DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
DePaul shoots surprisingly well from deep.

Fouls need to go down, although I think when we go into the NCAA’s that style of play/referring benefits us.
Or not. Absolutely need to get smarter with fouls. Way too many given. Can’t give 10 minutes of bonus.

Reaction Score
We all know Andre can’t shoot, but his athleticism is insane. Because of this, why don’t we send him into the post more? He’s guarded by a wing his size or smaller normally, and he can rise above pretty much any defender to (hopefully) hit a short jumper or layup. Plus, he’s a good passer when he’s not forcing it. Seems like something that has to happen, because having him camp outside the 3 point line allowing the defense to clog the lane hurts us too much. If none of this is feasible, he really needs minutes cut. He hurts us too much in the current offensive set up, and his defense hasn’t even been good enough to make up for it.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why we play a 1-3-1 with Sanogo and DC in the game?

Reaction Score
Hard to say much about this one. After all DePaul is consistently among the worst basketball teams in the Big East and barely a major program. Let’s be honest. They would be hard pressed to finish in the top half of the A10. And please don’t tell me about their NET or whatever gigo rating you want. But a win was desperately needed and we got it. Now on to Georgetown. This stretch of cupcakes certainly came at a good time.

Reaction Score
NO PLAYER should average more than 30 mpg the rest of the season
Bad take. This isn't the nba. College doesn't play back to backs or 80+ games a season. Heck uconn just had a week off.

Kemba played 35 mins per game his sophomore year and 37 mins per game his junior year.
Shabazz played 35/37/35 mins per game his last 3 years.
Ben Gordon played 33 and 34 mins per game his last two years.
Last years national player of the year (a big man) played over 30 mins a game.

Good players should be trusted to play that many minutes. This isn't a pitch count.

Reaction Score
The kid is a junior. It's about time that he learned to not jump through the roof of the gym biting on every pump fake. It's also about time he learned to consistently think before passing. Doesn't matter if you've got Pistol Pete court vision (allegedly) if you don't use it.
How about if he learned to keep his mouth shut. At least when he is within earshot of a referee

Reaction Score
We got into that second half tightness thing again for a few minutes and then snapped out of it. They have stretches where they can play so incredibly tight at times with leads. Newton and Hawk snapped them out of it.

There's the bones of a very good team in there.
The pivot toward a flat non scoring time was triggered by several poor passes and playing a bit too fast. This is easily corrected. The bones are very good, just need more connecting tissue! The double bigs brought a new look that had to be a nightmare for the opposition. The high low of Santago at the top with Cligman under worked to perfection as Santago drove for several lay-ups from the top of the key.

Reaction Score
Certain folks will say the double-bigs was the key to the game. ;)

I liked that they got quite a bit of run with it. Some good, some bad came out of it. It’s clearly not “the answer”

Liked Samsons minutes.

Love Hawks & Newtons trajectories!!!

Wish Sanogo could dunk but strong effort from him

Alleyne brought good D but is just pressing too hard to get his offense going. Relax, my dude!
Don't worry about the dunks, more important to do what he is comfortable with and get to the foul line. He did both very well. You drive for show and putt for dough!

Reaction Score
I think it's more important for Alleyne to get mins over Joey...that was my point. They both are not getting starter mins but when rotation tightens I prefer Alleyne.
Having watched these two players from TV, My nod goes to Joey for his BBIQ, led by passing to the bigs and knocking down some threes though that hasn't happened much lately. He just doesn't get the run-on offense. If Cligman is in the game Joey is a great set-up man for him.

Hoping Jackson can drop the hard bounce passes into our bigs and just send a good lob pass. With the on-court traffic these bounce passes can be hard for our bigs to pick-up. Pass to our size up high!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Having watched these two players from TV, My nod goes to Joey for his BBIQ, led by passing to the bigs and knocking down some threes though that hasn't happened much lately. He just doesn't get the run-on offense. If Cligman is in the game Joey is a great set-up man for him.

Hoping Jackson can drop the hard bounce passes into our bigs and just send a good lob pass. With the on-court traffic these bounce passes can be hard for our bigs to pick-up. Pass to our size up high!
The Alleyne vs Joey thing is close on offense, it’s not close on defense, at all. Allyene is much better on the defensive end. Better rebounder, stronger.

Reaction Score
The Alleyne vs Joey thing is close on offense, it’s not close on defense, at all. Allyene is much better on the defensive end. Better rebounder, stronger.
I’m not so sure. Joey has more points and rebounds in less minutes than Nahiem so far this season. Alleyne is probably a better defender but he’s not great. I would have like to have seen Calcaterra out there with the 2 bigs.

Reaction Score
I feel like thats a prime position for Diarra to see more minutes, especially with Newton tightening his grip on the PG spot.
Diarra got burned on an in bounds play last night and never played again

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Alleyne get starter minutes over Jackson. His offense is an unknown to our opponents and would therefore have to be respected. No sagging and it would open things up for Sanogo. Again, let’s get back to the lineups that got us off to a 14-0 start. Andre needs to get out of his head and start using it, but I’m not sure he can with such a limited offensive skill set. He tries to make up for his offense by going for home run defensive plays and ends up getting burned all too often.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Alleyne get starter minutes over Jackson. His offense is an unknown to our opponents and would therefore have to be respected. No sagging and it would open things up for Sanogo. Again, let’s get back to the lineups that got us off to a 14-0 start. Andre needs to get out of his head and start using it, but I’m not sure he can with such a limited offensive skill set. He tries to make up for his offense by going for home run defensive plays and ends up getting burned all too often.
Unknown? He airballed a pull up 3 from the foul line. Do you think coaches who get paid millions of dollars don’t do scouting reports? By unknown do you mean non-existent?

Reaction Score
We all know Andre can’t shoot, but his athleticism is insane. Because of this, why don’t we send him into the post more? He’s guarded by a wing his size or smaller normally, and he can rise above pretty much any defender to (hopefully) hit a short jumper or layup. Plus, he’s a good passer when he’s not forcing it. Seems like something that has to happen, because having him camp outside the 3 point line allowing the defense to clog the lane hurts us too much. If none of this is feasible, he really needs minutes cut. He hurts us too much in the current offensive set up, and his defense hasn’t even been good enough to make up for it.
When we've tried it, it hasn't really worked I think. He's really almost never used a post-up to his advantage offensively that I can remember, although I do think it'd be good for him. When I watch how somebody like Jerome Hunter from Xavier plays, it's hard for me to understand how Andre can't do much of that same stuff, since he has basically all the same tools and more. I do think at this point, he needs to focus on being more of a forward and less of a guard because it's getting too hard to rationalize him spending so much time on the ball.

Reaction Score
Subtle but effective.. Have noticed that Newton and Hawk have been "selling" the refs on getting fouled.. Result--Our two best FT shooters getting to the line with more frequency where they are both money.. Will pay dividends at crunch time in BET/Tournament games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When we've tried it, it hasn't really worked I think. He's really almost never used a post-up to his advantage offensively that I can remember, although I do think it'd be good for him. When I watch how somebody like Jerome Hunter from Xavier plays, it's hard for me to understand how Andre can't do much of that same stuff, since he has basically all the same tools and more. I do think at this point, he needs to focus on being more of a forward and less of a guard because it's getting too hard to rationalize him spending so much time on the ball.
I'll say the same thing I've said before, he plays like he's allergic to contact. Twists away from it, launches floaters instead of going to the rim, angles away from the defender and theows up bank shots. I don't know what his injury history is, and he does have a fairly slight build, but he does not want to bang on people inside. Until he does, he (a) won't get foul calls and (b) makes every shot far more difficult than it would be.

Reaction Score
Removing Jackson from the starting lineup at this point would absolutely torpedo is already teetering confidence no?

He's obviously struggling but he still does a lot f good little things that this team desperately needs and it all might evaporate if his playing time is handle poorly.

Reaction Score
More often than not. Good things happen when the ball is in Newton's hands (esp. last few games).. Jackson is valuable to the team in other aspects of the game.. If he can be a secondary facilitator/distributor rather than a primary ball handler.. Our results are usually better.. He is more effective on D/boards/disruption and when the ball is getting into the hands of our offensive weapons.

Reaction Score

Alleyne was the key to DePaul's second half run. Bad shots early in the shot clock. Turnovers. And his D was sketchy.

BTW, to add some context, for the season Alleyne shoots .330 from the field. Dre shoots .359

Reaction Score
Because they can't play man together, and we needed to stop their shooters. Best zone for that.
With that specific personnel would you not prefer an extended 2-3 or base 3-2 zone? Heck even a 1-2-2.

Reaction Score
With that specific personnel would you not prefer an extended 2-3 or base 3-2 zone? Heck even a 1-2-2.

It isn't about personnel, it's about what we're trying to do with a zone. Yeah, generally speaking I'd prefer to have Sanogo in a zone that doesn't require him to play on the perimeter.

But when Depaul is shooting 45% from deep and we can't plan man... your best option that we've practiced is a 1-3-1. It's designed to stop wing shooters--exactly the shot that was killing us yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom