Decommitments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Decommitments

Reaction Score
Brutal. If this was UConn I'd be tying the noose, or finding the closest bridge.

Louisville fans
e8a.jpg

Reaction Score
Yup per Borzello: Courtney Ramsey, a top 50 player, and Anfernee Simmons, the number 12 recruit in the country, have de-committed from Louisville

Reaction Score
I'm going on record that Enoch ends up at Indiana.
I wonder if the NCAA would make Enoch sit out another year (so 2 total) if he decided to transfer. Seeing as he did nothing wrong (assuming he didn't take any money!) I would think the NCAA would allow him to play in 2018-2019.

Reaction Score

Simmons was arguably the best player in the Adidas circuit. Killings watched him last October, but we never offered. He’s going to be an insanely good pickup for any team, I hope he’s annoyed with Adidas and we throw our hat in the ring (if the kid is clean).

I would find it hard to believe that any high level Louisville recruits did not receive cash.

Reaction Score
It's why they are two of my five favorite Huskies ever.

That whole 2013/14 team was heroic, but those guys are legends forever.
Me too. We owe them so much!!! I think I appreciate Boat more now that he's gone than I did back then. HEART OF A LION. I wish I had that picture someone created!!!! I would make a t-shirt or mug or something silly!

Reaction Score
Kids involved will have to be ineligible. Going forward, This has to be the final nail in the NCAA refusal to let kids earn some coin. There is so much money involved some if it gets passed under the table in suit cases. End the charade, pay the kids.
The recruits who come from a poor families (and there are many) are especially vulnerable. They can't really work to earn money and a chance to help themselves and their families is too much of an incentive to not take the cash. Pay the kids enough so that they can live like normal college students. It won't stop all the payoffs but it will go a long way.

Reaction Score
Every eligible player will be able to transfer freely when they get the death penalty. Or if they miss the tournament for all of their remaining eligibility.

Ok - I think it is time to get past 2 things right now:

1. Louisville basketball receiving the death penalty. This is NOT happening. And I am not saying this because I do not want it or think it should. In a world where ethics and morals come first, or even close to the top of the list where it belongs, Louisville would absolutely receive the death penalty for this... I mean, for God's sake, the unnamed assistant coach is caught on tape saying the "alleged" $100,000 payment has to be made on the down low because the school is already on probation. This is absolutely as rogue and as dirty as what SMU did. But their are 2 things that are significantly different today than 30 years ago. These 2 things make it almost impossible for the NCAA to invoke the death penalty.
a. Emmert, other NCAA office decision makers and University presidents believe the fall out for SMU from their death penalty was too harsh. Here is a good article which in the end, spells out why it would take more than what has happened at Louisville to invoke the death penalty:
30 years later: The legacy of SMU's death penalty and six teams nearly hit with one
- Baylor basketball did not receive the death penalty 12 years ago for its head coach covering up THE MURDER OF ONE OF ITS PLAYERS BY ANOTHER OF ITS PLAYERS!
- Penn State football did not receive the death penalty for its coaching staff and athletic department covering up for a serial pedophile - for decades! (Yes, I realize that it would have been very, very hard to turn this criminal case into the death penalty... and I also realize that the NCAA was forced to roll back some of the sanctions it imposed for over-reaching. But I also feel that if the NCAA had really wanted to, it could have made a better case against the entire football program AND the athletic department and it would have had a good chance of standing up in court).
- North Carolina has not and will not receive the death penalty for allowing hundreds of students, including dozens of prominent "student-athletes", over a period of a decade and a half, to take sham classes in a fraudulent major to be eligible and stay eligible in their sports.
b. A combination of: the NCAA does not have the power it did 30 years ago while the P5 schools wield a lot more power than they did back then - particularly over THE school that makes more money on its basketball program than any other in college currently, that being Louisville.

2. The ACC kicking out Louisville. This is NOT happening either. I really wish they would - but the conference and the powers that be (Swofford and the member University Presidents) have already made their bed on this one. Most of them are happy and satisfied with their original decision, and would not go back on it even at this point. It is all about the money, and Louisville has made them more money than we would have. Ethics be damned. It really is that simple, and as much as I detest what all this re-alignment has done to most of sports teams at our University, I also am honest enough to know that particularly to the big football-playing schools in the ACC at the time (Florida State, Clemson and Miami), they saw more dollars by bringing in Louisville than us. And by the way... on that level, they were right (at least for the initial 3 years since the decision). And they obviously did not care that they were selling their souls on an ethical level. The dollar signs trump everything else.

I hope I am wrong, particularly on #2. Unfortunately, I just do not see how the ACC will kick out Louisville and bring us in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1. Louisville basketball receiving the death penalty. This is NOT happening. And I am not saying this because I do not want it or think it should. In a world where ethics and morals come first, or even close to the top of the list where it belongs, Louisville would absolutely receive the death penalty for this... I mean, for God's sake, the unnamed assistant coach is caught on tape saying the "alleged" $100,000 payment has to be made on the down low because the school is already on probation. This is absolutely as rogue and as dirty as what SMU did. But their are 2 things that are significantly different today than 30 years ago. These 2 things make it almost impossible for the NCAA to invoke the death penalty.
a. Emmert, other NCAA office decision makers and University presidents believe the fall out for SMU from their death penalty was too harsh. Here is a good article which in the end, spells out why it would take more than what has happened at Louisville to invoke the death penalty:
30 years later: The legacy of SMU's death penalty and six teams nearly hit with one
- Baylor basketball did not receive the death penalty 12 years ago for its head coach covering up THE MURDER OF ONE OF ITS PLAYERS BY ANOTHER OF ITS PLAYERS!
- Penn State football did not receive the death penalty for its coaching staff and athletic department covering up for a serial pedophile - for decades! (Yes, I realize that it would have been very, very hard to turn this criminal case into the death penalty... and I also realize that the NCAA was forced to roll back some of the sanctions it imposed for over-reaching. But I also feel that if the NCAA had really wanted to, it could have made a better case against the entire football program AND the athletic department and it would have had a good chance of standing up in court).
- North Carolina has not and will not receive the death penalty for allowing hundreds of students, including dozens of prominent "student-athletes", over a period of a decade and a half, to take sham classes in a fraudulent major to be eligible and stay eligible in their sports.
b. A combination of: the NCAA does not have the power it did 30 years ago while the P5 schools wield a lot more power than they did back then - particularly over THE school that makes more money on its basketball program than any other in college currently, that being Louisville.

2. The ACC kicking out Louisville. This is NOT happening either. I really wish they would - but the conference and the powers that be (Swofford and the member University Presidents) have already made their bed on this one. Most of them are happy and satisfied with their original decision, and would not go back on it even at this point. It is all about the money, and Louisville has made them more money than we would have. Ethics be damned. It really is that simple, and as much as I detest what all this re-alignment has done to most of sports teams at our University, I also am honest enough to know that particularly to the big football-playing schools in the ACC at the time (Florida State, Clemson and Miami), they saw more dollars by bringing in Louisville than us. And by the way... on that level, they were right (at least for the initial 3 years since the decision). And they obviously did not care that they were selling their souls on an ethical level. The dollar signs trump everything else.

I hope I am wrong, particularly on #2. Unfortunately, I just do not see how the ACC will kick out Louisville and bring us in.

This is no time for logic my friend, the schadenfreude train has left the station.

Reaction Score

I hope I am wrong, particularly on #2. Unfortunately
, I just do not see how the ACC will kick out Louisville and bring us in.

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The recruits who come from a poor families (and there are many) are especially vulnerable. They can't really work to earn money and a chance to help themselves and their families is too much of an incentive to not take the cash. Pay the kids enough so that they can live like an college students. It won't stop all the payoffs but it will go a long way.
I would love to see some creative idea which would significantly impact the sleaze. Can you imagine what would happen if someone or some group offers to put any player into a lottery if they provide information that leads to a conviction of a rogue program. What amount of money would be enough of an incentive to get players to come forward? Would this cause the sleaze to think twice?

Maybe we could start a Go Fund solicitation and offer 1 million dollars for any information that leads to proof that Kentucky is a dirty program. How fast do you think we could raise money for that?

Reaction Score
Sometimes it seems Boat gets a bit lost in the shuffle, he is a Uconn all-time great IMO.

same with AJP. never won it all, but was the unquestioned leader of one our best teams ever. He's one of my favorite huskies of all-tiime.

Reaction Score
Kids involved will have to be ineligible. Going forward, This has to be the final nail in the NCAA refusal to let kids earn some coin. There is so much money involved some if it gets passed under the table in suit cases. End the charade, pay the kids.

You forgot to add, "& destroy college basketball."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom