OT: - DePaul Hiring Porter Moser? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: DePaul Hiring Porter Moser?

Reaction Score
For a football school (which Oklahoma absolutely is), the Sooners have a strong basketball tradition and I doubt anyone had to beg fans to attend.

That said, he never appeared to be a good fit for that school. Good for DePaul if this is real and hopefully he can make them relevant again.
Getting fans to the games has been a problem for a while at Oklahoma.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If true, I wonder if the move to the SEC had anything to do with this.

Unless Moser feels he is on the hot seat and looking to get out before he’s canned to save face… they got to the top 10 this year and then the wheels fell off the Boomer Sooner wagon, although they should still make the tournament this year.

Would be a great hire for DePaul if it happens.

Reaction Score
i dont see why he cant do at Depaul in the BE, what he did at Loyola in whatever conference theyre in

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Didn’t seem to work for Cooley
That's because he forgot the second half for Cooley

Unhappy wife, end of your life

Reaction Score
I won't believe it until it happens, but if Moser ends up at DePaul, that's a GRAND SLAM of a hire for DePaul.
Great for the Big East, too.

Dan Hurley
Greg McDermott
Shaka Smart
Shaheen Holloway
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

That's a good set coaches who are program builders and have interesting personalities.

Reaction Score
I won't believe it until it happens, but if Moser ends up at DePaul, that's a GRAND SLAM of a hire for DePaul.

This would be a dream hire for them. Proven coach, local and probably 10 years of coaching left in him. I figured they'd have to hire some unproven upstart or a has-been.

Reaction Score

Dan Hurley
Greg McDermott
Shaka Smart
Shaheen Holloway
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

That's a good set coaches who are program builders and have interesting personalities.
Hasn’t it been said Sean Miller is getting hired by OSU at end of season?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anything that helps DePaul to become competitive is good

Poe

Reaction Score
The bar is low, like on the ground … he just needs to win one big east game and four overall for a successful season

Reaction Score
no miller and dusty baker were mentioned as their top choices and it should be dusty

Reaction Score
no miller and dusty baker were mentioned as their top choices and it should be dusty
Dusty Baker just retired from managing the Astros ;)

I think you mean the current Florida Atlantic coach Dusty May.

Reaction Score
Just the standard rumors but we the public don't know for sure. Greg McDermott, Creighton's head coach was rumored as well, but he just signed an extension with Creighton.

Reaction Score
My guess is he hasn't liked his time down in Norman. It's a football school where he has to beg the fans to show up, he didn't sign up for the SEC, and he misses home.

DePaul is a disaster but if he can turn it around he's a hero in Chicago and it will become a hard ticket to get. Obviously it's a much bigger hill to climb but think Shaka leaving Texas for Marquette.
Oklahoma has a solid basketball tradition. They’ve been to a number of Final Fours, most recently in 2016. Been the the championship game too a while back around 1990. OU is different than Texas and some of those other B12 schools. Football is #1 but Basketball is a pretty big deal. Actually it is in Oklahoma generally. They and Ok State have long and pretty successful traditions. Basketball is a much bigger deal there than Texas. And they definitely don’t beg people to go to games, at least when they are good. I was there for a game against Kansas a few years back and the place was packed and rocking. They know the game.

What I suspect is Moser is a good coach at the MVC level who is a bit over his head/comfort zone at OU. He has struggled to win the the B12. That was a pretty huge jump. I don’t get why moving to the SEC would be an issue. Arguably not as tough as the B12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Moser must really not trust his AD if he is doing this. It is possible that DePaul flirted with Bobby Hurley to get Moser to move. If so, well played by DePaul.

Reaction Score

Dan Hurley
Greg McDermott
Shaka Smart
Shaheen Holloway
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

This would be a nice hire both for DePaul and Moser for a few reasons. Good coaches mentioned above with a few of them having long term contracts so there’s that stability and commitment. Moser has nowhere to go but up so if he improves their record to 8-12 in conference that’s improvement. He’s familiar with the city and can most likely recruit the local kids to play there. I also have to wonder if the return and success of UConn to the big east raises all boats.

Reaction Score
How much do you have to hate living in Oklahoma to take the job at DePaul?
Have you ever been to Oklahoma? Awful place.

I'll never forget a recruit who visited there, can't remember who it was but I think he was from Texas. He came back home and one of the recruiting services asked him about the visit. The first thing he said was, "It smelled really weird." That's the way to win kids over! Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom