Dan Hurley to Florida? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JC definitely liked to golf on Hilton Head. But Dan? I just can't see it. Florida is too relaxed for him. Then again, Billy Donovan was a NYC area PG from a Catholic HS who played at Big East school back in the day. So it's not like there is no precedent.
Donovan was also an assistant with Kentucky and then a head coach at Marshall. Had a lot more connection down that way than Hurley.

Reaction Score
I don't want to give this any oxygen....only thought I have is that if DH left I think he would choose a P6 that has never won a title but has a good basketball culture. DH will always be in Calhouns's shadow at UConn so I could see him eventually moving on to a good spot where he can try to set the standard at that school. Donovan won twice at FL so that kind of move seems unlikely to me anyway,

That said I don't see DH leaving anytime soon, at least not before a Final 4 run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember when we were worried the Lakers were going to steal KO? Things work themselves out. Don't think (and don't want) DH going anywhere but UConn will survive regardless.
Hindsight says he should have gone

Reaction Score
DH is a good coach. His name is going to come up for coaching jobs every year. He said he came to UConn to win Nattys. I trust him at his word. I always go back to how he treated the players when he was hired. A lot of folks wanted him to retool the roster but he stuck with the kids he inherited. He's a loyal guy. I know a lot of coaches have said there not going anywhere and take a new job the next day. I just don't think Hurley is wired that way.
UConn is a top 10 program in the country again now that we are back in the Big East. Unless one of Duke, UK, KU, or the NBA come calling, anywhere else would be a step down. We are not in that 2nd tier like the Xaviers, Providences, etc of the world (aka, potential stepping stone programs). We are the elite of the elite.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a very Northeast Guy
It would have to be a huge.
Then again Billy Donavan was as Norteast as they get. and he did pretty well.
When it was on the table Billy talked to his mentor,Petino who really didn’t think that it was such a great job. being a big Football School . When you think of it Rick gravitated to schools where basketball was either num. 1 UK, PC or close to football Louisville.
However Fla made Donavan an offer he couldn’t ‘t turn down. If they offer double your UConn salary what do you do?

Funny you mention Billy Donovan. That’s a guy Dan has consulted about basketball/professional matters and who he considers to be a mentor.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I'd like to know why folks think Florida has some kind of unlimited budget? A quick google shows White made ~$3mil just like Hurley does now. There is no way he'd leave for same, or even similar, money to go to Florida.

Delete this thread.

Reaction Score
I’m usually one of the people who rolls their eyes at the ESPN hates us narrative. But it’s actually disgusting they put Dan on that list with mid major coaches who’d be looking to step up. UConn isn’t Duke or Kentucky, but we aren’t Murray St holy.
It's just the Syracuse boys at ESPN who are disappointed that their school finished with a losing record and out of the NCAA tournament this year and ANY other for that matter as well! So they manufactured their own unsourced cheap shot at UConn to see what kind of trouble they could stir up. Simply the work of sore losers! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
JC himself said he was a hair away from going to South Carolina around 97
I think there were other factors in that though. He thought he’d be living in South Carolina before long because he loves Hilton Head and he had some issues with UConn giving the program the resources he was demanding. It all got worked out, but it was real close. Thank Pat Calhoun for that.

Reaction Score
If Danny returns UConn to elite borderline blue blood status, I think he’s a lifer. Maybe only the NBA threatens that.

Reaction Score
Dan just doesn’t seem like an NBA coach to me. He’s need to really overhaul his personality.
Could you imagine an nba players reaction to him screaming at them? I think it would be electric, although I suppose he could channel the inner thibs on the psycho meter

Reaction Score
If they offer double your UConn salary what do you do?

I think this Florida idea has zero legs so we’re speaking purely in hypotheticals, but I’d just note that his father turned down a ton of offers for more money to spend several decades at a school that was barely hanging on by a thread financially (and ultimately couldn’t, I think). So this guy does not come from a family motivated by money. And DH is making exponentially more money than pops ever did. Is $6M in Gainesville giving you a materially better life than $3M at UConn? Not unless your bank account is all that’s driving you.

TL; DR this is a dumb thread.

Reaction Score
DH wants to be an elite coach.. Can't happen at Florida.. Can happen in Storrs. Family ties too strong to leave Northeast -Their value to DH-Priceless.

Can't believe this is posted heading into our first weekend for the Big Dance..

Reaction Score
UConn is a better basketball job than Florida, and his recruiting ties are in the Northeast.
Not on this planet it isn’t. Some of you guys are just so NEWBIE-Centric you can’t accept reality. The NEWBIE is not comparable to the SEC in prestige, money or any other way. As for recruiting, you can always convince guys from Jersey to go to Florida. Getting guys to go the other easy takes the talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom