OT: - deGROM | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: deGROM

Reaction Score
Concerned? Not concerned! ?

Obviously he’s a great pitcher but it’s impossible to win when your offense can’t score at all. What is up with the Mets’ offense? They looked terrible the last 2 nights.
I mean the Sox won but it’s not like they torched deGrom. Very lucky and timely double by Vasquez. That’s it.

Reaction Score
I mean the Sox won but it’s not like they torched deGrom. Very lucky and timely double by Vasquez. That’s it.
That's the whole point deGrom has to be perfect the entire game to get a win, it totally sucks for him.

Reaction Score
A win is a win and a loss is a loss. You said the Red Sox should be concerned. I was just making fun of your boast.

What was so lucky about the double? It was hit hard. It's not like it was a bloop double just over the infield.

Reaction Score
A win is a win and a loss is a loss. You said the Red Sox should be concerned. I was just making fun of your boast.

What was so lucky about the double? It was hit hard. It's not like it was a bloop double just over the infield.
An 0-2 100 mph fastball out of the strike zone in an area of the zone he struggles with? He struck out the next two at bats? He got one good swing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It wasn’t lucky. The Sox came in with a plan and executed on it. They were patient at the plate and fouled off a lot of pitches. Getting deGrom off in six innings is a victory in and of itself

As usual the Mets had absolutely no plan except to hope for good luck. As the saying goes, hope is not a plan.

Mets have to be considered one of the most poorly-managed teams already. No spark. No pop. No life.

Reaction Score
The Sox put together a few hits in the 2nd. Got the one run, And because its the Mets, that was enough.
The Mets are just lucky they're in the NL East which gives them a chance to make the post season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Mets are just lucky they're in the NL East which gives them a chance to make the post season.
I consider that unlucky because it’s fool’s gold that masks our sheer ineptitude and helps prevent the types of changes that winning franchises make, like hiring a good management team for starters. We are totally aimless and drifting in a mediocre division, just hoping that we are the last turd flushed down the post-season toilet.

As the past two games have shown, we have no punch at all against better teams. And really no sign of spark.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This popped up yesterday. Oh what might have been.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here’s a query: when does it make sense to consider trading deGrom?

This is looking like another wasted Cy Young season with a flawed team behind him that obviously will not win a ring even if they manage to eek into the playoffs out of this crap division.

Do we think the Mets will be pennant or WS contenders in the next two seasons he is under contract?

If not, what star player would you consider trading him for?

Reaction Score

This is looking like another wasted Cy Young season with a flawed team behind him that obviously will not win a ring even if they manage to eek into the playoffs out of this crap division.

Do we think the Mets will be pennant or WS contenders in the next two seasons he is under contract?

Never, I think you're being a prisoner of the moment. The Mets are pennant and WS contenders right now, they have the 2nd highest WS odds on Fangraphs. They have some minor flaws and I don't think they'd beat the Dodgers, but freaking out like this 20 games into a 162 game season is bizarre

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I would say that @navery12 is right. If they were a small market team like Tampa or KC, then you trade him. Not for a star, for a massive haul of young players and prospects. Because that's the only way those teams can bring in talent. But the Mets have a shot. Many seasons we have seen the worst team that made the playoffs win a WS because they got hot at the right time and had an ace. I think the Cardinals alone have done that several times. It is way too soon to panic. They can upgrade the team this summer if needed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never, I think you're being a prisoner of the moment. The Mets are pennant and WS contenders right now, they have the 2nd highest WS odds on Fangraphs. They have some minor flaws and I don't think they'd beat the Dodgers, but freaking out like this 20 games into a 162 game season is bizarre
It’s not based on this season. It’s based on our historic failing of the best pitcher of his generation. For anyone other than Mets fans, it’s the only thing they know about the Mets. It is the only reason we are newsworthy. It is almost a statistical impossibility to do what we have done to him, and his prime is being wasted on a team with which he seems to be star-crossed.

We have one of the least experienced managers in the game and it is no secret that our front office is severely lacking from what it was supposed to be. It shows. The team seems lost and resigned that its fate is to continue failing Jake. It is the storyline of every start and has been for years now.

It seems like maybe having a generational talent like Jake on this team is like giving a Ferrari to my 15-year old daughter.

Reaction Score
It’s not based on this season. It’s based on our historic failing of the best pitcher of his generation. For anyone other than Mets fans, it’s the only thing they know about the Mets. It is the only reason we are newsworthy. It is almost a statistical impossibility to do what we have done to him, and his prime is being wasted on a team with which he seems to be star-crossed.

We have one of the least experienced managers in the game and it is no secret that our front office is severely lacking from what it was supposed to be. It shows. The team seems lost and resigned that its fate is to continue failing Jake. It is the storyline of every start and has been for years now.

It seems like maybe having a generational talent like Jake on this team is like giving a Ferrari to my 15-year old daughter.
You don't think having Jake allows you to get into a postseason where he has a 1988 Hershiser like run? I sure do.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You don't think having Jake allows you to get into a postseason where he has a 1988 Hershiser like run? I sure do.
We have the starting pitching and that’s a big head start, but we don’t have the defense or timely hitting needed win seven game series against good teams.

If you are going to spend you need to go all the way like the Dodgers did and make sure you have all the key ingredients covered.

Having one really great piece covered doesn’t win playoffs and championships if you fail miserably at defense and clutch offense. We are a one-legged stool right now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I hadn't thought of this but it's true. As a Red Sox fan, my knowledge of the Mets is basically (a) DeGrom (b) Citi field is new and much nicer than Shea. I suppose too that Syndergaard is also good. Hmmm...are they both Dutch?

I really don't know why the Mets position players aren't producing.

Reaction Score
That's what we call a .333 hitter.

He's a career .250 hitter. He got a good swing (again) on an 0-2 100 mph fastball out of the strike zone. Let's not make him the next coming of Tony Gwynn. I get it. It's me and you like to poke the bear with a stick....but you're also not making reasonable or valid points here.

Reaction Score
An 0-2 100 mph fastball out of the strike zone in an area of the zone he struggles with? He struck out the next two at bats? He got one good swing.
Lol. That's baseball. I wouldn't call that luck. There's a reason the batting average overall in MLB is .232 so far this season. FWIW the Red Sox lead MLB in batting average at .267 (2021 MLB Team Batting Stats | ESPN).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom