OT: - deGROM | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: deGROM

Reaction Score
I forgot that you were a Mets fan. I guess we all have a funny way of showing it sometimes.

If you have followed any of the Mets threads on this board I think you'd find that I'm pretty far from a pollyanna about them--ever. And I'm not now.

I am just enjoying watching this guy because he is the anti-Matt Harvey and exactly the kind of player I want all of them to aspire to be. I've enjoyed rooting for him from day one and it is heartening to see him really settling in to his own greatness. As you know, we don't see that often in Queens. Our history seems to be littered with more what-ifs, past-primes and has-beens than real deals.

I think the thing I admire most about him is that he seems to be so at peace with controlling what he can control--and doing the absolute best at that--and letting go of what he can't control, like defensive lapses and lack of offense when he pitches. He's locked in like a machine right now.

I loved Nimmo's comments last night about how Jake single-handedly controlled that game from both sides of the plate like nothing he had ever witnessed; and I especially loved Mets' catcher James McCann's recent comment that deGrom doesn't just want to beat you, but he wants to take your heart and soul in the process. When they asked Jake about that last night his smile was priceless.

It's like he has the kind of joy in competitive excellence that makes me enjoy watching Paige Bueckers, even when I don't watch women's basketball otherwise. They seem like the greatest, nicest, coolest people, but they also want to absolutely destroy you. How can you not love that?
Jake seems like a genuinely good person. They had a meet and greet with the fans at Citi Field two years ago with the fans. Jake was talking to the kids and even shaking their hands.
I definitely agree with you that Jake seems at peace with whatever happens as long as it’s not his pitching that’s the problem. He never complains or even gets upset at his teammates. If Matt Harvey was still great and the Mets played lousy for him. I can only imagine how he would have acted.

Reaction Score
Even with DeGrom, will the Mets even make the playoffs?? They're the worst run scoring team in baseball.
Lindor got his money and is coasting at a .204 BA clip.

Reaction Score
Even with DeGrom, will the Mets even make the playoffs?? They're the worst run scoring team in baseball.
Yes they will, they're in 1st place and their playoff odds are at 87% despite the "slow" start. It's been funny seeing how quickly Mets fans turned on Lindor

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes they will, they're in 1st place and their playoff odds are at 87% despite the "slow" start. It's been funny seeing how quickly Mets fans turned on Lindor
I don't think it's that people have turned on the guy. He's not being booed or anything. I think people are just scarred from us having a long history of being snakebitten with big contracts and they are very prematurely worrying about it here. I like what I've been seeing from him attitude-wise. He already seems to be a leader who expects excellence.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that people have turned on the guy. He's not being booed or anything. I think people are just scarred from us having a long history of being snakebitten with big contracts and they are very prematurely worrying about it here. I like what I've been seeing from him attitude-wise. He already seems to be a leader who expects excellence.
The majority of fans probably fall into that group, but there's definitely a portion of the fanbase who turned on him already. Maybe they just also happen to the most vocal portion so it gets exaggerated

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

We were projected to have one of the best offenses in the NL. I would be really surprised if it turned out that we were just a bad offensive team. Lindor has done nothing so far, Conforto has done nothing so far, McNeil has done nothing so far. Dom Smith and Pete Alonso are hitting the ball hard but having some bad luck with those balls dropping in, Alonso leads the majors in average exit velocity. If all 5 of those guys struggle all year long then we're in trouble, but there's basically no chance of that happening. More likely is that at least 3 of them end up having very good years, and even if 2 of the 5 struggle all year we should at least have an average offense.

Reaction Score
It wasn't meant to be a cute post. The guy's win totals are sad for a guy who has been the best pitcher in baseball. Two Cy Young's and he hasn't really been a household name like the other star players.

The Yankees suck but they'll still have a better record than the Mets.
That is not accurate lol.

Reaction Score
The majority of fans probably fall into that group, but there's definitely a portion of the fanbase who turned on him already. Maybe they just also happen to the most vocal portion so it gets exaggerated
I never liked Lindor and I didn’t want Lindor on the Mets. I’m hoping for the best but I expected the worst. He’s not a superstar and they paid him like he is. His career high is 92 rbi. That’s not good. His career batting average is around .277. That’s not good. His defense hasn’t even been great so far. I’m not a fan of his. I hope I’m wrong and become a fan of his.

Reaction Score
I never liked Lindor and I didn’t want Lindor on the Mets. I’m hoping for the best but I expected the worst. He’s not a superstar and they paid him like he is. His career high is 92 rbi. That’s not good. His career batting average is around .277. That’s not good. His defense hasn’t even been great so far. I’m not a fan of his. I hope I’m wrong and become a fan of his.
There's so much wrong here that I don't even know where to start with addressing your points.

For one thing using RBIs to judge a hitter is like using wins for a pitcher, especially when that he spends the majority of the time in the 1 or 2 spot where runs are a better indicator and he was around 100 every year with a career high of 129

You are right about his defense this year, he's having his career worst year and is only ranked in the 97th percentile for SS's in OAA (Outs Above Average) as opposed to his usual 98th and 99th percentile finishes. Even just using the eye test it's been obvious how good he is defensively.

Also his career batting average is .284 which isn't the best measure anyway because his OBP is a career .346. The league average for both since he's been in the league is a .248 batting average and .320 OBP so he's well above average in both of those

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't we have a baseball board for this nonsense?

Reaction Score
There's so much wrong here that I don't even know where to start with addressing your points.

For one thing using RBIs to judge a hitter is like using wins for a pitcher, especially when that he spends the majority of the time in the 1 or 2 spot where runs are a better indicator and he was around 100 every year with a career high of 129

You are right about his defense this year, he's having his career worst year and is only ranked in the 97th percentile for SS's in OAA (Outs Above Average) as opposed to his usual 98th and 99th percentile finishes. Even just using the eye test it's been obvious how good he is defensively.

Also his career batting average is .284 which isn't the best measure anyway because his OBP is a career .346. The league average for both since he's been in the league is a .248 batting average and .320 OBP so he's well above average in both of those
I didn’t watch a lot of his games with the Indians. I did watch some of their playoff series last year and I was not impressed. A lot of guys can’t handle the pressure of playing in New York. Paying him 341 mil before you even see if he can play in the big Apple. Made zero sense to me. Especially because so many good players have failed here. Also Baerga and Alomar were middle infielders that came from Cleveland and failed miserably here.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He’s remarkably. Even in the ninth inning after throwing 100 pitches. He was still throwing 99 mph.
That speed and duration in a game is reminiscent of Nolan Ryan (The Express). He didn't develop the control until later in his career. There were games when he would strikeout like 15 and walk 12 and maybe win or lose 2-1. Phenomenal number of pitches.

Reaction Score
That speed and duration in a game is reminiscent of Nolan Ryan (The Express). He didn't develop the control until later in his career. There were games when he would strikeout like 15 and walk 12 and maybe win or lose 2-1. Phenomenal number of pitches.
I grew up watching Ryan when he was later in his career with the Rangers. Was always great watching his starts including that last no hitter he threw.

Reaction Score
Another fun fact about deGROM. He hit one home run in his entire collegiate career. He hit it off of Chris Sale who was almost untouchable in his college pitching career.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Don't we have a baseball board for this nonsense?
No, we don't. And besides, this is the BY where things can change on a dime; especially when it is the offseason.

Reaction Score
If I were the Sox, I'd be concerned about that.
Concerned? Not concerned! ?

Obviously he’s a great pitcher but it’s impossible to win when your offense can’t score at all. What is up with the Mets’ offense? They looked terrible the last 2 nights.

Reaction Score
Concerned? Not concerned! ?

Obviously he’s a great pitcher but it’s impossible to win when your offense can’t score at all. What is up with the Mets’ offense? They looked terrible the last 2 nights.
Combination of no chance to get in a rhythm and a terrible hitting coach who needs to be fired yesterday

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom