Defensive Coordinator | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm throwing this name out there... He's on the market (and was probably mentioned before)... He's a CT native in fact.... Sean Spencer (from Hartford, CT)... Was let go by Florida after this season ( was Co-DC there this past season )...

Would be a solid fit for us... The resume speaks for itself... Plus, would be nice to see him come back home and lift a helping hand to the program...
Awww man... too late... He's DL coach at Texas A&M now... (smh)

Reaction Score
I am tempted to post a poll regarding whether a DC hire will actually happen. But this thread is not mine. I will defer to UConnJim.

Reaction Score
Zach Arnett and DJ Durkin are both still available...but I've already said, don't be surprised if there is an internal promotion or change in title.

ESLNKY03

ESLNKY
Reaction Score
IMG_9218.jpeg

Reaction Score
Or it was never under consideration.
Unless Mora decides to go into the season without a third coordinator, someone is going to get the job. Because why would you hamstring yourself by not filling out your coaching staff with a third coordinator like every other team in college football? A coordinator got let go, a new one will be hired or promoted.

Reaction Score
Unless Mora decides to go into the season without a third coordinator, someone is going to get the job. Because why would you hamstring yourself by not filling out your coaching staff with a third coordinator like every other team in college football? A coordinator got let go, a new one will be hired or promoted.
He's only had two coordinators for the past two years. What makes you think there will be a change?

Reaction Score
Hope you are correct. I have a bad feeling about this. Mora is REALLY close to his staff. I can see him not wanting to bring in a DC that would fire them but he may also realize they are not ready to be promoted.

Reaction Score
He's only had two coordinators for the past two years. What makes you think there will be a change?
First Spanos held the title of DC regardless of how it was left. Then Marinelli was Pass game Coordinator... So please explain how there were only 2.

Reaction Score
First Spanos held the title of DC regardless of how it was left. Then Marinelli was Pass game Coordinator... So please explain how there were only 2.
Well, a Pass Game Coordinator who doesn't call plays and who reports to the OC/Associate Head Coach is really a coordinator in name only. Right? Like the recruiting coordinator?

What is a coordinator who doesn't call plays or coverages anyway?

And FYI, Marinelli was listed as Tight Ends Coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They announced they are hiring a DC. How much of the management Mora relinquishes? We’ll see. I personally don’t care as long as the team is successful.

Reaction Score
Well, a Pass Game Coordinator who doesn't call plays and who reports to the OC/Associate Head Coach is really a coordinator in name only. Right? Like the recruiting coordinator?

What is a coordinator who doesn't call plays or coverages anyway?

Last season Marinelli was PGC, Christian Pace was TE. Marinelli was TE coach 2 seasons ago. Unfortunately, who ever manages the webpages published two conflicting lists of coaches.

Reaction Score
Last season Marinelli was PGC, Christian Pace was TE. Marinelli was TE coach 2 seasons ago.
Broken out in here:

Reaction Score
Appreciate the clarification on coaching roles and responsibilities last season despite the misleading info on the official site. If I can be permitted some over-used jargon: at the end of the day, it is a distinction without a difference. The original point stands. There have been, during the last two seasons, only TWO real Coordinators in the truest sense of the term. Coaches who call plays, or coverages and rush packages. The OC and the STC. HCJM was the de facto DC.

Regarding Charlton, he has apparently got another year to right the offense. Whether HCJM likes him or whether the Associate HC title entitles him to that year. If the latter, I am guessing that the title and extra year were necessary to get him to Storrs. In any event, in view of the very open public criticism by HCJM at the end of the season, I suspect that this is his performance improvement year (using corporate speak) and he is on a very short leash. He might get some help with his job if things don't improve. And I am sure that the succession plan has been in place for some time.

Regarding the DC thing, if someone offered a Happening/NOT Happening bet, I would bet the NOT. But I am not a betting person.

Reaction Score
John Pagano stepup ???
My original thinking that the Pagano choice is/was a no brainer... HOWEVER, it's way too quiet.. IMO, that should've happened already, no? Gotta believe it's somebody else at this point....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom