Dan Mullen 'rumor' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Mullen 'rumor'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there" -- Lou Holtz on Fayetteville, Ark. Starkville is probably where he was looking
I was there once. It's about 2 miles past the sign that says "End of the world, 1 mile."

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that Hathaway is sitting at Hofstra thinking, "boy, did I f'k them(us)?" His smut is probably Sunday morning reporting about UCONN FB's latest loss.

To be clear, my original Post did not use the word "smut." My word, a word that begins with "p," has an "o" and an "r" and ends with "n," was replaced with the priggish "smut." Just sayin.

Reaction Score
It is completely unreasonable to talk about 7-8 wins. It's completely insane.

There is no offensive line. There is no one who can get to a quarterback on the defense. The roster is incredibly thin and will only get thinner with the coaching change.

I'll let it go for now - but anyone who has thoughts of winning 7-8 games in 2014 is totally and completely out of their minds and measuring the success of the new coach against that standard is ridiculous.

I love a board where is someone has an opinion that differs from yours they are insane.

First it takes 6 wins to get to a bowl, not 7 or 8. Second, I believe there is talent on this team and that is was poorly coached and has now simply rolled over. Third, the schedule has Army, Stony Brook and the AAC, w/o Ville or RU. Yes, we can compete with Tulane, Memphis, Temple and USF, among others - that's 6. Last, I will never go into a season throwing in the towel. But I think if you plan on telling the new coach and his team, hey we suck, we have no talent and I have zero expectations for you over the next 3 years, then why not bring back the former regime and get exactly that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good to see the next coach is already being set up with unreasonable expectations.

Digging a team this bad out of the hole is a multi-year project.

If your expectation is this team can go bowling next year.. You better mean on a team building trip to Willi Bowl and the Cedarwood Lounge because they aren't winning 6 football games unless there is an injection of players who can immediately contribute at multiple positions.

While I don't think it is fair to expect it, it is certainly possible. The league isn't that strong (and is weaker next year), and even this team lost games that they had no business losing with current talent level. I'd say this talent should yield a 3-4 win team. Playing Boyle will hopefully pay dividends next year.

Maryland is bowl bound. UCF is seriously good. Cinci is 6-2. Michigan is 6-2. Even Buffalo is 7-2 and their only losses are to Ohio State and Baylor, both ranked. Next up, Louisville at 7-1. So six of our first eight games will have been very tough games against bowl bound teams. We should rally to beat Temple and Memphis and will have a chance against SMU and Rutgers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love a board where is someone has an opinion that differs from yours they are insane.

First it takes 6 wins to get to a bowl, not 7 or 8. Second, I believe there is talent on this team and that is was poorly coached and has now simply rolled over. Third, the schedule has Army, Stony Brook and the AAC, w/o Ville or RU. Yes, we can compete with Tulane, Memphis, Temple and USF, among others - that's 6. Last, I will never go into a season throwing in the towel. But I think if you plan on telling the new coach and his team, hey we suck, we have no talent and I have zero expectations for you over the next 3 years, then why not bring back the former regime and get exactly that?

He said 7-8 specifically.

Why don't you do this. Post the teams that have gone from 0-12/1-11 to 7-5/8-4 in one year - or even the bowl teams that were 1-11 the prior year.

There is a pretty big chasm between zero expectations and expectations that are completely unreasonable.

There is some talent on this team, but not nearly enough. Maybe there are a ton of playmakers here that have been held back by the coaching - but it hasn't manifested itself on the field in any way.

Going into next season if Smallwood leaves there isn't even a position group that rates as average in the league. So unless there is a huge influx of talent - I don't see how you can expect a huge jump in wins.

Maybe you catch lighting in a bottle and the conference schedule gives you the bad teams and you avoid the good teams - but expecting a magical turnaround is just setting up failure.

Reaction Score
In hindsight, this was a very difficult schedule we faced so far. There were some bad losses to be sure, but It was no picnic. But put me in the camp that says that this team isn't as bad as it has looked. It was very poorly coached and continues to be poorly coached in my view. Weist has some elements of a good head coach, but he needs a good deal more seasoning, maybe a couple of years as a coordinator somewhere first. He panicked in putting Boyle out there as unprepared as he has been, and he has been at best inconsistent in his play calling. Bottom line is that this is a team that I think could turn pretty dramatically with the right guy running the show. Though to be clear when I say pretty dramatically I mean 6 wins, maybe 7 on the outside, not 11-1. Good coaches have done similar things before. No reason the right guy can't do it here. We have the makings of a good quarterback and 2 solid receivers, a couple of at least adequate running backs and some young talent of the defensive side. It isn't that uncommon.

Reaction Score
It might be a bit much to ask for 6 wins next year with a new coach, but who knows? Even Steve Kragthorpe did it in his first year at Tulsa in 2003. Tulsa was 1-11 in 2002 and 8-5 in 2003.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Huskymedic: You get the gold star for reading comprehension! ;) If you look at the two blog articles, the latter clearly says at the top that it's "Fake MSU News" (as opposed to the former which was simply rumor). :confused:

As does the URL... poor LRock. Snookered.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is not a gag as Miss St fans want to win big and think Mullen hasn't done the job. He is also having issues because of being involved with Scientology.
I am not sure he will be the next UCONN coach but he is a solid choice if it goes that way

Reaction Score
I thought that due to location MS State would not recruit that well. They are consistently in the Top 15-40 teams over the last 5 years. They are usually in the bottom half, but recruit much better than some of the otherSEC teams.

Looking for somebody like Edsall who seemed to do wonders with marginal classes. Just from the numbers it appears that he did not coach up middle of the road classes in the SEC.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&view=2&yr=2010

Reaction Score

Why don't you do this. Post the teams that have gone from 0-12/1-11 to 7-5/8-4 in one year - or even the bowl teams that were 1-11 the prior year.

There is a pretty big chasm between zero expectations and expectations that are completely unreasonable.

There is some talent on this team, but not nearly enough. Maybe there are a ton of playmakers here that have been held back by the coaching - but it hasn't manifested itself on the field in any way.

Going into next season if Smallwood leaves there isn't even a position group that rates as average in the league. So unless there is a huge influx of talent - I don't see how you can expect a huge jump in wins.

Maybe you catch lighting in a bottle and the conference schedule gives you the bad teams and you avoid the good teams - but expecting a magical turnaround is just setting up failure.

You need a 6 game turnaround (this team is going 0-12 and has cashed it in, IMO). I said 6; I'll let the guy who said 7-8 speak for himself. But to answer your question, 2 in the last decade or so, Hawaii and Miami Ohio. Also, a number of teams have had 6 win improvements, including So Carolina and Ole Miss in the SEC, Oklahoma, and Northwestern. It is not impossible. Can it be done - WTF knows, might depend on who the coach is, who stays, who plays, etc. I simply dont have the same view of the talent on this team that you have. It ain't BCS playoff talent, but it can be molded in to a 6-6 team in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You need a 6 game turnaround (this team is going 0-12 and has cashed it in, IMO). I said 6; I'll let the guy who said 7-8 speak for himself. But to answer your question, 2 in the last decade or so, Hawaii and Miami Ohio. Also, a number of teams have had 6 win improvements, including So Carolina and Ole Miss in the SEC, Oklahoma, and Northwestern. It is not impossible. Can it be done - WTF knows, might depend on who the coach is, who stays, who plays, etc. I simply dont have the same view of the talent on this team that you have. It ain't BCS playoff talent, but it can be molded in to a 6-6 team in the AAC.

Can it hapoen? Sure.

Should it be expected? Just set up to disappoint.

Reaction Score
I thought that due to location MS State would not recruit that well. They are consistently in the Top 15-40 teams over the last 5 years. They are usually in the bottom half, but recruit much better than some of the otherSEC teams.

Looking for somebody like Edsall who seemed to do wonders with marginal classes. Just from the numbers it appears that he did not coach up middle of the road classes in the SEC.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&view=2&yr=2010

But, before him they won like 2 or 3 games a year for a decade. They've improved. The schools above him in the SEC are simply the best. He has Miss. St. in that 7-9 wins range, which is great for them. They'll never be LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, A&M or Tennessee. They are competing against Ole Miss and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
But, before him they won like 2 or 3 games a year for a decade. They've improved. The schools above him in the SEC are simply the best. He has Miss. St. in that 7-9 wins range, which is great for them. They'll never be LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, A&M or Tennessee. They are competing against Ole Miss and Kentucky.
Maybe he can work magic. Could we afford $2.5 million then. Remember in Storrs kids actually have to go to classes.

Mississippi St graduates 62%.

Reaction Score
Maybe he can work magic. Could we afford $2.5 million then. Remember in Storrs kids actually have to go to classes.

Mississippi St graduates 62%.

In the future, no one will have to go to classes, anywhere!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Off the top of my head I can throw out UTEP when Mike Price took over. I will look up others but I'll wager heavily that this has happened a few times, especially when inept leadership is replaced by quality head coaching.

I don't know what we will do next year and I won't see less than any specific number of wins as a failure (I don't know why you inferred this). I do know that we have the talent to be competitive in this conference, especially once Louisville leaves.

About two months ago I stated on this board to Spackler that he needed to find another hobby. For different reasons I recommend that you do the same. While you are not obsessing to the level that Spackler was (and he did take it even further), your self loathing cannot possibly be healthy. If something made me as miserable as this makes you I would seriously reassess the role that I have allowed it to play in my life. Just a suggestion.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
To be clear, my original Post did not use the word "smut." My word, a word that begins with "p," has an "o" and an "r" and ends with "n," was replaced with the priggish "smut." Just sayin.

The censorship on this site is amazing at times. Now we can't use the word P or N? Well atleast they can't censor dirty pictures!!!

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/a-funny--drawings2.jpg?w=500&h=357

HEY!!! What the..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I can throw out UTEP when Mike Price took over. I will look up others but I'll wager heavily that this has happened a few times, especially when inept leadership is replaced by quality head coaching.

I don't know what we will do next year and I won't see less than any specific number of wins as a failure (I don't know why you inferred this). I do know that we have the talent to be competitive in this conference, especially once Louisville leaves.

About two months ago I stated on this board to Spackler that he needed to find another hobby. For different reasons I recommend that you do the same. While you are not obsessing to the level that Spackler was (and he did take it even further), your self loathing cannot possibly be healthy. If something made me as miserable as this makes you I would seriously reassess the role that I have allowed it to play in my life. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice buddy. Not sure how understanding how long it takes to fix a broken program equals self-loathing but I'll take it under advisement.

It took some folks a long time to process the reality of Pasqualoni - y'all will get there in this topic too.

pj

Reaction Score
While his coming here would shock me, I second the sentiments earlier that at least the pool is cleaner/better than the one we were forced to swim in last time we needed a HC.

To me, the real question is not what will the HC make - he will do just fine monetarily. My concern is whether the admin is willing to pay up for assistants. It is there, I would suggest we are operating like a mid-major. If I were a potential coach, that might be my first question of WM.

Along with assistant salaries, is budget for recruiting staff. With the recent rule changes you can hire an unlimited non-coaching recruiting staff, and the big schools have large staffs. UConn as far as I know has none -- the coaches are still doing the recruiting. And recruits said the food spread was worse at UConn than other colleges. If you can't spend on recruiting, it's hard to win.

I would love to get Mullen, he's the first name I've heard that is both feasible and really excites me. But he should also have $1-2 mn per year for recruiting staff and $2 mn for assistants. Football is a big ticket item and will need support from boosters/donors to sustain it through these lean years.

Reaction Score
With the recent rule changes you can hire an unlimited non-coaching recruiting staff, and the big schools have large staffs. .
Almost positive that proposed rule change never went through and was suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom