

• Other seasons in Muffet's tenure when ND got off to a poor start:
    1997-98: started 3-4, finished 22-10 (lost to Purdue in Sweet 16)
    2001-02: started 2-4, finished 20-10 (lost to Tennessee in 2nd round)
    2003-04: started 3-4, finished 21-11 (lost to Penn State in Sweet 16)

Thanks, Plebe. Well, at least I remembered the right decade! :rolleyes:
The silver lining this year (one hopes) is that Gilbert, Peoples and Brunelle are getting plenty of experience so they can mesh with the incoming 2020 class. Vaughn should be bac, too, but I don't want to jinx her at this point. ;)
, but knowing K-Mac she got back at MoJeff by launching threes from 5 to 10 feet beyound the arc! That three-OT game still reverberates in my brain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom