OT: - Daniel Jones | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Daniel Jones

Reaction Score
You have no idea of knowing if Jones would be available or not at 17. Based on what? What guys who aren't employed by NFL teams said on draft night?

There's no such thing as franchise players that aren't QBs too. You're not going to pass up on taking a guy who you think is going to be the QB the next 10 years on the chance he could be available 11 picks later.

Say we take Allen at 6. Someone else takes Jones at 16. Then what?
People watch the draft like another game. It isnt just the players you get. It is about winning on value. The giants may have lost Jones if he went to no. 17. Maybe maybe not.

But they wanted him.

Reaction Score
Gettleman tried to trade up

Per this link - Gettleman believed Jones was the franchise QB but still tried to trade up to get Allen right after taking Jones at 6.

I agonized over that,” Gettleman said. “I agonized. Before the draft, we discussed that thoroughly as a group — first last Friday, then again Wednesday. Obviously we had great regard for Josh Allen. But the one thing I have learned is you don’t fool around with a quarterback. If he’s your guy, you take him.”

Reaction Score
"By all accounts" aka what the talking heads said on draft night.

Far be it for me to defend Gettleman, but if he thought Jones was a franchise QB, you take him when you can.

A fair assessment and using the pick at 6 is far from his worst move, but at the time was a questionable one when a star player at their position of greatest need was right there.

The most critical error he made was BOTH spending $23M to bring Eli back and picking Jones. Do one. While the Giants may have future cap space available, they literally flushed $23M down the toilet this season.

Reaction Score
Dabo Sweeney calls Daniel Jones "a nightmare"

Came across this article from last year. It wasn't just Gettleman who was a big fan of the kid...

“We have not played Duke since 2012 and we have not had a lot of crossover tape with Duke, so I put the tape in and I usually start from their last game and I go from there,” Swinney said. “But I am watching this Duke-North Carolina game and I could not believe what I was seeing.

“He is incredibly accurate. He is very strong armed,” Swinney said. “I just kept watching him and kept watching him and I am like, ‘Oh my Lord!’ He is very knowledgeable and is obviously very well coached with (head coach David Cutcliffe). He is a pro. He is going to be a high pick in the draft for sure.

C

Chief00

Eli will thankfully never start again as a Giant. Jones is a big time athlete, already has like half as many rushing td's as Eli had his whole career.
Chief is thrilled the Giants have finally done what they should have done 5 years ago. Eli has been washed up for 5 years and this year takes up $23 million of cap space. Imagine the cornerbacks, linebackers and OL you could sign with that?
It is also very telling that thus far Eli has not been traded despite numerous teams needing a QB. The Giants will probably have to agree to eat a large portion of Eli’s contract for that to happen.

C

Chief00

It's funny, the thing so many flipped out on management for doing, grabbing Saquon instead of one of the QB's in a supposedly QB rich draft and taking Jones with the 6th pick when nobody else had him going even close to that high looks to have totally worked out. It's everything else that's been a mess.
Agree, I think he evaluates talent well other than keeping Eli. But, look what happened to the last coach and GM after they benched Eli?
In Carolina he had trouble keeping veteran players. Not sure why?
Soldier and Jenkins are two guys, who got abused yesterday and Soldier has a huge contract. So we need some additions by subtractions to field a team with enough play makers on both sides of the ball.
But Jones has finally given us hope and the long Eli nightmare is over.

C

Chief00

He’s
Good. I liked Jones, didn’t love him at draft. And yes you can look it up. The No. 6 vs. No. 17 was silly.

I am very very impressed with his deep ball, accuracy, poise. I think he obviously has a world of talent. No idea the vitriol behind him by the sports media.

I was a big Eli backer, because he is still a decent QB in the league. But, Eli regressed to average level nfl QB at best. There is nothing Eli can do that Daniel Jones can’t. And Jones has more athleticism and can really get the ball downfield. That impressed me.

And I don’t want to hear any draftnik ever again. Nerds were like he doesn’t have a good arm. Yeah, that isn’t true.
I agree with many of your observations but I don’t think Eli has been a decent QB for years. He gave the team no hope of winning and Beckham hated playing with him since he couldn’t make the throws anymore and padded his completion % with short throws in which the receivers were exposed to tough hits and injury risk.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dabo Sweeney calls Daniel Jones "a nightmare"

Came across this article from last year. It wasn't just Gettleman who was a big fan of the kid...

Patriots were looking at Jones too. While #6 was too high, he was a legit first round pick. How many amazing athletes with great arm strength never make it as NFL QBs? Most of them. Brain power matters more. Jones has that and good enough physical tools.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of your observations but I don’t think Eli has been a decent QB for years. He gave the team no hope of winning and Beckham hated playing with him since he couldn’t make the throws anymore and padded his completion % with short throws in which the receivers were exposed to tough hits and injury risk.

Please with the OBJ crap he couldn’t even stay healthy screw him. Eli couldn’t make the throws yet OBJ broke some rookie and 2-3 year stat records huh. I mean he’s done and it’s time but you guys crapping on him is a joke. They had no one to play they did a crappy job until now finding a suitable replacement that’s not on Eli. They gave him the worst OLine in football for 2-3 years that’s not made up.

I will agree last year was time but they had nothing and now they have someone it may seem so be happy it worked out this way. Also Gettleman proves his ineptitude yet again because let’s be honest if there was a chance they would replace him 2 games into this year then why sign him at all it’s ridiculous. No plan with these guys on top I feel for Barkley and now Jones with this management group.

Thank you Eli you were a great Giant!!!!

Next....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Marcus Mariota has a debut like this...against a similar terrible bucs team....he’s now an Andy dalton type.

But yeah adding say, Mosley to the d and just turning it over to jones should’ve been the move

Reaction Score
People talk about the fumbles. The kid was sacked 5 times and pressured 18 times. You don’t think Eli gets stripped in those situations? We’ve seen it.

Reaction Score

Eli was at best average last couple of years. So I don’t think we are that far apart. I think Eli was limited, and the biggest difference in Jones is he gets the ball downfield. Eli was never accurate, that is what kept him from being great. Very inconsistent thrower.

Ya gotta say he was a pretty good big game player and a great underdog.

Eli used to throw a great deep ball. But they kind of stopped that later in career. He is allowed to get old though. There is also something to athleticism. You have to be able to move the pocket. Eli could do that at 28. 36? Just lost a step and that made a slow dude statue man.

Jones’ poise and processing of the offense was outstanding.

Reaction Score
Btw. If You are OBJ today, Let’s call a spade a spade. Baker Mayfield was awful last night. He has been awful this year. What does his numbers look like without that one touchdown to Odell?

I didn’t see a ton of baker last year. But have watched all three browns games. He looks awful, leaves the pocket, not patient, and just doesn’t go where he needs to with the ball. Is that something we can’t say?

Reaction Score
Btw. If You are OBJ today, Let’s call a spade a spade. Baker Mayfield was awful last night. He has been awful this year. What does his numbers look like without that one touchdown to Odell?

I didn’t see a ton of baker last year. But have watched all three browns games. He looks awful, leaves the pocket, not patient, and just doesn’t go where he needs to with the ball. Is that something we can’t say?
Was he the one that called out the Giants for Jones?

Reaction Score
Was he the one that called out the Giants for Jones?
Ha. Yes.

Imagine if Eli put up the numbers Baker has in three games. Entire world would have whined that Odell is being wasted.

Reaction Score
Daniel Jones played really well and as a Patriot fan with a healthy respect for the Giants it was good to see. A great first game for him and the D stepped up big in the second half. The Giant fans on the board will sleep well this week, enjoy it and hope they use this as a springboard for the rest of the season. Good luck except when you play you no who.

Reaction Score
Daniel Jones played really well and as a Patriot fan with a healthy respect for the Giants it was good to see. A great first game for him and the D stepped up big in the second half. The Giant fans on the board will sleep well this week, enjoy it and hope they use this as a springboard for the rest of the season. Good luck except when you play you no who.

"No" who?

Or know who lol.

You will sleep well knowing you have the Giants as well as the Jets and Fins one more time won't you haha. Hey he showed a lot no doubt and there will be some good things in the future from DJ. But I think Fishy said it best there will be plenty of speed bumps against better defenses as he grows and we just hope he stays healthy. We will see.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
and the D stepped up big in the second half
I must have missed that part. They got shredded on the final drive and got lucky when the Bucs shanked an easy FG.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'I like mr jones. when you wade thru all the garbage associated with both nfl and nba 'expert' analysis and the resultant drafts, the actual record of those picks is quite bad, hence the patriots. as another potential 'progeny' from the hands of the man associated with both eli and peyton, his provenance is noteworthy. give me a 6'5 er with a football brain, drive, and athleticism, and i'll give you a winning nfl quarterback for the new york football giants. we'll see, but I like the pick. a lot.' BY, 4/25/19.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I must have missed that part. They got shredded on the final drive and got lucky when the Bucs shanked an easy FG.
They allowed 3 points in the second half

Reaction Score
It's funny, the thing so many flipped out on management for doing, grabbing Saquon instead of one of the QB's in a supposedly QB rich draft and taking Jones with the 6th pick when nobody else had him going even close to that high looks to have totally worked out. It's everything else that's been a mess.

The issue is that literally nobody else was that high on Jones. Gettleman could have drafted a stud DL with the #6 pick and still had Jones sitting there at 17.

Barkley is immensely talented, but the positional value of taking a RB at #2 is awful.

Forget checkers, Gettleman plays tiddly-winks while everyone else is playing chess.

Reaction Score
They only gave up 3 points in the second half. Janoris Jenkins did his best to ruin the game but if you told me the Giants D would hold anyone to 3 points in a half...

Reaction Score
Please with the OBJ crap he couldn’t even stay healthy screw him. Eli couldn’t make the throws yet OBJ broke some rookie and 2-3 year stat records huh. I mean he’s done and it’s time but you guys crapping on him is a joke. They had no one to play they did a crappy job until now finding a suitable replacement that’s not on Eli. They gave him the worst OLine in football for 2-3 years that’s not made up.

I will agree last year was time but they had nothing and now they have someone it may seem so be happy it worked out this way. Also Gettleman proves his ineptitude yet again because let’s be honest if there was a chance they would replace him 2 games into this year then why sign him at all it’s ridiculous. No plan with these guys on top I feel for Barkley and now Jones with this management group.

Thank you Eli you were a great Giant!!!!

Next....

This is 100% correct and I'm not even a Giants fan.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They only gave up 3 points in the second half. Janoris Jenkins did his best to ruin the game but if you told me the Giants D would hold anyone to 3 points in a half...

If that’s a better thrown ball by Winston to Evans, that’s 6

Reaction Score
The issue is that literally nobody else was that high on Jones. Gettleman could have drafted a stud DL with the #6 pick and still had Jones sitting there at 17.

Barkley is immensely talented, but the positional value of taking a RB at #2 is awful.

Forget checkers, Gettleman plays tiddly-winks while everyone else is playing chess.
Gettleman stinks and Jones most likely would've been there but if you are 100% sold on having your franchise QB you take him. If Jones really is the guy Gettleman will be forgiven for all his other boneheadery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom