Delaware to CUSA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Delaware to CUSA

Reaction Score
Not sure where you are going with this, or what it has to do with my post that you quoted.
Just curious the level of opposition to the move if any. Read an article from DelawareOnline awhile ago that UDs total Institutional support was only behind Air Force and UConn with the football team breaking even or making money which is quite a feat for FCS.

Reaction Score
Just curious the level of opposition to the move if any. Read an article from DelawareOnline awhile ago that UDs total Institutional support was only behind Air Force and UConn with the football team breaking even or making money which is quite a feat for FCS.
Villanova also claims to break even
on football and women’s sports .
It’s the miracle of Accounting creativity.
There‘s an old joke ;
A CEO asked his VP of Eng. how much is 2+2 , he answers 4 of course and the boss is pleased.
He asks his VP of Marketing the same question , he answers under normal conditions 4 but with the proper promotion 5 or even 6 . The bosses is very pleased
He then asked the same question of his CFO who answers , Its whatever you want it be sir .The boss is overjoyed .

Reaction Score
There‘s an old joke ;
A CEO asked his VP of Eng. how much is 2+2 , he answers 4 of course and the boss is pleased.
He asks his VP of Marketing the same question , he answers under normal conditions 4 but with the proper promotion 5 or even 6 . The bosses is very pleased
He then asked the same question of his CFO who answers , Its whatever you want it be sir .The boss is overjoyed .
Delaware is privately governed, state-assisted university, and so is exempt from state records laws, including most Freedom of Information Act requests. That means the university does not need to provide the public with details of its accounting. Anyway, became a fan back in the day when Coach Raymond was hitting his stride and considered going there as I had family in state with some living near the campus. Go to the URI game when they come up and UConn not home.. I wish them good luck.

Reaction Score
A very little known FBS history tidbit.

The CAA asked about moving from FCS to FBS en masse as a conference. The NCAA said no to the request and the CAA chairman did not push the issue. This was before Liberty demanded equity and moved up independently, setting a new precedent.

The members at the time were:
Delaware
UMass
JMU
Nova
Richmond
Bill and Mary
Towson
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhody

Once moved up, it was a potential landing spot for then Indy Army and Navy.

This was 2010, predating the Big East split.

Reaction Score
A very little known FBS history tidbit.

The CAA asked about moving from FCS to FBS en masse as a conference. The NCAA said no to the request and the CAA chairman did not push the issue. This was before Liberty demanded equity and moved up independently, setting a new precedent.

The members at the time were:
Delaware
UMass
JMU
Nova
Richmond
Bill and Mary
Towson
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhody

Once moved up, it was a potential landing spot for then Indy Army and Navy.

This was 2010, predating the Big East split.
Wait, so you'd move up with CAA but not the Big East?

Reaction Score
Wait, so you'd move up with CAA but not the Big East?
For Nova specifically the timing was similar.

The CAA move en masse was championed by the conference commish. He saw interest from members (UMass, JMU, and UD eventual moving up). The “rule” at the time was that a move up required an invite from an existing conference. He (Yeager) asked, NCAA said “no”, and he took “no” for the final answer.

Liberty was more forceful. They did not take “no” for the final answer. The broke the glass and moved up as an Indy.

Separately, the oBE needed Nova to shore up numbers and was invited up. Indecision and red tape led to a long internal process. Nova eventually said yes, but by the time Nova was ready the invite was stale. The Big East had already added other members, and later it would become known that Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU were conspiring against their Big East brothers. Pitt, Rutgers, and WVU objected to Nova joining at the same time they were planning their own exit (and rejecting the TV deal).

For Nova, neither of the CAA nor the Big East paths were driven by Nova. Nova was more of a meek bystander watching the possibilities in a changing landscape.

Reaction Score
When the Big 10 and SEC break off from the NCAA it's going to make all of this irrevelent. If Delaware actually pays the fee they should ask for a refund.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When the Big 10 and SEC break off from the NCAA it's going to make all of this irrevelent. If Delaware actually pays the fee they should ask for a refund.
Nobody is breaking off from the NCAA. The NCAA provides a liability shield of 1,100 schools. Also, these schools want to remain part of the NCAA tournament. They just want a higher percentage of the revenue.

Reaction Score
Nobody is breaking off from the NCAA. The NCAA provides a liability shield of 1,100 schools. Also, these schools want to remain part of the NCAA tournament. They just want a higher percentage of the revenue.
I'm sure they could break off and create a new organization which would provide the same liability protections. As for the NCAA tourney, I don't think they care anything at all about basketball at this point. Basketball means zip.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I'm sure they could break off and create a new organization which would provide the same liability protections. As for the NCAA tourney, I don't think they care anything at all about basketball at this point. Basketball means zip.
The liability protection is the 1,100 schools. If 40 schools break off, there are only 40 schools paying the lawsuits.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That's what insurance is for. And those 40 schools can afford it.
You can't insure something you are already getting sued for. That's like trying to purchase flood insurance after a hurricane knocks down your house.

Reaction Score
You can't insure something you are already getting sued for. That's like trying to purchase flood insurance after a hurricane knocks down your house.
This is all very convulated. Who'd getting sued? Explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old. And if all 1,100 are getting sued now for something they already did, wouldn't the 40 departing have a fresh start with a new org?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
This is all very convulated. Who'd getting sued? Explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old. And if all 1,100 are getting sued now for something they already did, wouldn't the 40 departing have a fresh start with a new org?
The NCAA is getting sued, and the P5 collectively are getting sued. You can't walk away from an organization to avoid a lawsuit when you are the reason for the lawsuit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Everything about college athletics is in a state of flux.

Reaction Score
Ok. I just looked at the Nova football boards. Not any football discussion. Very sparse. Take a gander.

Reaction Score
There‘s an old joke ;
Villanova football breaks even based on university subsidy. A total of 25,486 customers attended six Villanova home games (4,248 per game). That's not paying for a $7.6 million football budget.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Villanova football breaks even based on university subsidy. A total of 25,486 customers attended six Villanova home games (4,248 per game). That's not paying for a $7.6 million football budget.
Villanova has “football customers,” lol.

Reaction Score

No one knowledgeable claims Nova football breaks even. The costs are over inflated, but let’s go with $7.6M. The school pays the account, $7.6M and then the account nets zero. Real revenues from football do not cover costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom