Dan Hurley to Florida? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
1. Hurley loves rebuilding programs. He's said so many times.

2. He's not going to Florida.

It's sort of wild that a throwaway line in an article has generated this long a thread.

I’m enjoying seeing people telling on themselves

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think some of you are way off on the prestige of a UConn basketball coaching job. We are a destination job, not a stepping stone.

Especially for this guy, who has had UConn on a pedestal for 30 years

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here’s the problem with your analysis. UConn isn’t a top 10 program, and the New Big East is not the Big East. It has exactly 1 team people consider a power, and which is deserving of that consideration. And “anywhere else” would most certainly not be a step down. Most Big 10, most original ACC, Most B12 and SEC would be steps up. When your regular season champ can’t crack the top 10 all year, that tells you everything you need to know about how prestigious the NEWBIE is.

I'm glad you posted this.

More people here should be exposed to your penetrating analysis and poetic prose. You are a man on a mission, and always worth reading. I feel my very eyesight improving every time I read your posts. What have we done to deserve you?

Thank you for so diligently focusing on the problems, and never the solution. We need you to educate us, and never doubt that the majority of married posters' spouses want you to father their baby. I am not married. I want to be your baby. I'll be your baby tonight.

Never stop bringing your magic to this forum, always & forever. You get it!

#FreeFryFroFrum
#Freesplaining
#Freesplainer
#Freedumb

(I know that your natural modesty will keep you from Liking this post, but that's OK. It's part of what makes you so valuable.)

Reaction Score
Maybe he can leverage this into having the XL Center reduced to rubble

Or he can use it as leverage to get it brought into the 21st century.. I don't understand the perpetual cynicism. You guys really want to not have a beautiful downtown arena on par with any other in the country? We really want to play all our games in a crappy Gampel? Talk about small time. Don't you think UConn deserves a state-of-the-art facility?

Reaction Score
I can't wait to revisit this thread to see the hot takes on Thursday night if we lose...

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here is an exhaustive list from SB Nation which does not include Hurley:

Here is a non inspiring candy a$# version of the alligator chomp that fans have morphed into:

It might be humorous though to see Hurley leading the alligator army in "The Chomp"

Reaction Score
Hurley also stated he loves the history of UConn, he deeply respects it and wants to be a part of it. Ya, money talks. It would take a lot for him to walk IMO. But the only schools that can compete with UConn in history are UCLA (obviously), UNC (duh), Kentucky (of course), Kansas, Indiana, Duke and that's about it. Other recent blue bloods are MSU, Zona and maybe Florida but Florida is below all those other teams just mentioned (Zona is too). Duke had an opening but that is already filled. That is the only worry I personally had. Cuse will stick with Jimmy B until his sons are old enough/experienced enough to coach probably so other than that, can't picture Hurley leaving for anything else other than those. Maybe if Indiana does not improve and their fans get restless again I would worry about that. Lville isn't a cultural fit IMO, not worried there.

Wouldn't be worried about anything outside of those schools and I picture Hurley more as a Few type of guy who wants to stay with the best non P5 team and make them into the best, period, without being too enticed by P5 money or prestige (or "prestige" from the large majority of the p5 teams I did not mention where prestige is really just tons of $$$).

Reaction Score
Why is it such a bad consideration?
Isn't his older brother at Arizona?
Not in the northeast, is it?
It's not as far fetched as it may sound. Florida has much more to offer than UC does. The SEC money that was mentioned, Recruiting will be a bit easier there. I mean, winters in Storrs, or Gainesville? He won't have to try to convince recruits to spend winters in Gainesville as opposed to Storrs. Facilities are a damned site better in FL, than UC. You don't have to play a portion of your home games in the Craphole XL Center. All of your home games are in the on campus facility. No, people, coaches today move around a lot more now than in the past. Will FL offer him the job? Maybe yes, maybe NO, but fans rejecting this possibility out of hand, might be in for a big surprise, if he does decide to move on.

Reaction Score
The only good thing you can say about this thread is at least there's a question mark in the title, since 95% of the time someone makes a stupid thread with a question they don't put one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hm. Well Mick Cronin was born and raised in Cincinnati, coached there for like 15 years, couldn't get past the sweet 16, then went to UCLA and was in the Final Four in year 2.

And no, I'm not comparing Cinci to UConn, but this is my point:
I think the whole "you can't have the same recruiting success outside the region you grew up in" is overrated. Hurley is an A+ recruiter and the University of Florida is extremely appealing to any 17 year old. He'd kill it at Florida. Florida is oozing with athletic talent. And getting Northeast kids to come down to Florida isn't necessarily a difficult sell.

Again, this is a silly argument because I agree- based on what we know about Hurley and his values, it seems unlikely he would leave if he was even offered this job. This report is probably bogus anyway.
But in many ways, Florida is not a "step down" for Hurley.
Strawman arguments. No one said you can’t have success away from your recruiting base. You can but absent to compelling reason to leave, why would you? Florida isn’t a better basketball job than UConn. It is even less so for Dan Hurley.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Scheyer inevitably crashes and burns at Duke in the next 3-5 years if not sooner, that's the opening that we- and fans of a lot of other top programs- are going to have to worry about. But that's a headache for another day.
Agreed, to the extent we have to worry at all. That’s a much better natural fit for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Why is it such a bad consideration?
Isn't his older brother at Arizona?
Not in the northeast, is it?
It's not as far fetched as it may sound. Florida has much more to offer than UC does. The SEC money that was mentioned, Recruiting will be a bit easier there. I mean, winters in Storrs, or Gainesville? He won't have to try to convince recruits to spend winters in Gainesville as opposed to Storrs. Facilities are a damned site better in FL, than UC. You don't have to play a portion of your home games in the Craphole XL Center. All of your home games are in the on campus facility. No, people, coaches today move around a lot more now than in the past. Will FL offer him the job? Maybe yes, maybe NO, but fans rejecting this possibility out of hand, might be in for a big surprise, if he does decide to move on.
This weather thing I don't really understand. It sounds good but I doubt bball recruits pick schools because of the weather. It seems too inconsequential of a factor to be your lead argument. Also, Wisconsin. Nova, gonzaga, Michigan, KY, Kansas, msu, would never get consistent recruits if winters were a real deal breaker. Also Gainesville is a swamp. It's in fla. but it aint Miami.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The confidence with which people speak about someone they’ve never spoken to is incredible. As if ever interview should be taken as gospel. I don’t think
Hurley would leave UConn but it wouldn’t shock me if he did at the end of the day it’s just a job. People leave elite companies all the time.

Reaction Score
Danny knows where he belongs. Besides, he sunburns way to easy to reside in Florida year round.

Reaction Score
If Danny returns UConn to elite borderline blue blood status, I think he’s a lifer. Maybe only the NBA threatens that.

I agree.... we're quite a few seasons away from that happening though. We still haven't won a tournament game in 4 years. IMO this season is kind of make or break for the program. If we can make a couple sweet-16s, we're back on the map. If we flame out in the first or second round consecutively

IMO the next two NCAATs and next years BET are more important to the program than the first 3 years of true rebuild mode. A lot of coaches can recruit well and win the games they're supposed to at the high-major level...they're a dime a dozen. Coaches who make runs in tournaments and win upsets are much harder to come by. I have faith we can get it done.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are way off on the prestige of a UConn basketball coaching job. We are a destination job, not a stepping stone.

Is Notre Dame football a destination job? Oklahoma football?

Normally I'd agree with you but the college sports landscape is much different than it used to be. Many were shocked when the coaches of prominent, blue blood programs left, and unfortunately, I don't think UConn basketball is above that either.

While Hurley is a NE guy and the UConn seems to make perfect sense, I could see a scenario in which he has a ton of success and possibly moves on to a Duke if/when Scheyer flames out. Or even if he has a moderate amount of success but keeps hitting a sweet sixteen/elite eight ceiling and feels like he just needs a change of scenery (ala Mick Cronin).

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If Florida comes sniffing around UConn for a coach, put Kimani under house arrest.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'm glad you posted this.

More people here should be exposed to your penetrating analysis and poetic prose. You are a man on a mission, and always worth reading. I feel my very eyesight improving every time I read your posts. What have we done to deserve you?

Thank you for so diligently focusing on the problems, and never the solution. We need you to educate us, and never doubt that the majority of married posters' spouses want you to father their baby. I am not married. I want to be your baby. I'll be your baby tonight.

Never stop bringing your magic to this forum, always & forever. You get it!

#FreeFryFroFrum
#Freesplaining
#Freesplainer
#Freedumb

(I know that your natural modesty will keep you from Liking this post, but that's OK. It's part of what makes you so valuable.)
I've been embiggened by reading you post.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Coach Hurley is leaving UCONN for Florida does not know Dan Hurley. This guy is a hard working, no nonsense, family-first person. He wears socks about pooping and he arm wrestles his brother at basketball tournaments. He likes UCONN because he's from the Northeast, played in the Big East, and his dad can attend the games. He wants to be a part of the UCONN basketball story. JC and GA are literally THE TOP of the college basketball coaching pyramid. Hurley wants to be a part of that legacy. He stays. The end.

Reaction Score
Here is a non inspiring candy a$# version of the alligator chomp that fans have morphed into:

It might be humorous though to see Hurley leading the alligator army in "The Chomp"

This made the thread worth it. That is the absolute worst scariest pathetic display . . .

cPkJNfC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer