DeBerry Commited to Uconn!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

DeBerry Commited to Uconn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didja see what happened in the 2nd half vs. Trebeca when Crystal sat on the bench and we tried to run the half court? We were literally played even by a division 2 team for an entire half. We got the lead up close to 20 and then Cal quickly cut it back to 10. Take out Crystal and we very well could have given up the lead and lost the game before you could barely blink.

I don't disagree Crystal needs a break, but we basically played 4 on 5 and squeaked out a 10 point win (neither Anna nor Aubrey contributed much when they were in). Play 3 on 5 and we likely lose...

Anyway sorry to get off track. Again, welcome to UCONN Amari! As you can see, we are in desperate need of depth! thank you for verbaling!!

I understand your position but I mean are you saying that Crystal has to play every minute of every game where the opponent is within 15 points? There's simply no way to improve the situation if you don't get other players into the flow of the game on occasion.................if she can't sit for two minutes in a competitive game then there's a serious problem

Reaction Score
Part of the problem this year is that the team didn't spend the summer building chemistry. Dangerfield had surgery while Williams and ONO were with USA basketball. Dangerfield only started practicing fully a month or so ago.
I'm used to seeing a "ready for prime time" team right from the opening gun and instead I see what most other teams's fans do early, disjointed play and mediocre shooting. UConn missed 12 of 23 layup attempts. They shot about 60% from the line. They had about as many to's as assists.
That should put to rest the perception that UConn wins because of talent alone.
Geno likes the team. He enjoys coaching them. I guess that means they work really really hard and at some point they will gel.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Stewie around during Amari’s recent unofficial to UConn? Stewie has always been the closer when it comes to recruits committing to the Huskies.

That is completely untrue and certainly shouldn't be posted. It would be a major recruiting violation and I am told by a number of people who know that your statement is not true.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Stewie around during Amari’s recent unofficial to UConn? Stewie has always been the closer when it comes to recruits committing to the Huskies.

Yes she was around this time, but there have been reports that she was planning trips to Storrs this fall to rehab and workout with Geno and the team.

If coaches thought that UConn was using “closers,” Muffet, Kim, Jeff, Dawn, Tara, Holly, etc., etc., would have make the stinkiest of stinks with the NCAA, who would be giddy to intervene.

Let’s just put that all away.

Reaction Score
Stewart and KML were at the Cal game and I didn't see any recruits. That kind of settles that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is completely untrue and certainly shouldn't be posted. It would be a major recruiting violation and I am told by a number of people who know that your statement is not true.
You were told incorrectly!
There is absolutely no recruiting violation for Stewie and KML to be on campus at the same time as Amari DeBerry who was on an unofficial visit.

1573527717756.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
College alums have been involved with recruiting for as long as recruiting has been around. Who better to advise a recruit on the benefits and challenges of a school than someone who’s been there and done that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with alums meeting with and talking to recruits, provided that alums adhere to all applicable NCAA regulations on recruiting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
College alums have been involved with recruiting for as long as recruiting has been around. Who better to advise a recruit on the benefits and challenges of a school than someone who’s been there and done that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with alums meeting with and talking to recruits, provided that alums adhere to all applicable NCAA regulations on recruiting.
Please be careful here so as not to continue the misinformation. Only the UCONN WBB staff can be "involved" in recruiting. Involved is defined as making contact with a prospect or their parents for the purpose of recruiting that prospect. Stewie and KML are not UCONN staff and are not involved in the recruitment of Amari DeBerry.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What if a prospect, on her own initiative, asks Stewie a question such as, "Tell me honestly -- what is Geno like as a coach? Will he yell at me all the time?" Does Stewie have to plead the Fifth, or can she answer that question?

I thought the rules were that the school can't ask former players to contact recruits with a sales pitch, and former players can't initiate contact on their own. However, I also thought that if the prospect says that she wants to talk to former players, or a specific former player, as part of making her decision, the school can provide contact information so that she can do that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1573572049241.png

Anyone else have this going off in the back of their heads while reading this thread?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What if a prospect, on her own initiative, asks Stewie a question such as, "Tell me honestly -- what is Geno like as a coach? Will he yell at me all the time?" Does Stewie have to plead the Fifth, or can she answer that question?

I thought the rules were that the school can't ask former players to contact recruits with a sales pitch, and former players can't initiate contact on their own. However, I also thought that if the prospect says that she wants to talk to former players, or a specific former player, as part of making her decision, the school can provide contact information so that she can do that.
No. UCONN could not provide Stewie's contact information to Amari even if Amari requested it.
Amari or her parents can contact Stewie and ask what ever questions they desire.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
No. UCONN could not provide Stewie's contact information to Amari even if Amari requested it.
Amari or her parents can contact Stewie and ask what ever questions they desire.
So (hypothetically), if Amari or her parents saw Stewie on campus during their visit, could they have walked up to her, introduced themselves, and asked questions about her UConn experience, and could Stewie answer those questions?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So (hypothetically), if Amari or her parents saw Stewie on campus during their visit, could they have walked up to her, introduced themselves, and asked questions about her UConn experience, and could Stewie answer those questions?
Yes & yes. BTW you or I could do the same thing and it doesn't have to be Stewie it could be any UCONN student. A'Ja Wilson's mom took it to the next level and actually wrote down the answer in a note book.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All former players are considered 'boosters' by the NCAA and they are not allowed to contact a recruit, period. A recruit has much more latitude and can walk up to a former player and ask her pretty much anything.

The school cannot send a former player to meet up with a recruit, nor can they arrange for a meeting with a former player, and any meeting that occurs on the school's property or at a school function off their property is subject to greater scrutiny.

NB - please read the 'Recruiting' thread - I have a longer post re recruiting violations. It is serious stuff and not something to speculate about or to imply there is any 'wink and a nod' kind of skirting of the rules.

Reaction Score
Is that De Berry next to Stewie in the picture? If so she doesn't look like she is 65 inches tall..Is she ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are many pieces of misinformation and probably a larger number of misconceptions regarding the NCAA rules and UCONN recruiting that are be created in this thread and others. @UcMiami has done a great job of summarizing the rules and I would encourage everyone to read his post.

@JoePgh & @oldude I’m not picking on your post just using it to highlight some of the misconceptions.

• UCONN Staff are experts and experienced with the NCAA recruiting regulations. There is nothing experimental, or hypothetically about the way this staff operates. They know the rules and they operate well within the rules. Where there is an occasional question (gray area) regarding the interpretation of the NCAA rules the staff has access to a compliance staff whose job is to turn gray into black and white.
  • There is no “sales” pitch to recruits for UCONN WBB. There is no pretending. What a recruit gets on a visit is a 48 hour unvarnished look inside the program. The staff insist on not changing the routine during recruiting visits, if that day calls for 6:00 AM weighting lifting sessions that is what happens. Practice starts at 3:00, all the players better be in the gym before the coaches. During practice if Geno is not unhappy about something several things that’s probably not Geno or your stuck in a time warp back to Stewie’s senior year where Geno knew they were going to stomp everyone. Only at a UCONN practice will you see HS AAs being told they are not working hard enough. The UCONN staff doesn’t pitch to recruits, it set their expectations as to what is required and how hard you will have to work to be a part of the program.
  • The concept of UCONN needing or using a “closer” is absurd because of the stature the program has attained. The idea that UCONN would use former players as “closer” is even more absurd. Besides being explicitly against the rules (see above), if a recruit truly needs a call from Stewie, Sue, DT or any other UCONN great to convince them UCONN is the right choice for them, UCONN definitely isn’t. Stewie, Sue, DT are all smart & loyal UCONN grads. They are smart enough to know that the right choice for them might not necessarily be the right for some kid- especially those kids asking “if” they should go to UCONN or some other place.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1573846752620.png

Amari DeBerry announced her commitment to UConn and became the latest member of our family.
Welcome to our family Amari. You will never know how happy and pleased we are to have you. You just gained millions of new fans. We can't wait to watch you grow and develop during your 4 years under Geno's guidance. As other post players that have come through this program before you, you will be transformed and ready to move on to the next level upon graduation. :)

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Strange - there must be a magician aboard the boneyard. All the posts concerning Geno's ability to recruit seemed to have disappeared.
Oh yeah, well Geno stinks. How come he couldn't convince the NCAA to give Stewie 4 more years? D#$m slacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom