DePaul and the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul and the Big East

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You guys do realize that when they say "cutting the cord" they are talking about getting rid of old school cable (Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T. etc.) but those people are just replacing that with streaming cable (YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubu, Sling, etc.)...

I think there has been a real misconception of what cutting the cord means. Networks that air sports we watch are still getting paid to have their programming carried. That's why even though cable subs are down nearly 40%, viewership of the money making sport (CFB) is UP 28% over the past 5 years.

I know exactly what cutting the cord means. I also know that about 70-80% are replacing it with youtube or Hulu, but many people are just going DTC. And the carriage fees on the aggregators are not close to what they were on cable.

This is why Iger at Disney is trying to dump ESPN. But if you know better, you should call him up and offer to buy ESPN. I am sure Iger would be very reasonable on the price. It may be hard to get financing though.

Reaction Score
Their last solid year was 2004 when they made the second round of the tourney and....got crushed by eventual champs UConn 72-55. Their last halfway decent year was 2007 losing in the quarters of the NIT.

Before 04, they had a close loss to Kansas in the first round of the tourney in 2000.

I like to call them Day Paul cause any day they'll maybe be half way decent again, any day DePaul, any day you want to be at least average...

Reaction Score
Imagine what other teams were saying about UConn in 1985.
UConn had a 18-16 Big East conference record the first 3 years in the Big East with two 20 win seasons and three NITs. Then, they let Perno stay for 4 losing seasons before they hired Calhoun in 1986, In college basketball, the head coach determines how good a program can be.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My bad. I thought this was a UConn board, not a Rutgers board.
This is your defense of a post that had 2 paragraphs: one about DePaul, followed by one about Rutgers?

You almost had me when I saw a post by you that started with, "My bad..."

Reaction Score
Look at Baylor before hiring Scott Drew. From 1951 until 2007, Baylor had been to 1 NCAA tournament and 3 NITs with no conference championships. And, they had a player murder scandal under Dave Bliss, the coach before they hired Drew. Some people would argue that Drew has done as good a job of program building at Baylor as Calhoun did at UConn.

Reaction Score
Another often overlooked factor is the athletic budget / facilities. What is depauls like compared to these other schools being mentioned?

A school to keep an eye on in realignment (though probs not for the big east) is James Madison. If I remember they have a huge athletic budget with top notch facilities comparatively to other mid majors. I was surprised the AAC passed on them, something to do with politics or something?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn had a 18-16 Big East conference record the first 3 years in the Big East with two 20 win seasons and three NITs. Then, they let Perno stay for 4 losing seasons before they hired Calhoun in 1986, In college basketball, the head coach determines how good a program can be.
In 1986, UConn was a team with no hope and no future. They had a coach that was putting out worse and worse teams every year. And an absentee athletic director that didn't seem to care. We were the team people were saying was content to just cash paychecks without trying to do better. As we know, one good hire can change everything.

Reaction Score
DePaul needs a smaller arena on the north side near the campus. Their version of Carnesecca Arena. A place they can fill up. That would add immediate excitement to their games and program and start to make them relevant again. Their downward trend began when they moved to the Rosemont Horizon Arena near O'Hare and has continued to Wintrust on the southside near McCormick Place. This building was a huge mistake and awful for the program.

Reaction Score
2 "getright" games a year within the conference to get guys in a groove, get their confidence up, and collect a win during a brutal conference season, they can be terrible forever for all I care. somebody has to suck, every team in the conference can't be good. hell, I think UConn playing them in the BET opener in 2011 got them back on track after they closed out the regular season with back to back Ls.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
old-rusty-turntable.gif
Good way of ruining your stylus

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Big East will not want to get out of the Chicago market.
DePaul has some talent - Etienne, Carter and Fischer to start so Stubblefield can get players. Stubblefield knows basketball but his teams dont have any structure - it's throw up the ball and lets see what will happen - very strange for a coach.
I don't want to see them out of the NBE because there will always be at least one team that is a level below the next inferior league team so if it's not DePaul it's someone else.

Reaction Score
that's what OOC cupcakes are for.
Eh. You're just concerned with NET ratings; a weak DePaul downgrades the overall quality of UCONN wins and theoretically tournament seeding.

I say who the heck cares. Beat the teams in front of you and stop trying to cherry pick.

Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to have a very close seat last night at the game. DePaul's assistant coach (just looked his name up: Tony Harvey) was constantly screaming out our plays and for his guys to jump our cuts, telling them who was going to get the ball etc and he was right every time yet almost every time his team just did not react on time...especially on our baseline out of bounds plays.

Reaction Score
How would you Yarders feel if DePaul hired away Kimani Young at the end of this season?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How would you Yarders feel if DePaul hired away Kimani Young at the end of this season?
The selfish me wants to keep this staff together for another couple decades. The pragmatic me (considerably larger portion) knows we cannot keep Kimani (and Luke) forever and would love to see a head coaching position open for each at some point. The only caveat is that I don't want a position where either is setup for failure (which may be a possibility in DePaul's case).

Reaction Score
The big east should allow the schools to keep the ncaa credits they earn instead of dividing them up among all the schools

Reaction Score
DePaul needs a smaller arena on the north side near the campus. Their version of Carnesecca Arena. A place they can fill up. That would add immediate excitement to their games and program and start to make them relevant again. Their downward trend began when they moved to the Rosemont Horizon Arena near O'Hare and has continued to Wintrust on the southside near McCormick Place. This building was a huge mistake and awful for the program.

The move to the Rosemont Horizon elevated the program, not diminished it. DePaul was coming off a Final Four in 1979 and was #1 in the AP poll in 1979-80, 1980-81, and was an AP top five program through 1987. Its old gym (Alumni Hall, 5,308) was the size of Carnesecca Arena and when the good times waned, tearing it down proved a bad move.

In 1991 and 1992 DePaul finished 24th in the poll, the last year it ended a season ranked. Its last ranking during a season was in late 2000, they've not been back since.

Reaction Score
DePaul isnt a hard job by our standards. Jim Calhoun or Rick Pitino would win big there. They’ve just never gotten the right guy. Kimani would probably bring them back, but I hope that never happens. .

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I know exactly what cutting the cord means. I also know that about 70-80% are replacing it with youtube or Hulu, but many people are just going DTC. And the carriage fees on the aggregators are not close to what they were on cable.

This is why Iger at Disney is trying to dump ESPN. But if you know better, you should call him up and offer to buy ESPN. I am sure Iger would be very reasonable on the price. It may be hard to get financing though.
ESPN is dying for a many reasons, none of them have to do with major college sports not being profitable (in fact, without college sports ESPN would probably already be dead).

Major college sports will continue to be a very profitable business because of the amount of eyeballs they draw. There is a reason why the B1G just signed a media deal that will pay their schools $100 million per year very soon.

Maybe it won’t be Disney / ESPN in a decade, but someone will continue to air major college sports and profit immensely. Unless there is a major culture shift away from wanting to watch (and bet on) college sports in the US, which is doubtful.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
DePaul is absolute garbage and they’re not even remotely on the path to getting their act together. No one in their right mind would take that job. You don’t hire Stubblefield or Leitao 2.0 because you want to, you do it because you have to. It’s an absolute graveyard going back 30 years.

The problem really is that they never moved forward from the 80s - you look how Marquette came out of the McGuire era and compare that to how DePaul came out of the Meyer era and you just see a school that has been in one place for 30-35 years….tough to gain any kind of traction in an area where kids are going to opt for the Big Ten or Marquette, Butler or somewhere in Ohio or anywhere else.

It’s a dumpster fire. What they really need is a Pitino-like situation where a very good coach who can’t get employed any a program with standards or pride and has to settle for DePaul. Maybe Bruce Pearl or someone gets caught running a brothel in the dorm or drilling an assistant coach’s wife and needs a paycheck.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You should never beat conference opponent by 30. They’re a quad4 game in the NET. In a sports obsessed city of 2.5 million they can’t draw anyone to their arena. An absolute laughingstock.

Should we kick them out? No

Reaction Score
DePaul is a sleeping giant, that won't wake up. The Chicago school is awaiting the perfect coach/players to wake them up.

I say wait on them, even if it means we die waiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perno was the coach when I was in college. For those four years the record was 21-8, Big East 20-9, 20-9 and 17-11. They were at least breakeven in the big east and were eight and six in the 80-81 season. Of course that was with Corny Thompson and Mike McKay. After they left, the losing seasons started.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom