OT: - DePaul goes down big | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: DePaul goes down big

Reaction Score
Good question that I can’t answer. What I can say is that Bruno was one of the very first coaches to wholly embrace the idea of spreading the floor and firing away from behind the arc.
Doug Bruno once coached in the WBL (professional level) ( in the 1980's? ) He was mentioned in a recent
Sports Illustrated article (print edition) about WBB and the WBL.

Reaction Score
UMass is the team that beat Dayton in the conference final. UMass had a couple of bad losses, but played Dayton tough earlier, and lost to Iowa St. by 5 in the beginning of the season. They're playing Notre Dame Sat. , and would love to see them make it difficult for ND. Don't think they're big enough, though.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Held and Morris did not show up and Collier did not play. I wonder how Morrow feels watching her older teammates seemingly quitting on the coach. The thing is, DePaul should not have received an invitation to the tourney, imo.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Not all is lost. Marquette beat Ball State last night 93-70. Hope they make a deep run in WNIT. Really sad they did not make it into the big dance, but they are making the best of their situation.

Reaction Score
I had DePaul getting to the Sweet 16,,,shows how much i know :eek:

Reaction Score
I want to throw this out for feedback. As great as Morrow is, does anyone think her not typical DePaul ball skills sort of broke up their chemistry? There are multiple experienced prolific scorers on that team that just didn't score the ball as much this season. The 3 ball just wasn't there this year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dayton’s Coach Shauna Green will be on the short list of candidates for a few P5 schools. This is her 6th year at Dayton and she’s been to the post season every year including 4 NCAA Tournaments. The Woman can coach and recruit.

Virginia would do well to hire her- eh @Dillon77 ?
Absolutely should be on the short list (I see what you're doing here, DBB!;))

Shauna Green, based in Ohio, could also look at Illinois, if she wanted to stay in the Midwest. I think she could bring a lot of value to a P5 team with her ability to find solid players via "regular" recruiting (Makira Cook, Jenna Giacone) and transfers (Erin Whalen via Vandy). It might be a good year from Green to consider taking a leap: 4 of her 5 starters are either seniors and/or grad students.

I'm sure this rout has caught the attention of another midwestern RC-affiliated school that has to play an Atlantic 10 team: ND vs UMass up on Saturday evening. On your toes, Irish!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I want to throw this out for feedback. As great as Morrow is, does anyone think her not typical DePaul ball skills sort of broke up their chemistry? There are multiple experienced prolific scorers on that team that just didn't score the ball as much this season. The 3 ball just wasn't there this year.
It seems that DePaul fell victim to “superstar-itis” where players stood around and waited for Aneesa to bail them out. Kind of like UConn before Paige was hurt.

Reaction Score
It seems that DePaul fell victim to “superstar-itis” where players stood around and waited for Aneesa to bail them out. Kind of like UConn before Paige was hurt.
That does hit home.

Reaction Score
We need one of the teams - other than UCONN- to get to the Sweet 16. 2 teams from the BE getting there will offset some of last night’s debacle and hopefully help with recruiting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This game magnified DePaul's weaknesses. Their lack of depth was a serious problem for their style fo play. And Kierra Collier was not available for this game (not sure if she was injured?), which only exacerbated their depth issues.

But this game was also flukish in many ways. DePaul led the country in scoring but only put up 57 against Dayton, their lowest total of the season. Only UConn (60), Villanova (64), Creighton (68) and Arizona (68) had held them below 70 all season long. Dayton's defense is good but I don't think it's that good.

And Dayton, a team that averaged less than 6 made 3's per game, hit something like 10 of 12 threes in the first half alone, and at one point made 8 in a row. Some of these shots were from well beyond the arc. That's just flukish stuff, kinda like Villanova shooting over 70% in the NCAA final against Georgetown back in the 80s. Sometimes one team is hot and the other team is cold. That can happen in a "one and done" format.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I missed the game. The box score indicates that Morrow piled up an impressive double double while the rest of the team watched. No other blue demon hit double figures in any statistic.
Shooting nearly 30 times SHOULD result in at least 10 points (a double).
I’m unimpressed.

Reaction Score
This game magnified DePaul's weaknesses. Their lack of depth was a serious problem for their style fo play. And Kierra Collier was not available for this game (not sure if she was injured?), which only exacerbated their depth issues.

But this game was also flukish in many ways. DePaul led the country in scoring but only put up 57 against Dayton, their lowest total of the season. Only UConn (60), Villanova (64), Creighton (68) and Arizona (68) had held them below 70 all season long. Dayton's defense is good but I don't think it's that good.

And Dayton, a team that averaged less than 6 made 3's per game, hit something like 10 of 12 threes in the first half alone, and at one point made 8 in a row. Some of these shots were from well beyond the arc. That's just flukish stuff, kinda like Villanova shooting over 70% in the NCAA final against Georgetown back in the 80s. Sometimes one team is hot and the other team is cold. That can happen in a "one and done" format.
Except for the fact that Marquette scored 105 against them in a 20 point loss which was not even that close. DePaul peaked early in the year, and came down to earth at the end.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also, DePaul has been for quite awhile a run and gun team. (without a lot of defense). But when your best player (AA) is not really a run and gun player, but rather a get the ball in the post player, just doesn't seem to work too well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Absolutely should be on the short list (I see what you're doing here, DBB!;))

Shauna Green, based in Ohio, could also look at Illinois, if she wanted to stay in the Midwest……

I'm sure this rout has caught the attention of another midwestern RC-affiliated school that has to play an Atlantic 10 team: ND vs UMass up on Saturday evening. On your toes, Irish!
No, no, no! Virginia, UVA, Wahoos! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, while it is true she’s been in Dayton, Ohio Since 2012, HC since 2016, I would caution against Illinois simply because they do not know how to support a top WCBB program. Sometimes there are the very subtle skills that schools have to enable teams to succeed and in my view Virginia with an AD that played there and strong women’s sports program across numerous sports would allow a coach to better succeed. Just my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
At least in this game, it felt like Depaul just missed focusing on good shots. That includes Morrow too because I think there were times that she forced it. Although Held didn't hit many, it didn't look like she was forcing all that much. Morris and Church took several bad shots. It's obvious that Depaul needs to find some semblance of defense. I just wonder how they don't focus more on that? How much time can you spend in practice on offense when it's mostly just people jacking shots up.

Reaction Score
DePaul did not play well down the stretch. Their last 10 games were not good and it just continued. Makes you wonder if something happened to the team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Dayton was hotter than a pistol, knocking down 3s at an unbelievable rate in
the first half. It was just one of those nights.

I expect Dayton to come back down to earth and lose to Georgia.

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative, but in 1st half Dayton was 11 for 13 from 3pt land...while DePaul couldn't hit the backboard on some of theirs...let alone put them in the hoop. But, I guess you could say DePaul upped their 3pt defense in 2nd half as Dayton only made 1 more 3.

Not a good shooting day for DePaul. They looked defeated from late in 2nd qtr.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom