Dave Benedict on future of XL Center | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict on future of XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that’s not what’s being said here
The private schools are better than UConn. You kidding me? Any NESCAC school besides maybe Trinity is a superior. That's not a bad thing. That's a positive.

I'd easily rather have gone to a NESCAC or Ivy League school over UConn. Stupid basketball program and cost of school had me wearing blinders.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The private schools are better than UConn. You kidding me? Any NESCAC school besides maybe Trinity is a superior. That's not a bad thing. That's a positive.

I'd easily rather have gone to a NESCAC or Ivy League school over UConn. Stupid basketball program and cost of school had me wearing blinders.
I went to Trinity. Are you out of your mind with that suggestion? Any employer in CT/law school/masters program would jump to bring in a Trinity grad. The schools/academics/possibilities upon graduation aren't even comparable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

u r lawst

Reaction Score
I went to Trinity. Are you out of your mind with that suggestion? Any employer in CT would jump to hire a Trinity grad. The schools/academics/possibilities upon graduation aren't even comparable.
You proved my point, thank you. My mistake regarding Trinity.

Reaction Score
u r lawst
But but, UConn has such a pure amateur basketball program and is such a pure school where no wrong is done hindered by big bad older elite schools.

Reaction Score
I went to Trinity. Are you out of your mind with that suggestion? Any employer in CT/law school/masters program would jump to bring in a Trinity grad. The schools/academics/possibilities upon graduation aren't even comparable.

Lol Trinity is a better school, but let’s settle down a bit on the “aren’t even comparable” job opportunities train a bit..

Reaction Score
On campus arenas aren't supposed to be comfortable, you want that go to NBA games. On campus arenas are supposed to be old/historic, cramped, and a huge homecourt advantage. People aren't going to Allen Fieldhouse and Cameron Indoor to be comfortable.
Having played for Penn in the "Cathedral of Basketball" (aka The Palestra), albeit over 50 years ago, I wholeheartedly agree with your stance on Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse, etc.

And it is just as crucial to have collegiate hockey on campus. Build the rink! I've said it before, but it bears repeating. I am a long-time UConn hockey season ticketholder living west of the river (Farmington), age 72. I love my seats, and the short commute, to Hartford. But I'll also drive to Storrs in a heartbeat in the middle of winter to see several games played before hundreds (thousands?) of screaming students. That's college hockey at its best.

Reaction Score
All good dude. I'm a proud Bantam - I had to speak up. Also a rabid Huskies fan though!
Gotta love that small part of a bench grown into a tree at Trinity's football field.

I wasn't too sure where Trinity stood but I knew it wasn't bad and solid overseas. Some hockey player asked if Trinity's name would make it through in some stereotyped Asian countries, which I said of course it would.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
For those whose point is that Gampel doesn't have beer...that means you fix the problem and make it possible to sell beer there. The solution isn't playing games off campus!

Reaction Score
I can confirm that Allen Field House is primarily bleacher seats, with just about enough space for half of a human butt in 2020. It shakes quite a lot, and mostly, nobody in the upper half sits down during play. Result is that it's amazingly loud and a great place to see a game.

I walked around Michigan Stadium once on a business trip to Ann Arbor in the Spring and wondered how on earth they get 100K+ fans into that bowl. Then I got tickets to a game a few years later (v Purdue). Fought my way through traffic, parked on a golf course about 3 miles away and put back a few beers with a friend, and then stood armpit to armpit with fans to my left and right, my chin on the person's head in front of me and the chin of the guy behind me on my head, and had my answer. It was still fun.

Reaction Score
I am a big proponent of UConn in Hartford for games. That's the essence of what the Big East is -- city basketball. That was the theory. That college hoops can be a big city sport. That is different than what other conferences like the ACC do. They take place in college towns. This is why MSG is so awesome for the Big East tournament. Big CIty basketball.

I have been to 100s of games in my career. Gampel is insane when you want the college atmosphere and students. I love the XL sold out though. Rare atmosphere.

I think we are trying to be too like the ACC when we push gampel for everything. UConn isn't an ACC school and we should stop trying to be so focused on getting a Cameron Crazie atmosphere. UConn is more like Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville. Most of our fanbase didn't go to school there. There is a place for huge event-like games, and that is XL, IMHO. Kentucky plays off-campus. I know it is close, but Rupp Arena is an awesome venue downtown Lexington. Louisville isn't playing in Freedom Hall anymore. These aren't college arenas.

Just to clarify, first, UConn is not a small, urban catholic college like Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Xavier, etc. UConn is a State Flagship university and most of those peer schools are not in urban locations. Each has unique needs and that is why the 'old' Big East failed and likely why UConn is not the best fit for this 'new' Big East over the long-term, though it is a better short-term home than the American.

Second, yes, Kentucky and Louisville play at city-owned (though one can argue that each respective University owns its city, just look at the deal U Louisville created for itself with the Yum center the shaft that the city got in return) while Indiana has its own arena. But, its 27 miles from Babbridge Library to the XL Center while its 2.2 miles from the Young Library to Rupp Arena in Lexington (Kentucky) and 2.2 miles from Ekstrom Library to the Yum Center in Louisville. That's 'on-campus' for all intent.

As for the AD, I agree with him. There are folks in Hartford who believe one of UConn's key missiosn is to say Hartford, whether it be keeping the XL afloat or getting more folks on the street of downtown Hartford (UConn Hartford campus). That is not the University's mission and pulls focus and money away from what UConn should really be working on.

Reaction Score
I've heard it said people in the Northeast don't support their universities financially as much as other regions support theirs for a couple reasons:
-Pro sports in the region draw a lot of attention and money;
-Taxes are high and should take care of everything, so why donate to the university.

It would be interesting to see a chart of donation levels prior to Big East membership, and whether there were rises and falls in donations with the rise of the basketball and football teams, the move to the AAC and then the move back to the Big East.

And in most cases, private Universities like Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, Yale, etc. had a 100 or so year head-start on the public flagship universities in the Northeast, including about 50 years of football.

Reaction Score
What you are stating is a Connecticut/Northeast thing. It's what I have stated many times on here, CT. people are spoiled when it comes to driving. It's a product of being in the Northeast where everything is close by. In the Midwest and South driving a few hours is no big deal, in CT. some people make a half hour drive sound like a major inconvenience. People in CT. talk about Storrs being in the middle of nowhere, sure it's rural but there are levels to this. Much of the rest of the country would consider it crazy to say Storrs is in the middle of nowhere when it's surrounded by millions of people.

I agree on that point. I have family in Minneapolis who don't skip a beat when they decide to drive 6 1/2 hours to Chicago for a 3-day weekend, a friend from Detroit who drives 5 hours each way to Indianapolis in 24 hours for his daughter's swim meet, and friend who drives his family from Denver to Jackson Hole, an 8 hour drive, a few items each winter because its their favorite place to ski.

Reaction Score
Don't know. New pool in the rec center?

I post the graphic about once every six months, but if you read the master plan, that's where it originated.

I know. I don't believe the new Rec pool has a diving well nor spectator seating.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree on that point. I have family in Minneapolis who don't skip a beat when they decide to drive 6 1/2 hours to Chicago for a 3-day weekend, a friend from Detroit who drives 5 hours each way to Indianapolis in 24 hours for his daughter's swim meet, and friend who drives his family from Denver to Jackson Hole, an 8 hour drive, a few items each winter because its their favorite place to ski.
If you're staying at the destination for a few days or more, a six hour drive is worth it. When my wife's brother worked at the Pentagon, we thought nothing of the drive to D.C. for a 3 day weekend. and when they moved to Pittsburgh, we turn the 9 hour drive into an adventure for our kids over the Thanksgiving holiday (not this year, but still...).

The issue becomes being in the car for longer than the event they are attending. I can understand it up to a point. It's the wanting of cake and eating it too that creases me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
nope it’s not wrong. Storrs, despite its rural surroundings, is centrally located smack dab in the most densely populated part of the country. And if you’d bother to read my argument here, it’s based on the fact that I do not believe the fan base is lazier than those fan bases, just that one particular fan
You do not understand densely populated if you honestly think that. Turns out, 1, 5, 10, 20M population density super important for a given area, access to highways key as well.

What are income per capita, population density, or rents in Storrs vs say Boston or Manhattan which you seemingly include together in your densely populated area definition.

Reaction Score
And in most cases, private Universities like Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, Yale, etc. had a 100 or so year head-start on the public flagship universities in the Northeast, including about 50 years of football.

that’s a good point that I didn’t consider.

UConn was founded in 1881 and didnt become “UConn” till 1940ish

In comparison other big public schools like UGA, UNC and UVA were all founded in the 18th century

Reaction Score
that’s a good point that I didn’t consider.

UConn was founded in 1881 and didnt become “UConn” till 1940ish

In comparison other big public schools like UGA, UNC and UVA were all founded in the 18th century
Duh.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, first, UConn is not a small, urban catholic college like Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Xavier, etc. UConn is a State Flagship university and most of those peer schools are not in urban locations. Each has unique needs and that is why the 'old' Big East failed and likely why UConn is not the best fit for this 'new' Big East over the long-term, though it is a better short-term home than the American.

Second, yes, Kentucky and Louisville play at city-owned (though one can argue that each respective University owns its city, just look at the deal U Louisville created for itself with the Yum center the shaft that the city got in return) while Indiana has its own arena. But, its 27 miles from Babbridge Library to the XL Center while its 2.2 miles from the Young Library to Rupp Arena in Lexington (Kentucky) and 2.2 miles from Ekstrom Library to the Yum Center in Louisville. That's 'on-campus' for all intent.

As for the AD, I agree with him. There are folks in Hartford who believe one of UConn's key missiosn is to say Hartford, whether it be keeping the XL afloat or getting more folks on the street of downtown Hartford (UConn Hartford campus). That is not the University's mission and pulls focus and money away from what UConn should really be working on.

The downtown campus was an example of idiocy to save the city. Perhaps 18 and 19 year olds can eat out a little. Legally they can not take in the nightlife what was the purpose? When I walk I see a few kids at the campus. I guess the Starbucks in the bookstore is booming. At least get a McDonald’s with their dollar coffee at Front Street.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The AD made the obvious point that UConn's best interests may not be aligned with what is best for Hartford. I expect the Hartford politicians will be in an uproar by the morning.
Nah - they are looking for political crap to happen at the XL as a platform for the Hartford mayor to climb political steps

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nah - they are looking for political crap to happen at the XL as a platform for the Hartford mayor to climb political steps
Do you really believe what you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer