Defensive Coordinator | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He didn’t have a defense problem because he was using Paul’s recruits.
And PP had RE recruits and JM had RE recruits. Doesn’t really matter as it is just an excuse. Likely if BD had stayed the D wouldn’t have been as bad but the offense would’ve much worse that season.

Reaction Score
It’s not an excuse when Bobby recruited tall, fat and slow D3 players.
It's what he promised at his press conference as he was bouncing off the podium and turning left and right like he's the point on a patrol all the while saying "we're going to compete for National Championships and we're going to get big guys". He just didn't mention fat and slow.......

Reaction Score
The level of program success directly followed level of and amount of football talent. The coaches used the best players who were from the previous regime until Edsall pretty much ended that in 2018 by utilizing all those freshmen and took a beating trying to develop the roster his old school way.

Reaction Score
The level of program success directly followed level of and amount of football talent. The coaches used the best players who were from the previous regime until Edsall pretty much ended that in 2018 by utilizing all those freshmen and took a beating trying to develop the roster his old school way.
I could only imagine what it would’ve looked like if edsall used the D3 players Diaco recruited.

Reaction Score
I could only imagine what it would’ve looked like if edsall used the D3 players Diaco recruited.
Exhibit A was Ryan Fines. Archetypal Disco recruit, but actually an HCRE2.0 recruit. I will always remember that 2018 Rhode Island game, 56-49. URI double teamed Travis Jones and left Fines unblocked. URI ran it up the middle all day long right past Fines. He was too slow to take a lateral step and get in the way.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
who was the quarterback who DIaco said was as good as any player at his position in the country….Donovan Williams? Good times.

Reaction Score
who was the quarterback who DIaco said was as good as any player at his position in the country….Donovan Williams? Good times.
Michael Beaudry immediately springs to mind, but Disco was long gone by then. I think Beaudry had the worst performance to hype ratio of all time though.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Michael Beaudry immediately springs to mind, but Disco was long gone by then. I think Beaudry had the worst performance to hype ratio of all time though.
it was Williams..

His upside, at the end, all things being equal, it will be as high as any player at his position in America. He's that talented. He's big, he's fast, he's smart, he's got an excellent arm, he's got a quick release, he's elusive in the pocket."

Reaction Score
download.jpg

Reaction Score
Unfortunately many of those he tried to develop by throwing to the fire didn’t last long at UConn.

Reaction Score
It’s late January so either we are pulling from an NFL team still in the playoffs or we missed the quality deli cuts and are looking at picking through scraps. My guess is no DC and more of the same.

Reaction Score
Hard to be successful if you are the youngest or one of the teams every year unless you recruit the top players.

Reaction Score
Exhibit A was Ryan Fines. Archetypal Disco recruit, but actually an HCRE2.0 recruit. I will always remember that 2018 Rhode Island game, 56-49. URI double teamed Travis Jones and left Fines unblocked. URI ran it up the middle all day long right past Fines. He was too slow to take a lateral step and get in the way.
Hey, we are no better now with our Genius OC trying to run a speed offense on the edge against faster Ds. These guys get fixated on trying to make players do what they want versus designing schemes that help players do what they do best.

Reaction Score
Hey, we are no better now with our Genius OC trying to run a speed offense on the edge against faster Ds. These guys get fixated on trying to make players do what they want versus designing schemes that help players do what they do best.
I agree. As much as people give the kids crap for developing brands with NIL, etc. The young coaches are doing the same. Grass, and money, is always greener on the other side...

Reaction Score
My guess is that we get someone who was somewhat relevant in the NFL a decade or so ago. Would be tough to hire a good college coach at this juncture, and Mora's somewhat outdated NFL connections lead me to believe that's the route we'll take.

Reaction Score
My guess is that we get someone who was somewhat relevant in the NFL a decade or so ago. Would be tough to hire a good college coach at this juncture, and Mora's somewhat outdated NFL connections lead me to believe that's the route we'll take.
Because we’ve hired exactly zero of those guys so far? Is that why you think that? I think more likely will be a younger position coach with potential or a DC or head coach from a good FCS program.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of good college coaches available. Think programs in which the head coach was fired and the DC was let go. Some are still out there and some took position coach jobs because getting a DC job is not easy. And, there are FCS coaches as well.

Reaction Score
I'm throwing this name out there... He's on the market (and was probably mentioned before)... He's a CT native in fact.... Sean Spencer (from Hartford, CT)... Was let go by Florida after this season ( was Co-DC there this past season )...

Would be a solid fit for us... The resume speaks for itself... Plus, would be nice to see him come back home and lift a helping hand to the program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom