Decommitments | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Decommitments

Reaction Score
Ok - I think it is time to get past 2 things right now:

1. Louisville basketball receiving the death penalty. This is NOT happening. And I am not saying this because I do not want it or think it should. In a world where ethics and morals come first, or even close to the top of the list where it belongs, Louisville would absolutely receive the death penalty for this... I mean, for God's sake, the unnamed assistant coach is caught on tape saying the "alleged" $100,000 payment has to be made on the down low because the school is already on probation. This is absolutely as rogue and as dirty as what SMU did. But their are 2 things that are significantly different today than 30 years ago. These 2 things make it almost impossible for the NCAA to invoke the death penalty.
a. Emmert, other NCAA office decision makers and University presidents believe the fall out for SMU from their death penalty was too harsh. Here is a good article which in the end, spells out why it would take more than what has happened at Louisville to invoke the death penalty:
30 years later: The legacy of SMU's death penalty and six teams nearly hit with one
- Baylor basketball did not receive the death penalty 12 years ago for its head coach covering up THE MURDER OF ONE OF ITS PLAYERS BY ANOTHER OF ITS PLAYERS!
- Penn State football did not receive the death penalty for its coaching staff and athletic department covering up for a serial pedophile - for decades! (Yes, I realize that it would have been very, very hard to turn this criminal case into the death penalty... and I also realize that the NCAA was forced to roll back some of the sanctions it imposed for over-reaching. But I also feel that if the NCAA had really wanted to, it could have made a better case against the entire football program AND the athletic department and it would have had a good chance of standing up in court).
- North Carolina has not and will not receive the death penalty for allowing hundreds of students, including dozens of prominent "student-athletes", over a period of a decade and a half, to take sham classes in a fraudulent major to be eligible and stay eligible in their sports.
b. A combination of: the NCAA does not have the power it did 30 years ago while the P5 schools wield a lot more power than they did back then - particularly over THE school that makes more money on its basketball program than any other in college currently, that being Louisville.

2. The ACC kicking out Louisville. This is NOT happening either. I really wish they would - but the conference and the powers that be (Swofford and the member University Presidents) have already made their bed on this one. Most of them are happy and satisfied with their original decision, and would not go back on it even at this point. It is all about the money, and Louisville has made them more money than we would have. Ethics be damned. It really is that simple, and as much as I detest what all this re-alignment has done to most of sports teams at our University, I also am honest enough to know that particularly to the big football-playing schools in the ACC at the time (Florida State, Clemson and Miami), they saw more dollars by bringing in Louisville than us. And by the way... on that level, they were right (at least for the initial 3 years since the decision). And they obviously did not care that they were selling their souls on an ethical level. The dollar signs trump everything else.

I hope I am wrong, particularly on #2. Unfortunately, I just do not see how the ACC will kick out Louisville and bring us in.

I dont expect #2 to happen, but the B1G not only discussed kicking out PSU, they voted on it, and a couple schools wanted to!!!

Reaction Score

1. Louisville basketball receiving the death penalty. This is NOT happening. And I am not saying this because I do not want it or think it should. In a world where ethics and morals come first, or even close to the top of the list where it belongs, Louisville would absolutely receive the death penalty for this... I mean, for God's sake, the unnamed assistant coach is caught on tape saying the "alleged" $100,000 payment has to be made on the down low because the school is already on probation. This is absolutely as rogue and as dirty as what SMU did.

I am not sure Louisville will get the death penalty. But anyone sure one way or another is a fool.

But their are 2 things that are significantly different today than 30 years ago. These 2 things make it almost impossible for the NCAA to invoke the death penalty.
a. Emmert, other NCAA office decision makers and University presidents believe the fall out for SMU from their death penalty was too harsh. Here is a good article which in the end, spells out why it would take more than what has happened at Louisville to invoke the death penalty:
30 years later: The legacy of SMU's death penalty and six teams nearly hit with one

Did you read your own link?

"One quoter said it wouldn't happen because: 'I guess you could come up with a scenario, but there’s not going to be another SMU case. People are more careful. They’re not as brazen anymore. They’re more aware of the consequences.'"

As you mentioned above, this case IS the SMU case, and assistant coaches were caught being even more brazen.

“'I don’t think the death penalty will happen again,' said Scott Tompsett, a veteran attorney with experience in several high-profile cases. “What kind of case would it have to be?"

The kind where FBI investigates a school already on major probation?

"'I think if [the NCAA] has a similar set of circumstances, I think they would do it again,' said Danny Robbins, the former Dallas Times Herald investigative reporter who wrote some of the most compelling stories on the case."

Yeah, in your own link.

- Baylor basketball did not receive the death penalty 12 years ago for its head coach covering up THE MURDER OF ONE OF ITS PLAYERS BY ANOTHER OF ITS PLAYERS!
- Penn State football did not receive the death penalty for its coaching staff and athletic department covering up for a serial pedophile - for decades! (Yes, I realize that it would have been very, very hard to turn this criminal case into the death penalty... and I also realize that the NCAA was forced to roll back some of the sanctions it imposed for over-reaching. But I also feel that if the NCAA had really wanted to, it could have made a better case against the entire football program AND the athletic department and it would have had a good chance of standing up in court).
- North Carolina has not and will not receive the death penalty for allowing hundreds of students, including dozens of prominent "student-athletes", over a period of a decade and a half, to take sham classes in a fraudulent major to be eligible and stay eligible in their sports.

Baylor was on probation for Men's Tennis, not the same sport then convicted of the same infraction. The act was worse, but the impact on the sport was not as harsh; it did not affect the competitive balance of the sport the NCAA was overseeing directly.

Penn State was not a repeater and the NCAA overstepped its bounds at it was.

We'll see, but yeah probably not on UNC.

b. A combination of: the NCAA does not have the power it did 30 years ago while the P5 schools wield a lot more power than they did back then - particularly over THE school that makes more money on its basketball program than any other in college currently, that being Louisville.

If this scandal spreads wide, I don't think the P5 will have much power to hamstring the NCAA in imposing penalties. They may even encourage it for PR reasons.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

1. Louisville basketball receiving the death penalty. This is NOT happening. And I am not saying this because I do not want it or think it should. In a world where ethics and morals come first, or even close to the top of the list where it belongs, Louisville would absolutely receive the death penalty for this... I mean, for God's sake, the unnamed assistant coach is caught on tape saying the "alleged" $100,000 payment has to be made on the down low because the school is already on probation. This is absolutely as rogue and as dirty as what SMU did. But their are 2 things that are significantly different today than 30 years ago. These 2 things make it almost impossible for the NCAA to invoke the death penalty.

2. The ACC kicking out Louisville. This is NOT happening either. I really wish they would - but the conference and the powers that be (Swofford and the member University Presidents) have already made their bed on this one. Most of them are happy and satisfied with their original decision, and would not go back on it even at this point. It is all about the money, and Louisville has made them more money than we would have. Ethics be damned. It really is that simple, and as much as I detest what all this re-alignment has done to most of sports teams at our University, I also am honest enough to know that particularly to the big football-playing schools in the ACC at the time (Florida State, Clemson and Miami), they saw more dollars by bringing in Louisville than us. And by the way... on that level, they were right (at least for the initial 3 years since the decision). And they obviously did not care that they were selling their souls on an ethical level. The dollar signs trump everything else.

I hope I am wrong, particularly on #2. Unfortunately, I just do not see how the ACC will kick out Louisville and bring us in.
What is this doing is this thread?

Reaction Score
Did I hear the Louisville chancellor or someone who read a statement speak of one of the players on the roster now who will be excused from the program due to potential implications? Heard a portion on the radio while trying to listen to a teleconference on mute.

Reaction Score
Did I hear the Louisville chancellor or someone who read a statement speak of one of the players on the roster now who will be excused from the program due to potential implications? Heard a portion on the radio while trying to listen to a teleconference on mute.

Bowen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville has made them more money than we would have.
Would you explain to me what you feel the numbers are that support that statement?

CL82

Reaction Score
I dont expect #2 to happen, but the B1G not only discussed kicking out PSU, they voted on it, and a couple schools wanted to!!!
I didn't know that. Any links?

Reaction Score
You forgot to add, "& destroy college basketball."
Ah yes. Stuff like this can go on forever without interference from the FBI and not ruin college basketball, but if they get sliver of the 20 billion dollar pie, well that will ruin college basketball forever.

Reaction Score
Would you explain to me what you feel the numbers are that support that statement?

Seriously? The fact you would even question this is laughable. Louisville just two Saturdays ago played on ABC's Primetime game of the week against Clemson. That one game makes millions of dollars for the network. They have appeared in a featured game on ABC in the last 3 years no less than 5 times. Sorry, but we would have been lucky to have been on that game once during Diaco's tenure.

Furthermore, their stadium has a capacity of 55,000 - and they sell out or come within a couple thousand seats of selling out for every game. The capacity for the Rent is just over 40K (40,642) and we have not had a sellout in years. Ok, maybe we would have sold out a few games here or there, but with the way Diaco teams were, and as boring as his offense was, the results would not have been that much different.

As for basketball, the Yum! Center has a capacity of 22,090, and Louisville sells it out for the majority of its games. 2016-2017 for example: they came in #3 in the country. 17 home games, with a total attendance of 354,390 and a per game home attendance of 20,846. We can not touch those numbers. That is a fact.

Here is a column from last year that tells you how the Tallahassee, Florida area feels about Louisville:

Clark: Louisville is exactly what the ACC needed

On the basketball side, Louisville has been the No. 1 most profitable program in the NCAA for 5 YEARS RUNNING...

College Basketball's Most Valuable Teams 2016: Louisville, Kansas, Kentucky On Top Again

So, in the two sports that make the most money for most universities and certainly for those in the P5, Louisville generates millions more dollars than we do.

I think you are a really good poster here CL82, but you are over your skis with wanting to even debate this fact. On other levels, like academic prestige, you absolute have an argument, and in fact I am standing right next to you. But on money that the two schools could generate for the ACC... the facts are what they are. Louisville beats us, and by a significant margin.

CL82

Reaction Score
Seriously? The fact you would even question this is laughable. Louisville just two Saturdays ago played on ABC's Primetime game of the week against Clemson. That one game makes millions of dollars for the network. They have appeared in a featured game on ABC in the last 3 years no less than 5 times. Sorry, but we would have been lucky to have been on that game once during Diaco's tenure.

Furthermore, their stadium has a capacity of 55,000 - and they sell out or come within a couple thousand seats of selling out for every game. The capacity for the Rent is just over 40K (40,642) and we have not had a sellout in years. Ok, maybe we would have sold out a few games here or there, but with the way Diaco teams were, and as boring as his offense was, the results would not have been that much different.

As for basketball, the Yum! Center has a capacity of 22,090, and Louisville sells it out for the majority of its games. 2016-2017 for example: they came in #3 in the country. 17 home games, with a total attendance of 354,390 and a per game home attendance of 20,846. We can not touch those numbers. That is a fact.

Here is a column from last year that tells you how the Tallahassee, Florida area feels about Louisville:

On the basketball side, Louisville has been the No. 1 most profitable program in the NCAA for 5 YEARS RUNNING...

College Basketball's Most Valuable Teams 2016: Louisville, Kansas, Kentucky On Top Again

So, in the two sports that make the most money for most universities and certainly for those in the P5, Louisville generates millions more dollars than we do.

I think you are a really good poster here CL82, but you are over your skis with wanting to even debate this fact. On other levels, like academic prestige, you absolute have an argument, and in fact I am standing right next to you. But on money that the two schools could generate for the ACC... the facts are what they are. Louisville beats us, and by a significant margin.
Well thanks for walking me through it, I appreciate it. A couple of questions, if you don't doing a little remedial work with me:

Louisville just two Saturdays ago played on ABC's Primetime game of the week against Clemson. That one game makes millions of dollars for the network.

I see. How much did that game make for the ACC, exactly? Isn't already covered in the TV contract?

Furthermore, their stadium has a capacity of 55,000

How much of their gate revenue goes to the ACC?

As for basketball, the Yum! Center has a capacity of 22,090, and Louisville sells it out for the majority of its games.

How much of this revenue goes to the ACC?

I appreciate the kind words about me as a poster and your advice.

Reaction Score
What is this doing is this thread?

It is a direct response to the person who wrote about Louisville receiving the death penalty in a previous post ON THIS THREAD... that I quoted to start my post.

That is what we do on this forum... if we are responding directly to a previous post in the same thread, we quote it, and then respond. Seems self-explanatory to me.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Well thanks for walking me through it, I appreciate it. A couple of questions, if you don't doing a little remedial work with me:

Louisville just two Saturdays ago played on ABC's Primetime game of the week against Clemson. That one game makes millions of dollars for the network.

I see. How much did that game make for the ACC, exactly? Isn't already covered in the TV contract?

As for basketball, the Yum! Center has a capacity of 22,090, and Louisville sells it out for the majority of its games.

Ok, argue this point...

With UofL out of the ACC and their program destroyed, doesn't that just free up more Adidas money for ACC schools like NC State.

Reaction Score

Since my point has already been proven, I have no desire to expend the time or energy to dig up the minutiae of each number. Feel free to do it on your own if it means that much to you (which I am pretty sure it doesn't). Like I said... on most every other point, and particularly the point of ethics, you would have to say that we beat Louisville by any objective measure quite handily. Ahhhh, if that were only the most important point though.

And to get this back inline with the original point of this thread...

Here is to hoping that V.J. King decides to de-commit from that scummy program and become a Husky for a year... or two (like he should have done before $$$ came his way)!

Reaction Score

Agree with this. But they are on top because they cheat. No?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
With bowen out. Two gone for next year already. I'm hoping a couple more current players transfer out.

Reaction Score
Here is to hoping that V.J. King decides to de-commit from that scummy program and become a Husky for a year... or two (like he should have done before $$$ came his way)!

If he received money from Louisville he would be ineligible as he is no longer an amateur.

Reaction Score
Kids involved will have to be ineligible. Going forward, This has to be the final nail in the NCAA refusal to let kids earn some coin. There is so much money involved some if it gets passed under the table in suit cases. End the charade, pay the kids.
How about just end the charade and not pay the kids? Just give them an honest free education at a major University? I personally would not want to watch games under the auspices of an NBA and NCAA farm system. I want to watch real amateur athletics. Unless it becomes that I probably would not watch college sports anymore. The recruiting process needs to be heavily monitored and policed, both on the recruit and his-her family and on the schools involved for a particular kid.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If he received money from Louisville he would be ineligible as he is no longer an amateur.
But he has $100k that they can't make him return, he sits this year or goes overseas for a year and then enters the NBA Draft where he'll be a sure first rounder. I think I could handle no longer being an amateur. He actually makes out better than if he actually went to college.

Reaction Score

The ACC would also have to kick out UNC and that ain't happening.

Reaction Score
UL didn't make the ACC more money, however, they did help revive the credibility of the league by adding another strong football team. That combined with big improvements by FSU and Clemson on the field solved the week football perception issues the conference was facing.

The issue now is that UL is likely to have serious issues going forward both competing and in ever being taken seriously as a university. UL is a renegade school with renegade programs and lousy academics. This reinforces that thinking. A UL that isn't cheating, is a worthless member of the ACC. UConn offers more in terms of market and academic reputation. With P5 money and a great AD in place, UConn would be a far better member.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not sure Louisville will get the death penalty. But anyone sure one way or another is a fool.

Did you read your own link?

"One quoter said it wouldn't happen because: 'I guess you could come up with a scenario, but there’s not going to be another SMU case. People are more careful. They’re not as brazen anymore. They’re more aware of the consequences.'"

As you mentioned above, this case IS the SMU case, and assistant coaches were caught being even more brazen.

“'I don’t think the death penalty will happen again,' said Scott Tompsett, a veteran attorney with experience in several high-profile cases. “What kind of case would it have to be?"

The kind where FBI investigates a school already on major probation?

"'I think if [the NCAA] has a similar set of circumstances, I think they would do it again,' said Danny Robbins, the former Dallas Times Herald investigative reporter who wrote some of the most compelling stories on the case."

Yeah, in your own link.

Baylor was on probation for Men's Tennis, not the same sport then convicted of the same infraction. The act was worse, but the impact on the sport was not as harsh; it did not affect the competitive balance of the sport the NCAA was overseeing directly.

Penn State was not a repeater and the NCAA overstepped its bounds at it was.

We'll see, but yeah probably not on UNC.

If this scandal spreads wide, I don't think the P5 will have much power to hamstring the NCAA in imposing penalties. They may even encourage it for PR reasons.
Actually if the public outrage continues and even intensifies the great NCAA may not have much choice to apply the death sentence if it wants to save itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom