OT: - deGROM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: deGROM

Reaction Score
It wasn't meant to be a cute post. The guy's win totals are sad for a guy who has been the best pitcher in baseball. Two Cy Young's and he hasn't really been a household name like the other star players.

The Yankees suck but they'll still have a better record than the Mets.
Yeah. Wins are so 1965. Read an article or two.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Seeing guys like Verlander, Scherzer, and (local guy) Charlie Morton able to sustain their peaks into their mid-to-late thirties, I have no doubt DeGrom will as well. As other posters mentioned, he has fewer miles on his arm, and he's such a good athlete that his mechanical efficiency will also limit the stress on his arm and body. His arm action and mechanics are so low effort, it's insane how he generates so much force with such fluid body movements.
He’s remarkably. Even in the ninth inning after throwing 100 pitches. He was still throwing 99 mph.

Reaction Score
What?
Wins for a pitcher. RBI's for a hitter. They don't mean anything. They're dinosaurs.

If you're going to point to deGrom's wins as a measure of his performance over ANY other stat, you're a fool.

Reaction Score
Wins for a pitcher. RBI's for a hitter. They don't mean anything. They're dinosaurs.

If you're going to point to deGrom's wins as a measure of his performance over ANY other stat, you're a fool.
You're arguing with yourself, keep going...

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Is he really up on Wednesday? I will get my ass in for that if so.
Yes, Mets sent their 5th started down because of off days. deGROM will start Wednesday.

Reaction Score
It wasn't meant to be a cute post. The guy's win totals are sad for a guy who has been the best pitcher in baseball. Two Cy Young's and he hasn't really been a household name like the other star players.

The Yankees suck but they'll still have a better record than the Mets.
1) His win totals don't mean a thing.
2) Mike Trout is a statistical unicorn and doesn't have any endorsements. Most households couldn't pick him out of a lineup.
3) I don't agree the Yankees are positioned better or will outperform the Mets over the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
2) Mike Trout is a statistical unicorn and doesn't have any endorsements. Most households couldn't pick him out of a lineup.
3) I don't agree the Yankees are positioned better or will outperform the Mets over the next 5 years.
This is pretty simple, he's the best pitcher in baseball and doesn't get to win many games because his organization has failed him his whole career. I said nothing about win totals being a measure of Degrom's excellence or the excellence of any pitcher, any normal person could see I said the exact opposite.

Can't believe Navery gave your post a like, would expect better from him.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Mets bullpen and lack of hitting has screwed deGROM out of a lot of wins but the writers still gave him two well deserved Cy Young awards.

Reaction Score
This is pretty simple, he's the best pitcher in baseball and doesn't get to win many games because his organization has failed him his whole career. I said nothing about win totals being a measure of Degrom's excellence or the excellence of any pitcher, any normal person could see I said the exact opposite.

Can you elaborate on how the "organization has failed him his whole career" with examples?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, Mets sent their 5th started down because of off days. deGROM will start Wednesday.
Looks like you can only buy four-seat pods? Is it possible to attend a game solo right now? I’ll round up a pod if I have to, but I’d rather be free to head in solo.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Looks like you can only buy four-seat pods? Is it possible to attend a game solo right now? I’ll round up a pod if I have to, but I’d rather be free to head in solo.
I have no idea. I didn’t even look into tickets this year because of the limited 20% capacity. I may try to go later in the summer.

Reaction Score
Outside of Pedro over a 7 year span and Randy Johnson over his 4 straight Cy Young years ive never seen a pitcher look this unhittable. I think if he stays healthy he has at least 3 more years at this level and at least 5 on an ace level. The lack of innings on his arm and his effortless delivery will hopefully allow him to be an ace till hes 40.

Reaction Score

Now that you've clarified what you meant I see what you were going for. But I read your post the same exact way he did as trying to knock deGrom for not having enough wins which is a terrible stat to judge a pitcher's success

Reaction Score
The most amazing thing about DeGrom is he is doing this at 32. Seaver was no longer a hard thrower at 32 and Gooden was for the most part washed up at 26.

Question for anybody who currently coaches baseball, what are pitchers doing now that allows them to throw so hard? I'm assuming it's not PED's so what is it? It seems everyone is throwing 95+ and it has ruined the game. They seriously need to move the mound back a few inches. It will eventually happen and i'm not sure what they are waiting for. Foul balls and strikeout's make for boring baseball.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now that you've clarified what you meant I see what you were going for. But I read your post the same exact way he did as trying to knock deGrom for not having enough wins which is a terrible stat to judge a pitcher's success
As I have posted in our Mets thread, nothing makes me hate my own team more than his starts. They came through tonight though.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Tonight turned the corner. Mark my words.
Lindor needs to start earning his contract. He’s been awful so far. I wasn’t a fan of acquiring him or extending him. I hope Lindor proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
I actually got to see deGrom at Citi in 2019. Unfortunately he gave up 2 runs in the first inning and got no run support so he took the loss but it was pretty awesome watching him in person.

Reaction Score
That's because Deepster and you chose to read it that way, I said he's been the best pitcher in baseball and has 2 Cy Young's. And said imagine if he was on a good team.

It certainly isn't his fault his win totals are shabby for such an incredibly dominant pitcher.

Reaction Score
The most amazing thing about DeGrom is he is doing this at 32. Seaver was no longer a dominate pitcher at 32 and Gooden was for the most part washed up at 26.

Question for anybody who currently coaches baseball, what are pitchers doing now that allows them to throw so hard? I'm assuming it's not PED's so what is it? It seems everyone is throwing 95+ and it has ruined the game. They seriously need to move the mound back a few inches.
There's been a huge increase in the knowledge of mechanics of pitching and places like Driveline. So instead of viewing velocity as a fixed range, they're able to analyze every player individually and find all the areas for improved efficiency and how they can increase velocity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom