Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94 | The Boneyard

Depaul Tops ND 105 to 94

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Heck of a game. Seemingly not a lot of defense, but tons of offense. DePaul en fuego from beyond the arc. UCONN will need to disrupt that for sure. We've given teams open looks from beyond the arc but they have not knocked them down so it's been an illusion of decent 3-point defense...

But anyone who watches the game, coaches included, know we aren't stellar in our defense there... We will see soon enough if we are good enough at it...

Reaction Score
Yeah. It was a good game. Notre Dame has the lead for a while. I have to agree though, if DePaul is hot from three (and they will shoot a ton of them) UConn will be in for a long night. They don’t defend at all from the perimeter.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They let a team like ND score 94 points, how many do you think UConn will score? I believe it will be a lot more than ND.
You may be right but... If UCONN gets up 20 or more, Geno may decide to slow the roll, so to speak. Try to get the game to more of a half court affair. It was high flying because it was a close game (ND vs. DePaul), so no one took their foot off the gas...

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Yeah. It was a good game. Notre Dame has the lead for a while. I have to agree though, if DePaul is hot from three (and they will shoot a ton of them) UConn will be in for a long night. They don’t defend at all from the perimeter.

". . . at all"?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I see from the box score that DePaul attempted 84 shots in the game, compared to 68 shot attempts for Notre Dame. Presumably that was due mostly to ND's 27 turnovers (geesh!) compared to a "mere" 19 for DePaul. Offensive rebounds were essentially the same: 16 vs. 15. Notre Dame took 21 free throws compared to DePaul's 6 (of which DePaul only hit 3), and that advantage of 11 points at the free throw line was almost sufficient to offset DePaul's advantage of 12 more made 3's. The difference came down mostly to 43 made field goals by DePaul vs. 39 for ND (even though ND shot 57% for the game).

The moral of the story is that even if DePaul takes and makes as many 3's against UConn as they did against ND, UConn should still win if it can take as many total shots as DePaul. With the expected UConn edge on the offensive boards (which ND did not have), that certainly should happen. And hopefully, UConn won't have 27 turnovers against DePaul (but you never know).

HGN

Reaction Score
Brunel is a beast, a possible future POY, though the competition from UConn players will be tough.
Dokey, I watched that game , no defense was really being played by either team. As you say , Brunell was a beast tonight with 31pts. But no defense was being played And she was a giant among sub-6 footers. I am not sure DePaul has anyone 6'2 to match up with Brunell. So she had her way with them.

So if one liked offense this was the game to watch.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Bruno will have DePaul ready for this game... He understands the magnitude of the this game and he will be looking to make history. Can UConn control tempo?

Reaction Score
DePaul likes to play up and down but today they were playing fast and shooting fast, even for DePaul. It's becoming clear that teams know N Dame is short-benched and is forced to play some young and inexperienced players who have shown fatigue late in games. The Irish shot well in the 1st half. 61% (60%) and as stated above the defense was thin. Fatigue showed up in unforced errors in the 2nd half and was the main reason they lost.

Reaction Score
As far as the UConn game I expect Makurat to shine. She is big enough to shoot over the DePaul defenders and should be relaxed after finishing her first final exams in a second language. UConn is both much more talented than N Dame but also taller. DePaul has no body who can guard ONO.

If the 3's fall DePaul can upset.

Reaction Score
Dokey, I watched that game , no defense was really being played by either team. As you say , Brunell was a beast tonight with 31pts. But no defense was being played And she was a giant among sub-6 footers. I am not sure DePaul has anyone 6'2 to match up with Brunell. So she had her way with them.

So if one liked offense this was the game to watch.
In a game where 199 combined points are scored and you want to claim no one played defense? Lol. This was offense, nothing but offense. Yeah, her numbers are skewed, everyone’s numbers are skewed. But she made difficult shots, she fought under the basket, some of her jumpers were outrageous. But you and anyone can ask, myself included, to quote Geno, can she guard a chair? In this game, the chair scores double digits. Still, the question you have to ask is how would you like her if she were in a UConn uniform? Still, my come away from the game is I think UConn’s transition game runs DePaul off the court. DePaul won’t have a chance to hit as many threes. The chair goes scoreless.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to give Doug Bruno credit. He does more with less than any coach in WBB. He doesn’t have any size. While DePaul has a couple of nice athletes, the Blue Demons are not an exceptionally athletic team. They don’t rebound well. They turn the ball over too much and if you break their press DePaul’s on-ball defense is almost nonexistent. And yet, they are really good at turning a basketball game into a playground free for all. They can shoot lights out and they play really hard.

UConn will probably hit triple digits vs DePaul and likely beat them soundly, but the Blue Demons sure are fun to watch.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the game. Geno will have UConn ready. No Worries. No Defense by DePaul will cost them. ND was in the game right up to the last 2 minutes. Thats not good. A team that didnt score 60 pts against UConn scores over 90 against DePaul. Im not worried in the least. We beat Depaul by 20+.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom