Dave Benedict on future of XL Center | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict on future of XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AD made the obvious point that UConn's best interests may not be aligned with what is best for Hartford. I expect the Hartford politicians will be in an uproar by the morning.
I expect it to be entirely ignored, as it should be.

Good on AD Dave for introducing the notion that UConn should not be subsidizing the XL. If a deal can worked out that works for both parties, great. If not, well maybe Gampel is better investment since it needs less. There is a concept drawing in UConn master plan which shows a concourse being added to Gampel. That would allow for upgraded bathrooms and vendors.

1606921237395.png

(Note that the "Rec Center" is a wrap around the Field House. Obviously that's been changed. One of the things I find funny about "master plans" is that they are inevitably ignored when new buildings are added. Construction continues subject to whims of each project architect. Ten years later a new master plan is commissioned which talks about unifying the look of the campus and creating "a sense of place" and everyone raves about it... until the next project when it too will be ignored.

That said the athletic district project was done very nicely. Penn St. took the same approach and it is a smart and well though out part of campus. Without a football stadium ours will be a little more modest, but it is coming along pretty nice.)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The state has been incredibly generous to UConn for over 25 years. Yet it's never been enough. Go ahead, put all the games in Gampel out of spite. It would be a lose-lose.

Reaction Score
LOL. UConn's best interests include not ticking off the state legislature. That's why a material portion of games will continue to be played in Hartford so long as there is a viable place to play them. And while the Civic Center sucks as a venue at this point, it is still viable.

Reaction Score
Yeah that would suck if all the games were at gampel- Hartford so much easier to get to , less packed in, can pre /post game at bars and restaurants, your cell phone actually works, and u can drink at the games and parking /walk to arena much better.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised they don't play a few more games in Bridgeport. It's a really nice arena, close to the train and most importantly, close to Fairfield County donors/potential donors. If you want those Fairfield County and new influx of former NYC resident dollars, you need to pander to them once in a while.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised they don't play a few more games in Bridgeport. It's a really nice arena, close to the train and most importantly, close to Fairfield County donors/potential donors. If you want those Fairfield County and new influx of former NYC resident dollars, you need to pander to them once in a while.

I saw a few of UConn's games in Bridgeport. It's a worse basketball arena than Hartford and the atmosphere was far more sterile. It's enough that someone in Fairfield County can go to the Civic Center on the weekend in 50 to 70 minutes. You don't need to move games to Bridgeport. But moving all games to Storrs does cut off a portion of the fan base.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Gampel more than Hartford, but I do think it is a win-win having some games in Hartford, especially games during the week and the city's proximity to the largest population centers in Connecticut.

But to state the obvious, the arena needs significant upgrades.

I doubt UConn pulls the plug on Hartford anytime soon but makes a lot of sense to get those in Hartford to make the necessary investments to get the arena in a better state.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I like Gampel more than Hartford, but I do think it is a win-win having some games in Hartford, especially games during the week and the city's proximity to the largest population centers in Connecticut.

But to state the obvious, the arena needs significant upgrades.

I doubt UConn pulls the plug on Hartford anytime soon but makes a lot of sense to get those in Hartford to make the necessary investments to get the arena in a better state.
Going to be hard to get funding for that if UConn threatens to walk. I agree though - it needs to be a 21st century arena. It has potential.

Reaction Score
Going to be hard to get funding for that if UConn threatens to walk. I agree though - it needs to be a 21st century arena. It has potential.

I didn't hear his comments as a threat, more just stating plainly how poor the arena condition is at the moment, even touching on Gampel needing similar improvements. The problem as others have noted is that having a Mohegan / Foxwoods in the state that can get events to come and payout better because theyre looking to attract folks to gamble and looking more for the foot traffic hurt XL's ability to get non-UConn/Wolfpack events.

But, hopefully they can improve seating arrangements and expand concourses and modify concession locations/types to improve arena profitability.

The university is part of the state and is a partner with the government as reflected in who sits on the board and where a portion of university funding comes from so it's not as if one entity is going to do something without the full understanding and consent of the other.

Reaction Score

Wonder if both coaches are in ADDBs ear about how bad the XL center is. Article from a while ago but he still has that same opinion.

Reaction Score
I saw a few of UConn's games in Bridgeport. It's a worse basketball arena than Hartford and the atmosphere was far more sterile. It's enough that someone in Fairfield County can go to the Civic Center on the weekend in 50 to 70 minutes. You don't need to move games to Bridgeport. But moving all games to Storrs does cut off a portion of the fan base.

the benefit was that it was on the metro north line otherwise the traffic on 95 especially getting off that exit blows.

Reaction Score
It's time for Connecticut and Hartford to do something. Either do a nice renovation or just close it. The conditions get worse every year with the Civic Center and it's not fair for UConn.

Gampel also needs to be redone too. If they keep avoiding renovating Gampel it will be in the same spot as the Civic Center.

UConn should probably just build a new multi purpose arena for basketball and hockey.

Reaction Score
If games were all moved to Gampel not only would it not be ideal for the southwest part of the state but also the northwest part of the state. I am a season ticket holder but working and trying to make the 2 hour drive to Storrs is not easy , week ends are okay but week nights are tough I have actually missed the first half of some games because of traffic and if the weather is bad forget it!! I too think that Gampel is a great place to see a game but not an easy drive.

Reaction Score
I went to a mid-week event there. Took an hour to go from the exit to a parking space.
That is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned getting there at half time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL. UConn's best interests include not ticking off the state legislature. That's why a material portion of games will continue to be played in Hartford so long as there is a viable place to play them. And while the Civic Center sucks as a venue at this point, it is still viable.
I guess. Does that mean at any price though? I think that is the point that Benedict is making. UConn will play there but it has to have a viable economic reason to do so. That thought process is entirely reasonable and long overdue.

Reaction Score
I guess. Does that mean at any price though? I think that is the point that Benedict is making. UConn will play there but it has to have a viable economic reason to do so. That thought process is entirely reasonable and long overdue.

I'm not bothered by what Benedict said. He represents the state's flagship university, and not the state itself, and he's putting pressure on the state government to do something about the condition of the arena. That's all his job.

I'm just saying that as long as the Civic Center is comfortable enough that state legislators and their constituents would rather attend basketball games there than drive to UConn, they will continue to be played there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom