OT: - Daniel Jones | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Daniel Jones

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I blame the coaching staff for not helping Jenkins more with a safety as he was outmatched from the beginning

Jones looks very good just needs to get rid of the ball and not fumble, but otherwise played very good

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Gettleman stinks and Jones most likely would've been there but if you are 100% sold on having your franchise QB you take him. If Jones really is the guy Gettleman will be forgiven for all his other boneheadery.

They also could’ve traded up instead of trading up for a corner at the end of round 1

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Gettleman stinks and Jones most likely would've been there but if you are 100% sold on having your franchise QB you take him. If Jones really is the guy Gettleman will be forgiven for all his other boneheadery.

Not a Gettleman fan but no way Jones would have been there at 17. Denver wanted him along with two other teams.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The issue is that literally nobody else was that high on Jones. Gettleman could have drafted a stud DL with the #6 pick and still had Jones sitting there at 17.
Again, this is just speculation, as is Gettleman's claim that others who picked in between #7 and #16 were high on Jones. Everyone tries to mislead everyone else in the draft and there is no way to know if he would have been there at #17.

The bottom line is that if he is the right guy, taking him at #6 to make sure you get him is the right call imo.

Reaction Score
People talk about the fumbles. The kid was sacked 5 times and pressured 18 times. You don’t think Eli gets stripped in those situations? We’ve seen it.

Jones was under pressure 47% of his dropbacks (3rd highest of week 3), He completed 80% of pressured attempts for 233 yards, 2 TD's and a perfect 158.3 passer rating - per Pat Thorman

That's 4th most pressured passing yards by any QB in any regular season game (07-19). Over that span, there are 1,674 instances of a QB attempting at least 12 pressured passes in a game. Jones is the first to record a perfect passer rating. - per Scott Barrett

you love to see that

C

Chief00

Btw. If You are OBJ today, Let’s call a spade a spade. Baker Mayfield was awful last night. He has been awful this year. What does his numbers look like without that one touchdown to Odell?

I didn’t see a ton of baker last year. But have watched all three browns games. He looks awful, leaves the pocket, not patient, and just doesn’t go where he needs to with the ball. Is that something we can’t say?
Agree, Mayfield hasn’t looked good. Good QB makes a big difference in the NFL.

C

Chief00

Jones was under pressure 47% of his dropbacks (3rd highest of week 3), He completed 80% of pressured attempts for 233 yards, 2 TD's and a perfect 158.3 passer rating - per Pat Thorman

That's 4th most pressured passing yards by any QB in any regular season game (07-19). Over that span, there are 1,674 instances of a QB attempting at least 12 pressured passes in a game. Jones is the first to record a perfect passer rating. - per Scott Barrett

you love to see that
Except if one if the highest paid right tackles doesn’t start protecting better - concerned about QB injury.

Reaction Score
And if you're going to take that franchise QB at 6 - which is fine if you think you won't get him later - you cannot spend $23M on another QB, especially with the enormous deficiencies at other positions.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Jones being amazing would in no way disprove the fact that Dave Gettleman is spectacularly bad at his job.

Reaction Score

Good QB's make a big difference in the NFL - you don't say - that's front office insight right there.

Come on man do better than that.

Reaction Score
I just wonder where all the draft people are at. I remember when Giants took him Golic Jr. was on Espn running around like it was a joke. All these other people acted like he wasn’t worth a third round pick and they kept showing Haskins shaking his head.

Where are you? Dan orlovsky the only one I have seen to man up.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I just wonder where all the draft people are at. I remember when Giants took him Golic Jr. was on Espn running around like it was a joke. All these other people acted like he wasn’t worth a third round pick and they kept showing Haskins shaking his head.

Sr. made a comment this morning saying (for now) it’s pretty clear he and others were wrong - and they started to say that at the beginning of camp.

I don’t think anyone really liked that pick. Whether you thought it was too high or that he wasn’t a big name QB, there weren’t a whole lot of people out there praising the pick. Add in the fact that Gettleman has been questionable (at best) - there were a lot of reasons to dislike it.

But everything we’ve seen since camp started has pointed to him being a top notch NFL-caliber QB. The problem that will face the Giants now is if they can actually put a functioning team around him (most notably, on the offensive line).

Reaction Score
As for Daniel Jones, way too early. On the other hand, teams had all summer to study Baker Mayfield's games.

The NFL is a copycat league. Once a team finds a way to stifle Jones, they'll keep on doing it until he figures it out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jones being amazing would in no way disprove the fact that Dave Gettleman is spectacularly bad at his job.

So, while I do subscribe to the theory that a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut, if Jones actually does become a big time QB, you do have to give Gettleman his credit. The talking heads, media, and fans blasted the pick. If he's right here, he deserves his fair share of credit.

An upgrade from spectacularly bad, to just bad is fair and just :D

Reaction Score

Too early for that. The kid looked good but there have been many QBs who have looked good to start their careers and then dropped like a rock. More time is needed to assess him.

Reaction Score
We are under no illusions that the Giants are going to the playoffs or even be decent with Jones (no Barkley) but the kid checked some boxes. 1. Accuracy short and long. 2. Functioned well under pressure. 3. Mobile to escape sacks 4. Intelligence, knowing when to pull it down and run. No matter the result vs the Skins I’d much rather see him get the experience and the reps. Eli even if we give him #1 couldn’t do 2,3 and 4.

Reaction Score
Way too early to judge Gettleman or Jones. If Gettleman and the Giants front office truly believed Jones was their guys, then you absolutely take him at #6. So far, very early on, it looks like a good pick. I am extremely impressed with Jones's accuracy and he can move pretty well. Next year we will have a ton of cap space.

Reaction Score
Too early for that. The kid looked good but there have been many QBs who have looked good to start their careers and then dropped like a rock. More time is needed to assess him.

Agreed. A few meaningless pre season games and one regular season game is way too small of a sample size to determine if he was the right pick at #6.

Reaction Score
So, while I do subscribe to the theory that a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut, if Jones actually does become a big time QB, you do have to give Gettleman his credit. The talking heads, media, and fans blasted the pick. If he's right here, he deserves his fair share of credit.

An upgrade from spectacularly bad, to just bad is fair and just :D

I really think that most of these GMs and a ton of coaching staffs just aren't that good overall. They might have a few things they excel at, but for the most part they're winging it like everybody else. I think there's hope that gettleman is a solid talent evaluator but that's only part of the job.

Reaction Score
Giants have the worst D in the league but it looks like they may have themselves a franchise QB now and the best running back in the league. That's a great starting place, just wish I had any faith in them filling in the rest of the pieces.
Move engram to the WR2 and play a more traditional TE. Think mike Evans.

Reaction Score
Giants have the worst D in the league but it looks like they may have themselves a franchise QB now and the best running back in the league. That's a great starting place, just wish I had any faith in them filling in the rest of the pieces.

The defense is terrible. Yes. But the Dolphins are worse.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Collins is a guy who had one fantastic season sandwiched around a lot of hype, injuries, and pretty bad play on the field.

He was one of the cast offs that I thought GM Dave made the right call on.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Move engram to the WR2 and play a more traditional TE. Think mike Evans.

People totally slept on engram. While teams were reaching for wrs in the top 10, engram was testing as a Julio Jones level athlete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom