Dan Mullen 'rumor' | The Boneyard

Dan Mullen 'rumor'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan Mullen is part of "The New Hampshire Mafia" (Chip Kelly and Gary Crowton) due to his ties to the state. For those old enough to remember, he quarterbacked Trinity HS (Manchester NH) to the state championship in 1988. He also has those well known and close coaching ties to Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Word is that when Cam Newton's father chose Auburn for him (remember the money grab) over Miss St, Cam has said the toughest call he had to make was to Mullen's wife.
Dan is a great QB developer and would bring some SEC credentials (and media attention) to the program. I like the idea.

Reaction Score
Dan Mullen is part of "The New Hampshire Mafia" (Chip Kelly and Gary Crowton) due to his ties to the state. For those old enough to remember, he quarterbacked Trinity HS (Manchester NH) to the state championship in 1988. He also has those well known and close coaching ties to Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. Word is that when Cam Newton's father chose Auburn for him (remember the money grab) over Miss St, Cam has said the toughest call he had to make was to Mullen's wife.
Dan is a great QB developer and would bring some SEC credentials (and media attention) to the program. I like the idea.

All good things, but none of which indicates he can coach. Some guys are just not cut out to be the head guy, it's not like he's burning it up at Miss St. I have heard he's a decent recruiter but recruiting in this region? I would rather have a coach who can do the job vs bringing media attention.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would not be opposed one bit to Dan Mullen coming here. Ties to New England, an excellent recruiter, and a strong QB developer (we seem to have a plethora of young QBs in our program). Plus, he has a winning record in the SEC and has connections to Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly. Actually, the more I type, the more I like it. That would certainly be a hire that could change the perception of our program.

Reaction Score
Weird Dez just tweeted out the same thing a little while after that football rumor mill site put it up

Reaction Score
I can't link from my nook but if you get a chance check out his bio on the Miss St website. My questions were answered.

Reaction Score

Who has he developed as a head coach? I don't recall a Miss State QB standing out in any sense.

Reaction Score
I just asked a coworker who is from MS and a big fan of Miss. State. He said in general they do like Mullen and they've been to a bowl game three years in a row but he can never win the big one. They started calling for change after they lost to Ole Miss last year and he thinks if they lose to Ole Miss again this year he is gone.

Reaction Score
Dan Mullen is an incredible coach in an impossible situation. Had they been willing to poney up the extra $20K for cam Newton, he probably would have a National Championship right now.

To say that I would be excited about this would be a massive understatement. The guy is only 41. I think he would be a wild success here and move back to a larger conference in 4 years. That's our goal here.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's interesting how having time to make the decision factors in. Last time, it was an obvious rush job- the timing of Edsall's departure was terrible. Now we have time to cast a much wider net and measure the interest of a lot of different candidates.

You can also see how Edsall was able to leave at a moments notice- the groundwork was done well in advance.

Reaction Score
Weird Dez just tweeted out the same thing a little while after that football rumor mill site put it up

would say DC doing his job. Imagine he follows them on twitter, checks their website daily or has contacted guy who runs the site. Mutual back-scratching arrangement my guess.

I'm all in with Mullen. Much easier to win here than Mississippi State (pending the upcoming conference invite)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Miss State is the poster child for unrealistic expectations. If they have a coach who can recruit and get them to bowl games every year, they should hold on to him like the grip of death.

I'm confident a guy like that can hang in the AAC. I only wonder if these names we are hearing are realistic. JH incompetence aside, our program was more attractive three years ago.

Reaction Score
Mullen would be a great get, maybe he could bring a few recruits and Miss State coaches with him.

Mullen was replaced by Adazzio as offensive coordinator at Florida when Mullen got the Miss St job, maybe Burton likes Urban Meyer's offensive coordinators. I prefer this to say Tom Herman because Mullen already has head coaching experience and has proven he can win.

Reaction Score
All good things, but none of which indicates he can coach. Some guys are just not cut out to be the head guy, it's not like he's burning it up at Miss St. I have heard he's a decent recruiter but recruiting in this region? I would rather have a coach who can do the job vs bringing media attention.

Yeah, how does going 4-4 against Auburn, Tenn, Alabama, Kentucky, Texas A&M, LSU, Ark, and Ole Miss in 2012 with the level of recruiting those schools do prove anything about his ability to coach. Of those 8 schools, expect that many have "talent" levels (and player payrolls) quite a bit higher than Miss. State.

Reaction Score
Miss. State is in Starkville. One of the most appropriately named burgs in the world.
Had a friend that interviewed there once in a hotel suite. Administrator and his assistant emerged from the bedroom looking rumpled after a secretary opened the door. Questions were asked such as, "How would you feel about not being able to worship in a this small town since the churches are few?" "Do you have bad allergies?" "Are you lonesome?"

Reaction Score
Miss State is the poster child for unrealistic expectations. If they have a coach who can recruit and get them to bowl games every year, they should hold on to him like the grip of death.

I'm confident a guy like that can hang in the AAC. I only wonder if these names we are hearing are realistic. JH incompetence aside, our program was more attractive three years ago.

Agree with this entirely. Every fanbase has delusions of grandeur about their program. Reminds of the people who hated Edsall because it took him 6 years to win a Big East title.

Reaction Score

Some odd logic at the end there. Don't think he's any less attractive to UConn at 5-7 and it would make the transition easier. Hell, he could resign before he gets fired after MSU's last game and could save a ton of face.

This illustrates the fine line Warde is walking now. Think we're all cool with him putting out feelers but protocol probably means he can't get into the full-on negotiating with someone currently under contract.

Also a case where an incentive-laden contract has merit. I think there would be some understandable raised eyebrows if he started at $2.6 million a year. (starting with nabobs who write editorials). But if he meets measurable criteria that would help him equal or exceed 2.6 would be hard to argue with that

Reaction Score
Miss. State is in Starkville. One of the most appropriately named burgs in the world.
Had a friend that interviewed there once in a hotel suite. Administrator and his assistant emerged from the bedroom looking rumpled after a secretary opened the door. Questions were asked such as, "How would you feel about not being able to worship in a this small town since the churches are few?" "Do you have bad allergies?" "Are you lonesome?"

"It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there" -- Lou Holtz on Fayetteville, Ark. Starkville is probably where he was looking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom