OT: - DePaul Hiring Porter Moser? | The Boneyard

OT: DePaul Hiring Porter Moser?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Great hire for DePaul if true. Hopefully he can turn them around to at least be competitive.

Reaction Score
I know he has Chicago roots from coaching at Loyola-Chicago for the longest time, but I am surprised he would leave from Oklahoma, a P6 conference in basketball and a P5 conference in football with vast amount of money and resources to go to DePaul.

Reaction Score
Having lived in Chicago for half a dozen years. There is a pride in the city by the people who live there that runs very deep. There are definitely Chicago guys who don't want to be anywhere else. If you're a Chicago guy in Oklahoma, I get the desire to return to the city. And this is definitely a midwest guy.

Reaction Score
This would be an incredible hire for Depaul and the conference. The dude can coach. I'm skeptical, but I can buy the taking the hometown job and becoming a local hero.

I have questions about buyout in Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
If this is true, wow. The Big East and its schools put basketball first, and that is a huge attraction to some of these coaches. Sooner hoops is an afterthought, especially with an impending move to the SEC.

Honestly I'm still skeptical that this happens because $$$ will win out 9 times out of 10. But wow, this would be a coup

Reaction Score
Would be a pretty shocking turn of events. Going from Oklahoma to DePaul is a wowza. But he's in the tourny with Oklahoma so won't be official for weeks even if true.

Reaction Score
If this is true, wow. The Big East and its schools put basketball first, and that is a huge attraction to some of these coaches. Sooner hoops is an afterthought, especially with an impending move to the SEC.

Honestly I'm still skeptical that this happens because $$$ will win out 9 times out of 10. But wow, this would be a coup
If this is true, wow.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. But yes, if true, wow.

I am skeptical, too. I won't believe it until if and when it happens. As far as money goes, I would think Oklahoma could offer more than DePaul if they are willing to.

Reaction Score
Moser has struggled in his 3 years at Oklahoma: 53-43 overall and 19-33 in the Big 12. He's going to be 56 and Oklahoma is headed to the SEC next season. I think he would jump to DePaul to reset his career and as his final career stop. He makes ~$2.8 million at Oklahoma so DePaul could match or top that.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Does the coach matter at DePaul? If other investments don't occur it'll just be GT. Supposedly GT is going to invest back into BB but we'll see. Gotta start somewhere though. Glad we've escaped our dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
Hope this is true. This seems like it would be great for DePaul!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are places where a quality coach just won't fit (look at Shaka at Texas) and there is a lot to gain by being somewhere that you are comfortable.

There is a chance he and OU realize that marriage hasn't worked and have discussed a mutual departure at a buyout that could save the school some mo money, save him from getting fired and allow each to pursue their next match a little earlier.

Additionally, he is old enough to have known when DePaul was a significant men's basketball program. This position could be a lot more important in his eyes than a lot of other possible destinations.

Reaction Score
This would be about as good a hire as DePaul could have hoped for considering how awful that program is. Back to his Chicago roots (he took Loyola Chicago to the F4 in 2018 and S16 in 2021)

Great for the league. Another great coach

Reaction Score
Oklahoma in the SEC will be $$ rich. But OU basketball might not have much success in the SEC. He did well at Loyola in the MVC so DePaul could be an interesting landing spot.

"Moser and his wife, Megan, have four children – Jordan, who is a member of OU's women's basketball team, Jake, who is on the Sooners' men's basketball team, Max and Ben."

Reaction Score
My guess is he hasn't liked his time down in Norman. It's a football school where he has to beg the fans to show up, he didn't sign up for the SEC, and he misses home.

DePaul is a disaster but if he can turn it around he's a hero in Chicago and it will become a hard ticket to get. Obviously it's a much bigger hill to climb but think Shaka leaving Texas for Marquette.

Reaction Score
This is the DePaul practice facility, remind you of anything? They also play in a relatively recently built (2017) arena.

Exterior_03+copy.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is he hasn't liked his time down in Norman. It's a football school where he has to beg the fans to show up, he didn't sign up for the SEC, and he misses home.

DePaul is a disaster but if he can turn it around he's a hero in Chicago and it will become a hard ticket to get. Obviously it's a much bigger hill to climb but think Shaka leaving Texas for Marquette.
For a football school (which Oklahoma absolutely is), the Sooners have a strong basketball tradition and I doubt anyone had to beg fans to attend.

That said, he never appeared to be a good fit for that school. Good for DePaul if this is real and hopefully he can make them relevant again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom