OT: - DePaul goes down big | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: DePaul goes down big

Reaction Score
I gave up on the game at half-time but, from what I saw, DePaul players fell into the trap of individual effort rather than team effort. It seemed like every trip down the court, one player would dribble and shoot without any kind of playmaking going on. This included Morrow on one occasion when she dribbled down to the post and then had her shot blocked. In fact, I think she had her shot blocked twice in the first half. I credit Dayton's defense. They may be trouble for Georgia.

Reaction Score
I missed the game. The box score indicates that Morrow piled up an impressive double double while the rest of the team watched. No other blue demon hit double figures in any statistic.
Morrow had defeated body language and slowly went back on defense…and that happened in first half! Not a good look for FOY candidate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno will never bring a team to be a serious post season threat. His teams play lousy D. His teams can be dangerous because they usually can score, but if you can’t defend in the post season, forget about it.

Have they ever actually beat a top 5 caliber team? I'll give Bruno props for making DePaul such a consistent team the last 20 years, but I don't think they've ever pulled a notable upset. Has he ever beat UCONN in his career?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Have they ever actually beat a top 5 caliber team? I'll give Bruno props for making DePaul such a consistent team the last 20 years, but I don't think they've ever pulled a notable upset. Has he ever beat UCONN in his career?
Just off the top of my head, they beat Stanford in the Nneka/Chiney years by like 20.

And voila. Google knows all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Shooting nearly 30 times SHOULD result in at least 10 points (a double).
I’m unimpressed.
Was this the only game you saw her play? Anyone who is not impressed with Morrow is not being fair. Are you impressed with Caitlin Clark? She sometimes takes as many shots as Morrow took just to score 20 plus points. I think one thing that frustrated Morrow is that she is not used to her shot getting blocked as much as it was last night and the lackluster play of her teammates.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Did not represent the BE well. Another embarrassment was the first game. How many teams can win while shooting 20% from the field? I guess it was the team with 20 plus offensive rebounds. Hard to watch
Per Pat Summitt - often misquoted - offense wins fans, defense wins games and rebounding wins championships.

And no, I don't mean it literally, just to reflect on how much good rebounding, and especially on the offensive end, can mean.

As far as the first game, I found it entertaining. Incarnate Word was a dreadful team during the season, under .500, that caught fire in their conference tourney. Gritty and fun to watch, but still not really good basketball. Howard had some really nice plays mixed in to what it seems you get when you are playing a bad team without anything to lose. Howard is good for their level of ball, the MEAC is a long, long way from the Power 5 / Big East and even the A10.

As to DePaul - who would have thought we wouldn't watch the whole game? Epic beatdown. Someone asked about DePaul's style, I can't say that was their style when he started in the '80's - but it has been for as long as we have seen them play, close on 25 years now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched the first half. It was over by then. Dayton was hot, DePaul’s shots were not falling and they didn't match up very well.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Was this the only game you saw her play? Anyone who is not impressed with Morrow is not being fair. Are you impressed with Caitlin Clark? She sometimes takes as many shots as Morrow took just to score 20 plus points. I think one thing that frustrated Morrow is that she is not used to her shot getting blocked as much as it was last night and the lackluster play of her teammates.
Morrow shot 52% on the season. Against UConn over two games she was 20 of 39. In DePaul's late-season win at Creighton she was 16 of 26.

This board is never lacking for folks who draw grand conclusions from a sample size of one. Her 36% clip against Dayton was a season (career) low for her.

Reaction Score
Per Pat Summitt - often misquoted - offense wins fans, defense wins games and rebounding wins championships.

And no, I don't mean it literally, just to reflect on how much good rebounding, and especially on the offensive end, can mean.

As far as the first game, I found it entertaining. Incarnate Word was a dreadful team during the season, under .500, that caught fire in their conference tourney. Gritty and fun to watch, but still not really good basketball. Howard had some really nice plays mixed in to what it seems you get when you are playing a bad team without anything to lose. Howard is good for their level of ball, the MEAC is a long, long way from the Power 5 / Big East and even the A10.

As to DePaul - who would have thought we wouldn't watch the whole game? Epic beatdown. Someone asked about DePaul's style, I can't say that was their style when he started in the '80's - but it has been for as long as we have seen them play, close on 25 years now.
and that's why I don't think Uconn can win it all. Sc and Stanford just look like they have both and at a much higher level.

Reaction Score
All I’m saying is that someone taking that many shots had BETTER score more than 10 points.
Not a critique of her overall game.
I’m much more impressed with her board work that her offensive output.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not top 5 but DePaul beat #9 Kentucky in 2020. They’ve scared a lot of top 5 teams but just haven’t gotten over the hump

Carnac

Reaction Score
Stymie raises a point that I subscribe to. I never draw a conclusion or an opinion about a player or a team early in the season. I don't care what the preseason polls say.

I always wait until they’ve played 5 games. That gives me a large enough sample size to compose an informed opinion. As you know, 1-2 games is not enough. I’ve seen Morrow 5-6 times. I also follow her in their box scores.

I’m convinced she's legit. I believe she has an on-going streak numbering in the high twenties. I assume her numbers will increase each year. What are her numbers going to be her senior year?

If her knees while up, she should be a top 5 draft pick.

Carnac

Reaction Score
All I’m saying is that someone taking that many shots had BETTER score more than 10 points.
Not a critique of her overall game.
I’m much more impressed with her board work that her offensive output.
Stymie, allow me to chime in briefly. There may be a dynamic at work here we don't know about. Morrow is usually her team’s leading scorer. There can be several reasons for that. 1. Her coach wants her to take an abundance of shots, and her teammates are willing to defer to her. 2. Bruno’s game plan calls for them to try to feed her in the low post on a regular basis. 3. She gets a lot of offensive rebounds and has been told by the coaches to put those rebounds right back up.

I’m not throwing any shade on your take of Morrow. While you're not impressed, I am. Another reason she may take a lot of shots is that like yesterday, none of her teammates were scoring, so she at times tries to put the team on her back. The other four on the floor were standing around waiting and expecting HER to make a play much like UConn did Bueckers last year.

I believe that she has set new a record for consecutive double doubles in D1 WCBB. She probably also broke the number of double doubles scored in a single season as well. She was selected as a 2nd team AA for this year. A selection I heartily endorse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She surprised us all as a freshman. She will be double teamed all the time going forward. She will need a reliable supporting cast to keep the defense honest. If not, it could get frustrating for her.

Reaction Score
Stymie, allow me to chime in briefly. There may be a dynamic at work here we don't know about. Morrow is usually her team’s leading scorer. There can be several reasons for that. 1. Her coach wants her to take an abundance of shots, and her teammates are willing to defer to her. 2. Bruno’s game plan calls for them to try to feed her in the low post on a regular basis. 3. She gets a lot of offensive rebounds and has been told by the coaches to put those rebounds right back up.

I’m not throwing any shade on your take of Morrow. While you're not impressed, I am. Another reason she may take a lot of shots is that like yesterday, none of her teammates were scoring, so she at times tries to put the team on her back. The other four on the floor were standing around waiting and expecting HER to make a play much like UConn did Bueckers last year.

I believe that she has set new a record for consecutive double doubles in D1 WCBB. She probably also broke the number of double doubles scored in a single season as well. She was selected as a 2nd team AA for this year. A selection I heartily endorse.

Chime in anytime and feeling no shade.
My thought is that basketball is a team game.
And she puts up numbers. Big numbers.
But that is not the recipe for success.
Dating myself, but whenever I think big numbers, I think a Pistol Pete.
His huge numbers resulted in personal accolades, but did not spell team success.
I’m all about UCONN and the Big East gaining respect.
Just wishing other teams in the BE would step up.

Reaction Score

A volume shooter is a problem on any team. The great ones Maya, Diana, Candace, Stewie, Laureen Jackson, Sylvia Fowles, all could shoot more.
But they are more concerned with winning championships, that's why they pass the ball, and aren't league leader's in shots taken.
Make your teammates better and better shots will come.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A volume shooter is a problem on any team. The great ones Maya, Diana, Candace, Stewie, Laureen Jackson, Sylvia Fowles, all could shoot more.
But they are more concerned with winning championships, that's why they pass the ball, and aren't league leader's in shots taken.
Make your teammates better and better shots will come.

Agreed. Bruno's job for the next 3 years is to surrender her with smart players that can shoot, play defense and make adjustments on the fly.

I’m not a DePaul or Morrow fan. Just an interested observer from afar. I will be watching her for the next 3 years out of curiosity.

Reaction Score
This game magnified DePaul's weaknesses. Their lack of depth was a serious problem for their style fo play. And Kierra Collier was not available for this game (not sure if she was injured?), which only exacerbated their depth issues.

But this game was also flukish in many ways. DePaul led the country in scoring but only put up 57 against Dayton, their lowest total of the season. Only UConn (60), Villanova (64), Creighton (68) and Arizona (68) had held them below 70 all season long. Dayton's defense is good but I don't think it's that good.

And Dayton, a team that averaged less than 6 made 3's per game, hit something like 10 of 12 threes in the first half alone, and at one point made 8 in a row. Some of these shots were from well beyond the arc. That's just flukish stuff, kinda like Villanova shooting over 70% in the NCAA final against Georgetown back in the 80s. Sometimes one team is hot and the other team is cold. That can happen in a "one and done" format.
Villanova had the highest shooting percentage in championship game history shooting almost 79% for the game, including 90% in the second half. When Rollie Massimino was asked how his team managed to shoot 90% from the field in the second half he replied, "We missed a shot."

Reaction Score
Dayton's 13 3 pointers equals 39 points right there, in 23 shot opportunities? It tough for any team to win against shooting like that. That's an anomaly.

Reaction Score

I think Courtney Paris holds the record for consecutive double doubles.

Reaction Score
Morrow is constantly double teamed, hence the low shooting % (9-25, 36%). She did grab 7 offensive rebounds and made 4 blocks. And, oh yeah, she’s a freshman.

Man, tough crowd
At this point in the season there are no freshmen. Ask Geno. :) I like Doug, he's an entertaining guy, but why does DePaul collapse every year in the second half of the season. Surely Doug can see the pattern, but apparently he can't fix it...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
At this point in the season there are no freshmen. Ask Geno. :) I like Doug, he's an entertaining guy, but why does DePaul collapse every year in the second half of the season. Surely Doug can see the pattern, but apparently he can't fix it...
How many NCAA tournaments has the kid been in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom