Dan Mullen 'rumor' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Mullen 'rumor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
would say DC doing his job. Imagine he follows them on twitter, checks their website daily or has contacted guy who runs the site. Mutual back-scratching arrangement my guess.

I'm all in with Mullen. Much easier to win here than Mississippi State (pending the upcoming conference invite)

Yep, me too. He's got to be on any very short list if available.

Reaction Score
The one uncomfortable thing about the Mullen talk is that he has to have an average-to-bad month for him to be a candidate here. He wins the next four and he's the freaking Governor of the part of Mississippi that likes MSU. Not at the "hope Mississippi State loses a couple so we can get him" stage.

And another thing: if you did the blind-test measuring UConn and Mississippi State as to which one belongs in a P5 (tv market, etc), it's not even a discussion. Yet another reason to hate CR.

Reaction Score
If our new coach can get us to 5-7 the next 2 years I will scrape the dead skin off his feet for no charge.

Reaction Score
MSU is a tough place to win. Always has been. It's the kind of place you coach at hoping to get an early success and parlay that into a better gig. Mullen is a fine coach, I like seeing his name mentioned.

Reaction Score
If our new coach can get us to 5-7 the next 2 years I will scrape the dead skin off his feet for no charge.

The odds of that happening are pretty good if we hire the right team. I really don't believe this team is that bad. We have the necessary parts, they are just not working together well enough to win.

Reaction Score
While his coming here would shock me, I second the sentiments earlier that at least the pool is cleaner/better than the one we were forced to swim in last time we needed a HC.

To me, the real question is not what will the HC make - he will do just fine monetarily. My concern is whether the admin is willing to pay up for assistants. It is there, I would suggest we are operating like a mid-major. If I were a potential coach, that might be my first question of WM.

Reaction Score
I dont mean to digress but 5-7 in 2 years is unacceptable. There is talent here, and there is talent to get back to a bowl next year. The wheels came off the bus this year, plain and simple. We may end up 0-12, but this thing is simply spiraling. With the right coach, the right mindset, this team can win next year, period.

Reaction Score
The supposed candidate pool gets better every time we look. Really wished Hathaway had gone with Hughes interim instead of rushing the P hire, but what's done is done.

Reaction Score
I don't take this all that seriously......but I would take Mullen in a nanosecond.

Agreed. I worry we are getting into the phase in the season where these type of sites (w/ knowledgeable people) start tossing thing against the internet walls to see what sticks or as favors to coaches/agents. DM has the right background tho.

Reaction Score
The one uncomfortable thing about the Mullen talk is that he has to have an average-to-bad month for him to be a candidate here. He wins the next four and he's the freaking Governor of the part of Mississippi that likes MSU. Not at the "hope Mississippi State loses a couple so we can get him" stage.

And another thing: if you did the blind-test measuring UConn and Mississippi State as to which one belongs in a P5 (tv market, etc), it's not even a discussion. Yet another reason to hate CR.

But, Mississippi produces a lot of football players. The problem of course is that this seems to be the main focus of the state. Schools are certainly not a focus at all.

Reaction Score

Well it's a damn good thing you didn't make that same offer to the previous regime ... you would need one of these!

ped-egg-pedikura-skrabka-na-paty.jpg

Reaction Score
This illustrates the fine line Warde is walking now. Think we're all cool with him putting out feelers but protocol probably means he can't get into the full-on negotiating with someone currently under contract.
Leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, someone representing Edsall was chatting away with Maryland. Sometimes, agents, executive recruiters, other coaching representatives, or, even attorneys, can exist for good reasons. For example, possible queries and discussions about potential employment opportunities.

Reaction Score
Leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, someone representing Edsall was chatting away with Maryland. Sometimes, agents, executive recruiters, other coaching representatives, or, even attorneys, can exist for good reasons. For example, possible queries and discussions about potential employment opportunities.

Good points all. And pretty sure he wasn't Maryland's first choice either, so give the Terps credit for having their contingency plan in place.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
BetterCallSaul-Banner-New-560.jpg

Reaction Score
The supposed candidate pool gets better every time we look. Really wished Hathaway had gone with Hughes interim instead of rushing the P hire, but what's done is done.

Does anyone else think that Hathaway is sitting at Hofstra thinking, "boy, did I f'k them(us)?" His is probably Sunday morning reporting about UCONN FB's latest loss.

Reaction Score
Well it's a damn good thing you didn't make that same offer to the previous regime ... you would need one of these!

ped-egg-pedikura-skrabka-na-paty.jpg
would not one simply need

Z

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that Hathaway is sitting at Hofstra thinking, "boy, did I f'k them(us)?" His smut is probably Sunday morning reporting about UCONN FB's latest loss.

You are giving him to much credit....did not know he could "read" let alone think before he acted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good to see the next coach is already being set up with unreasonable expectations.

Digging a team this bad out of the hole is a multi-year project.

If your expectation is this team can go bowling next year.. You better mean on a team building trip to Willi Bowl and the Cedarwood Lounge because they aren't winning 6 football games unless there is an injection of players who can immediately contribute at multiple positions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
"It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there" -- Lou Holtz on Fayetteville, Ark. Starkville is probably where he was looking

Lou also once said "You know why they call it Storrs? They finally added a second store!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good to see the next coach is already being set up with unreasonable expectations.

Digging a team this bad out of the hole is a multi-year project.

If your expectation is this team can go bowling next year.. You better mean on a team building trip to Willi Bowl and the Cedarwood Lounge because they aren't winning 6 football games unless there is an injection of players who can immediately contribute at multiple positions.

The bulk of the digging is restoring a sense of confidence. After constantly being berated from before spring practice 2011 until late September 2013 it will take a bit of time and a number of Knute Rockne speeches to get their heads right.

There is (and will be next season) more talent than our current performance shows. Being short staffed by two coaches at the moment doesn't help either. It is not unreasonable to believe that a coach like a Mullen or Nutt could get us to seven or eight wins next season. That doesn't mean that we will have undone all of the damage in one fell swoop, we will need years of better recruiting, better teaching and better game coaching to get where we should be already (and to get where we want to be) but thinking that becoming bowl eligible next year is an unreasonable goal may be a bit too pessimistic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The bulk of the digging is restoring a sense of confidence. After constantly being berated from before spring practice 2011 until late September 2013 it will take a bit of time and a number of Knute Rockne speeches to get their heads right.

There is (and will be next season) more talent than our current performance shows. Being short staffed by two coaches at the moment doesn't help either. It is not unreasonable to believe that a coach like a Mullen or Nutt could get us to seven or eight wins next season. That doesn't mean that we will have undone all of the damage in one fell swoop, we will need years of better recruiting, better teaching and better game coaching to get where we should be already (and to get where we want to be) but thinking that becoming bowl eligible next year is an unreasonable goal may be a bit too pessimistic.

It is completely unreasonable to talk about 7-8 wins. It's completely insane.

There is no offensive line. There is no one who can get to a quarterback on the defense. The roster is incredibly thin and will only get thinner with the coaching change.

I'll let it go for now - but anyone who has thoughts of winning 7-8 games in 2014 is totally and completely out of their minds and measuring the success of the new coach against that standard is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom