Dave Benedict on future of XL Center | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict on future of XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Gampel is pretty outdated too...

No donor is going to donate to the XL Center - it’s so poorly run that’s like throwing money away. I freaking love the building and it’s history, but until Hartford has some sort of extreme gentrification the building shouldn’t be touched. There is zero money in downtown Hartford.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Uproot Gampel and plant it in Hartford. Problem solved. Everyone wins.
No, but maybe hiring someone to replicate Enzo Patoni's geodesic Gampel dome roof on the XL would do the trick!

IIRC there was word some years ago of a younger Patoni who had unearthed one of the original kilns Enzo used for the Gampel roof tiles, so perhaps they could commission it. Definitely worth checking out.

Reaction Score
I saw a few of UConn's games in Bridgeport. It's a worse basketball arena than Hartford and the atmosphere was far more sterile. It's enough that someone in Fairfield County can go to the Civic Center on the weekend in 50 to 70 minutes. You don't need to move games to Bridgeport. But moving all games to Storrs does cut off a portion of the fan base.
Almost a 2 hour drive from Greenwich to Hartford.

Reaction Score
The Whalers leaving Harford was the beginning of the end for the Civic Center/XL Center. It was a sad and short-sited decision by people that did not understand what professional Hockey does for a city.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People in the northeast don't like to drive, not just CT. People from KC never seemed to have any problem driving to Lawrence for KU games. Part of it is culture. If you're going to a game, you get to leave work at 3:00. End of story. No questions asked.
To be fair, driving the Northeast sucks. Particularly Connecticut.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To be fair, driving the Northeast sucks. Particularly Connecticut.

Add some tolls to generate revenue for highway infrastructure and problem solved.

Reaction Score
...and another discussion where FFC residents seem as though they'd complain if UConn played ball in Shelton.
Shelton would be awesome. Better bars than Hartford!

CL82

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sarcasm?

Kinda. Not really. Maybe.

Whether it's traffic or upgrading/replacing XL extra revenue has to be generated in the state.

CL82

Reaction Score
Kinda. Not really. Maybe.

Whether it's traffic or upgrading/replacing XL extra revenue has to be generated in the state.
I don't know that CT can find reviews to work its way out the death spiral it is in. Don't have problem with tolls so long as they do not slow traffic.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, but maybe hiring someone to replicate Enzo Patoni's geodesic Gampel dome roof on the XL would do the trick!

IIRC there was word some years ago of a younger Patoni who had unearthed one of the original kilns Enzo used for the Gampel roof tiles, so perhaps they could commission it. Definitely worth checking out.
I know a guy...

1606952933171.png

Reaction Score
It took the state about 5 years to address the peeling ceiling tiles that were an absolute embarrassment to all involved. Gampel needs to be renovated and could be done by.... getting a new naming partner.

XL is just way beyond its life but there is no way the state will fund, put up the bonds for funding, etc for a new Civic Center. For UConn, the key is a better deal with the CRDA, improvements to Gampel to help with revenue and hope the state continues it incremental improvements at the XL until it is just not viable anymore.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think Gampel is in that bad of shape all things considered being over 30 years old. They just renovated the ceiling tiles a few years back which was probably #1 on the to do list, and they also recently upgraded the lights, sound system, and video boards. Gampel has a timeless design, the open concourse was ahead of it's time when they built the place, and even the restroom's are spacious compared to the XL. The building never lost its charm. They can make significant changes for a relatively low cost. If they replace the bleachers with all chair backs, and maybe replace all the plastic chairs with the more cushion ones for comfort, that would go a long way. As far as concessions, they can also be improved at a low cost I would assume.

Reaction Score
It seems as if the State and CRDA are taking a band-aid approach to the necessary renovations. What’s stopping the CRDA from going out to bid for a P3 approach on a new arena? I know the state lacks a lot of resources but there has got to be some state owned land along with other infrastructure upgrades that they can fund that would entice a private entity to consider it. Is the market not there (UConn will never be there full time, competition from arenas at Mohegan, Bridgeport, etc.)

I know it’s easier said than done, but the state and the quasi public agencies need to get out of the arena business. Use the limited state resources to help develop land (demolition, remediation, etc), provide the right infrastructure upgrades and secure the right private sector partners to make a new stadium a reality. Let’s not continue to mismanage it.

Unless the state is ready to make all of the needed improvements why do we keep throwing money at it? Let’s either completely overhaul the current XL Center or cut our losses and move on.

Reaction Score
Just put a dome over Rentschler Field, throw down a basketball court, and get 30,000 fans to watch UConn play. Think about how much quicker they would recoup the investment with all those fans in attendance. Thank me later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gampel is pretty outdated too...

No donor is going to donate to the XL Center - it’s so poorly run that’s like throwing money away. I freaking love the building and it’s history, but until Hartford has some sort of extreme gentrification the building shouldn’t be touched. There is zero money in downtown Hartford.
On campus arenas are supposed to be outdated, it's a part of their charm.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love Gampel. I'll gladly drove the extra distance. That's a real college experience, not the blue hairs in the lower section sitting on their hands.
That's outdated crap. Do you go to games? The lower bowl at XL has been pretty good lately. Meanwhile at Gampel, the "blue hairs" in the lower section don't even show up. And the yellow jackets keep those seats unoccupied. Then again, neither do the students. Last game at Gampel I moved to the empty student section because it was more comfortable than the seats I bought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom