Dave Benedict on future of XL Center | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict on future of XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
God, this argument is so tiring.

@freescooter - on your "takes 90 mins from Fairfield to Storrs" nonsense - when would you leave Fairfield to make a 7PM game in Storrs on a weeknight (you know, when most games are played)? Answer honestly. I've lived in Fairfield, so i know the answer.

@Greedo - six Saturdays spread out over 4 months is very different then basketball. Apples and Oranges. PSU's average home attendance is smaller than Gampel capacity, despite a much larger student body / campus - think that's coincidence?

Good on AD Dave to at least poke the grifters. Getting shafted on rents from one state entity, while getting budget questions from another one, isn't a winning formula.

Reaction Score
On campus arenas aren't supposed to be comfortable, you want that go to NBA games. On campus arenas are supposed to be old/historic, cramped, and a huge homecourt advantage. People aren't going to Allen Fieldhouse and Cameron Indoor to be comfortable.
On Penn St - can't compare a football game and tailgate to a weeknight bball game, football is probably 6hrs of fun even on the low end. Those same people are not at PSt basketball games.

I went to Cameron last year and it is actually very comfortable, much to my chagrin. Though it does help to be in the south where you don't have to lug in a 30lb coat. They also had a game experience where you go to their alumni club (I was a guest) have a high end buffet dinner and drinks (aforementioned room for I'd say 300) and then get a shuttle to the game.
Best part of the game is when Krshghctlki yelled at the student section to shutup and walked up incensed to lecture them at halftime b/c he thought they were jeering the former Dookie Jeff Capel - Pitt coach. Then it turned out Coach K misunderstood & apologized after the game!
Highlight #2 was I got in trouble with an usher that let us into lower section for a picture, I made a face in said picture and gave thumbs down, yes I graduated college decades ago!

Reaction Score

@freescooter - on your "takes 90 mins from Fairfield to Storrs" nonsense - when would you leave Fairfield to make a 7PM game in Storrs on a weeknight (you know, when most games are played)? Answer honestly. I've lived in Fairfield, so i know the answer.

@Greedo - six Saturdays spread out over 4 months is very different then basketball. Apples and Oranges. PSU's average home attendance is smaller than Gampel capacity, despite a much larger student body / campus - think that's coincidence?

Good on AD Dave to at least poke the grifters. Getting shafted on rents from one state entity, while getting budget questions from another one, isn't a winning formula.

Also, regarding the Penn State comparison. PSU Football = Saturday afternoons/evenings. Whereas half the UConn basketball games are weeknights (workdays). More apples and oranges.

Reaction Score

No one cares about Penn State basketball, they suck. Comparing UConn and PSU attendance for basketball isn't comparable. The PSU football fanbase is rabid. Have them play a Big 10 game on a Wednesday night and the stadium will still be filled, it doesn't matter. People will rearrange their work schedules to make sure they can go.

Reaction Score
I am a big proponent of UConn in Hartford for games. That's the essence of what the Big East is -- city basketball. That was the theory. That college hoops can be a big city sport. That is different than what other conferences like the ACC do. They take place in college towns. This is why MSG is so awesome for the Big East tournament. Big CIty basketball.

I have been to 100s of games in my career. Gampel is insane when you want the college atmosphere and students. I love the XL sold out though. Rare atmosphere.

I think we are trying to be too like the ACC when we push gampel for everything. UConn isn't an ACC school and we should stop trying to be so focused on getting a Cameron Crazie atmosphere. UConn is more like Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville. Most of our fanbase didn't go to school there. There is a place for huge event-like games, and that is XL, IMHO. Kentucky plays off-campus. I know it is close, but Rupp Arena is an awesome venue downtown Lexington. Louisville isn't playing in Freedom Hall anymore. These aren't college arenas.

That said, need a new arena and we have to sell out. The XL is great when it is filled, but if we can't get 13000+ for a game there, then, go to Storrs. If the finances don't work, UConn can't be expected to pick up the tab.

XL and UConn basketball make the game and event something that doesn't happen at Gampel. They are both valuable experiences for the fans and players, and it would be a shame to get rid of one or the other.

My concern with Benedict is I don't think he has seen the XL sold out with a city atmosphere. He only sees currently an empty anchor on the finances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol @ the people arguing about Penn State football. Failing to see the forest for the trees

how about Indiana in Bloomington? UVA in Charolettesville? Kansas in Lawrence? UNC in Chapel Hill? The list goes on.

Essentially the argument boils down to admitting the UConn fanbase is lazier than those fanbases and I refuse to concede that

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s totally insane. The fact that so many in Connecticut think this is acceptable and normal in college sports is a prime example of mass-delusion.

AD Dave wasn’t born into this insanity, which is why he can see it for what it is (and why so many here can’t)

Who said this is "normal?" Why in the world would you "rebut" an argument that in a 6 page thread literally zero people made?

Acceptable -- yes, it is. Unless you actually believe that the incredible strides UConn has made as a UNIVERSITY over the past two generations isn't worth playing half the basketball games off campus. I guaranty you that most people think the strides that UConn has made are more than worth playing half of their home games half an hour away.

Reaction Score
I am a big proponent of UConn in Hartford for games. That's the essence of what the Big East is -- city basketball. That was the theory. That college hoops can be a big city sport. That is different than what other conferences like the ACC do. They take place in college towns. This is why MSG is so awesome for the Big East tournament. Big CIty basketball.

I have been to 100s of games in my career. Gampel is insane when you want the college atmosphere and students. I love the XL sold out though. Rare atmosphere.

I think we are trying to be too like the ACC when we push gampel for everything. UConn isn't an ACC school and we should stop trying to be so focused on getting a Cameron Crazie atmosphere. UConn is more like Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville. Most of our fanbase didn't go to school there. There is a place for huge event-like games, and that is XL, IMHO. Kentucky plays off-campus. I know it is close, but Rupp Arena is an awesome venue downtown Lexington. Louisville isn't playing in Freedom Hall anymore. These aren't college arenas.

That said, need a new arena and we have to sell out. The XL is great when it is filled, but if we can't get 13000+ for a game there, then, go to Storrs. If the finances don't work, UConn can't be expected to pick up the tab.

XL and UConn basketball make the game and event something that doesn't happen at Gampel. They are both valuable experiences for the fans and players, and it would be a shame to get rid of one or the other.

My concern with Benedict is I don't think he has seen the XL sold out with a city atmosphere. He only sees currently an empty anchor on the finances.

I'm figuring Benedict saw these XL games in the past 3 seasons:

Wichita State, 13.2K and 15.5K fans

Arizona, 14.6K

Cincy, 16.2K

Villanova 15.6K

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Mmm, I think you may be overthinking. The issue isn't "trying to be the ACC" the issue is that UConn subsidizes an aging and out of date arena that runs at a multimillion loss even with that subsidy. There isn't the money or the enthusiasm to renovate it (and frankly its footprint makes that very challenging) let alone build a new arena. At some point it is time to put the dog the sleep and all the great memories of when it was young really doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
AD Dave wasn’t born into this insanity, which is why he can see it for what it is (and why so many here can’t)
See it for what it is? LOL! What is it, Guapo? I see a formula that has led to 4 NC's and a Top 10 all-time program. What do you see?

Reaction Score
Who said this is "normal?" Why in the world would you "rebut" an argument that in a 6 page thread literally zero people made?

Acceptable -- yes, it is. Unless you actually believe that the incredible strides UConn has made as a UNIVERSITY over the past two generations isn't worth playing half the basketball games off campus. I guaranty you that most people think the strides that UConn has made are more than worth playing half of their home games half an hour away.

Playing the games during break in Hartford is totally fine. But the rest should be on campus. It’s the essence of college sports.

The Rent was a short sided disgrace, playing hockey in Hartford long term even more so.

UConn’s alumni relations are awful. This is borne out in its fundraising and endowment.

Let’s look at “days of giving”. UConn’s day of giving raised 400k. West Virginia raised 11 million dollars. Purdue raised 43.5 million dollars.

These things might not seem connected but they are. It’s another data point that the school, despite its investment in moving up the college rankings, still doesn’t know how to create a proper big time college environment.

Playing so many sports far off campus is simply another reflection of that.

Reaction Score

Arizona, 14.6K

Cincy, 16.2K

Villanova 15.6K
Maybe being wary, but fair point. 16.2 for cinch? That doesn’t seem right.

I just think part of UConn fabric is XL games.

Reaction Score
See it for what it is? LOL! What is it, Guapo? I see a formula that has led to 4 NC's and a Top 10 all-time program. What do you see?

@Waquoit just come to terms with the fact that you personally are a lazier college basketball fan than the standard Indiana or Kansas fan.

Make peace with it. Accept it.

Reaction Score

Arizona, 14.6K

Cincy, 16.2K

Villanova 15.6K
and those are the types of games that should be played at XL - 3 to 5 games per year, max.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Also, regarding the Penn State comparison. PSU Football = Saturday afternoons/evenings. Whereas half the UConn basketball games are weeknights (workdays). More apples and oranges.

Mostly yes. Not always. As we play weekend games, can we lose agree that those should be at Gampel? Except any during winter break of course.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? The economics of the world has changed. It has nothing to do with what the state did or did not do. Aetna was bought out by CVS When it’s management team was more interested in getting good lobster salad than running a company, P&W merged with Raytheon To compete in the world aerospace race and is now facing struggles because NOBODY is flying. General Electric essentially had failed leadership and is now jokingly referred to as Captain Electric. Not a single one of those decisions was the result of state action or inaction. In each case the companies moved headquarters to higher cost states. I briefly worked in Economic Development for a larger city. One of the hardest concepts to get across to people was that businesses make business decisions for business reasons, not political ones. We had a major employer who moved out of state, about 30 miles. The mayor was upset. The governor was upset. The company left an old facility with limited expansion potential and lacking the necessary structural conditions for some newer equipment they planned to invest in. Their new facility existed, met their current needs and short term grown needs plus had expansion. The previous tenant had lost a major contract and downsized. Our proposed tax incentives and other stuff was of no value up Against what they had. And from their perspective they were still in the same metro area and could And did keep the same employees, subcontractors and suppliers. Business decisions for business reasons...

I have to hand it to you. What corporate leadership would pass up the opportunity to move its headquarters to a garden spot like Woonsocket?:rolleyes:
You're right that some moves are inevitable but, when it's one major company after another and always out the door, there's more to it than the one example you cited.
If you're old enough to recall the term "Insurance City" then you have to ask yourself why so many companies whose presence lead to creation of that moniker left the state.

The opportunity was there but there was little, if any, long term thinking about growth and development. When the state sits back, assumes all will stay the same while raising taxes, increasing regulations and doing nothing to add value for the companies, they eventually leave.

The issues are short term thinking and failure to consider the big picture, such as:
-The coordination of resources controlled/supported/legislated by the State.
-Tax policies for companies and individuals.
-Land use planning and zoning that allows for creation of industrial or business parks like what NC did for the Research Triangle. Look at all the growth around DC due to the myriad office parks built along fabulous new interstate highways. The same could have been done with new roads around Hartford and along I-84 and 91.
-Creating/modernizing/expanding education offerings at the trade school and collegiate levels to meet the employment needs of the companies.
-Transportation. Picture a modernized Bradley Field along with highway improvements for logistics for the customers, employees, raw materials and products.
-State laws regarding employment.
-Welfare/sanctuary state mentality that seems to focus on giving people something to get by on rather than incentivizing personal growth and development.

The alarm bells should have been recognized when manufacturing started to leave the state (and the Northeast) in the 50's but our leaders chose to keep on keepin' on.

Reaction Score

play a big time OOC school, and a couple early Big East conferences games in Hartford while the students are still on Christmas break

Reaction Score
Lol @ the people arguing about Penn State football. Failing to see the forest for the trees

how about Indiana in Bloomington? UVA in Charolettesville? Kansas in Lawrence? UNC in Chapel Hill? The list goes on.

Essentially the argument boils down to admitting the UConn fanbase is lazier than those fanbases and I refuse to concede that, fully.

@Waquoit just come to terms with the fact that you personally are a lazier college basketball fan than the standard Indiana or Kansas fan.

Make peace with it. Accept it.
As the clear expert on college towns you appear to be, you probably know very well that Lawrence, Kansas has a population of 100,000, Bloomington is close to 100k and everywhere you listed has a local population base far greater than what's around Storrs/Mansfield -- as does every other major college basketball power. Just come to terms with the fact that you are a lazier college basketball fan than anyone willing to take two seconds on Google to make sure their absolutely incorrect assumptions don't make them look like a complete jackass.

Reaction Score
As the clear expert on college towns you appear to be, you probably know very well that Lawrence, Kansas has a population of 100,000, Bloomington is close to 100k and everywhere you listed has a local population base far greater than what's around Storrs/Mansfield -- as does every other major college basketball power. Just come to terms with the fact that you are a lazier college basketball fan than anyone willing to take two seconds on Google to make sure their absolutely incorrect assumptions don't make them look like a complete jackass.

Do you realize how many people live within easy driving distance of Gampel?

I’m not asking for these changes to be done overnight. It would obviously have to coincide with expansion of 195 and the other roads leading to Storrs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Playing the games during break in Hartford is totally fine. But the rest should be on campus. It’s the essence of college sports.

The Rent was a short sided disgrace, playing hockey in Hartford long term even more so.

UConn’s alumni relations are awful. This is borne out in its fundraising and endowment.

Let’s look at “days of giving”. UConn’s day of giving raised 400k. West Virginia raised 11 million dollars. Purdue raised 43.5 million dollars.

These things might not seem connected but they are. It’s another data point that the school, despite its investment in moving up the college rankings, still doesn’t know how to create a proper big time college environment.

Playing so many sports far off campus is simply another reflection of that.

It‘s New England. I don’t think any other local state school is having that kind of success raising money either. Nobody in eastern Massachusett, which is where the money is, cares about UMass. It starts at a young age. In the mid and South you are watching college sports from toddler on. It’s baked into your life. You’re in Georgia. now, you know this is true.

Growing up in Manchester people were astounded that I knew what teams were in the Big Ten, Big 8 and SWC. But my parents were from Kansas, so it was part of my life early on.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have to hand it to you. What corporate leadership would pass up the opportunity to move its headquarters to a garden spot like Woonsocket?:rolleyes:
You're right that some moves are inevitable but, when it's one major company after another and always out the door, there's more to it than the one example you cited.
If you're old enough to recall the term "Insurance City" then you have to ask yourself why so many companies whose presence lead to creation of that moniker left the state.

The opportunity was there but there was little, if any, long term thinking about growth and development. When the state sits back, assumes all will stay the same while raising taxes, increasing regulations and doing nothing to add value for the companies, they eventually leave.

The issues are short term thinking and failure to consider the big picture, such as:
-The coordination of resources controlled/supported/legislated by the State.
-Tax policies for companies and individuals.
-Land use planning and zoning that allows for creation of industrial or business parks like what NC did for the Research Triangle. Look at all the growth around DC due to the myriad office parks built along fabulous new interstate highways. The same could have been done with new roads around Hartford and along I-84 and 91.
-Creating/modernizing/expanding education offerings at the trade school and collegiate levels to meet the employment needs of the companies.
-Transportation. Picture a modernized Bradley Field along with highway improvements for logistics for the customers, employees, raw materials and products.
-State laws regarding employment.
-Welfare/sanctuary state mentality that seems to focus on giving people something to get by on rather than incentivizing personal growth and development.

The alarm bells should have been recognized when manufacturing started to leave the state (and the Northeast) in the 50's but our leaders chose to keep on keepin' on.

They didn’t move to Woonsocket. A company already in Woonsocket bought them. They have a nice campus, it’s about 10 minutes from my house. It’s on the Cumberland border and directly at the end of RT 99. Pretty accessible.

I agree CT has not done a great job, but that’s not an example of it.

Reaction Score
It‘s New England. I don’t think any other local state school is having that kind of success raising money either. Nobody in eastern Massachusett, which is where the money is, cares about UMass. It starts at a young age. In the mid and South you are watching college sports from toddler on. It’s baked into your life. You’re in Georgia. now, you know this is true.

Growing up in Manchester people were astounded that I knew what teams were in the Big Ten, Big 8 and SWC. But my parents were from Kansas, so it was part of my life early on.

I get that, but UConn needs to be better at alumni relations and career services. I lived in DC for sometime and it’s embarrassing compared to other schools

Reaction Score
we joke about

I get that, but UConn needs to be better at alumni relations and career services. I lived in DC for sometime and it’s embarrassing compared to other schools

Mrs Guapo went to UGA and they had a program director who’s job was to find her and other students who wanted to be in DC internships. Many other schools had similar programs.

UConn is very good at attracting students, but the other end (career services, alumni relations etc.) are severely lacking

Reaction Score
Do you realize how many people live within easy driving distance of Gampel?

I’m not asking for these changes to be done overnight. It would obviously have to coincide with expansion of 195 and the other roads leading to Storrs.
I am quite aware how many people live within easy driving distance of Gampel, which is why I made my previous statement. It's far less than any other major college basketball program, no matter how small Lawrence, Kansas is in your mind.

There are plenty of fans willing to make the 45-minute (plus, traffic, parking, weather delays) or whatever it is that you have decided is easy driving distance time from all over CT a few times a year, there are significantly less able to do it on weeknights twice as often as they do now, which is what UConn would need to have happen if all games were moved to campus. But sure, instead of renovating the downtown Hartford arena that currently allows many more fans easy access to the game, let's just revamp the state highway system to go directly to downtown Storrs to prove we ain't lazier than those Hoosiers and Jayhawks an additional 9 times a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22