Dan Hurley to Florida? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You mean the same Murray State that is ranked 1 spot above us in the latest AP poll? Hate to break or to you but the NEWBIE is a P6 league in a P5 world.
If it's a P5 world then any P5 job would be better. Ole Miss, Miss state, wake forest, BC, and countless others aren't better jobs than Uconn.
And this thread is about Florida, not the SEC. Florida is playing Iona in the NIT so they are behind Murray State and Uconn and any team in the tourney as of this moment.

You also said Uconn is not a top ten program. If you mean as of today then no they are not. But you're obviously not only basing top 10 program on this year only? That'd be foolish. So what are you basing top ten program on? Past 20 years? Then we are at the top. But if you wanna go all the way back to the beginning - since 1940 then we are #6

The only thing Florida has or any other p5 other than KU, KY, Duke is money. Money is the only argument that can be made.

Reaction Score
This isn't even a rumor. It's just a random thought someone came up with lol
Exactly, this is a VERY irresponsible subject line and post by the OP, I’m surprised the thread is still up. The subject line makes people think it could be imminent and then in the article, it says other likely names that could emerge, smh. I won’t dislike his post and be douchey like a couple other guys on here but if a post ever deserved a dislike, this would be it.

Reaction Score
If it's a P5 world then any P5 job would be better. Ole Miss, Miss state, wake forest, BC, and countless others aren't better jobs than Uconn.
And this thread is about Florida, not the SEC. Florida is playing Iona in the NIT so they are behind Murray State and Uconn and any team in the tourney as of this moment.

You also said Uconn is not a top ten program. If you mean as of today then no they are not. But you're obviously not only basing top 10 program on this year only? That'd be foolish. So what are you basing top ten program on? Past 20 years? Then we are at the top. But if you wanna go all the way back to the beginning - since 1940 then we are #6

The only thing Florida has or any other p5 other than KU, KY, Duke is money. Money is the only argument that can be made.
Money is definitely not important anymore in the modern college basketball landscape

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I love the bending-over-backwards on here to argue that Florida isn't as good of a gig as UConn.

It's Florida. It's the SEC. It's a program with a pretty rich basketball history.

Don't get me wrong- I'd be shocked if Hurley leaves for it. He seems like a Northeast guy that likes to stick to his roots/family, and is here to build a monster at UConn and in the Big East. And UConn does have an even richer tradition.

But come on. It's a pretty dang appealing gig. I bet if they come knocking, Hurley would at least listen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love the bending-over-backwards on here to argue that Florida isn't as good of a gig as UConn.

It's Florida. It's the SEC. It's a program with a pretty rich basketball history.

Don't get me wrong- I'd be shocked if Hurley leaves for it. He seems like a Northeast guy, he has family and roots here, and is here to build a monster at UConn and in the Big East. And UConn does have an even richer tradition.

But come on. It's a pretty dang appealing gig.

Not really. I think what people are saying is it’s not a good enough gig to leave, for Dan Hurley who is the northeast guy.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't strike me as the guy who cares about making $5M if he's already makin $3M, especially if it means taking a huge hit on job security and leaving his entire northeast roots. Money isn't everything, people.

If a company offered to quadruple my salary to leave Boston for some southern city, I'd say no. I'm not leaving my life behind to chase a paycheck
Money isn’t everything but it is a major major factor. Seems unlikely he’ll leave for Florida, but the SEC & Big 10 schools are on their way to $100 mill payouts. Only a matter of time until these schools start throwing around even more cash towards these coaches. I hope he sticks it out, because he seems like a loyal coach and I think he will, but I’d never blame a coach for making a move that would triple their salary.

Reaction Score
Hurley is phenomenal at rebuilding programs, but it doesn’t seem like he particularly likes doing it. Who would when the pressure is so high? In his interview with Tiki and Tierney he expressed his frustration in his first couple of years at UConn. It’s not easy and it’s a ridiculous amount of work.

I can’t imagine he would get us to the point of success that we’re currently in and jump ship to go rebuild somewhere else. It’s a huge risk and it’s gotta be extremely taxing on him and his family mentally, and at a certain point just flat out not worth it. Unless we’re talking Nick Saban money…in that case, different story.

Reaction Score
Hurley is phenomenal at rebuilding programs, but it doesn’t seem like he particularly likes doing it. Who would when the pressure is so high? In his interview with Tiki and Tierney he expressed his frustration in his first couple of years at UConn. It’s not easy and it’s a ridiculous amount of work.

I can’t imagine he would get us to the point of success that we’re currently in and jump ship to go rebuild somewhere else. It’s a huge risk and it’s gotta be extremely taxing on him and his family mentally, and at a certain point just flat out not worth it. Unless we’re talking Nick Saban money…in that case, different story.

1. Hurley loves rebuilding programs. He's said so many times.

2. He's not going to Florida.

It's sort of wild that a throwaway line in an article has generated this long a thread.

Reaction Score
  • From ESPN+
  • Tuesday, 6:36 a.m.: The big addition to the cycle in the last few days is Florida, which opened when Mike White departed for conference rival Georgia. White leaving wasn't entirely unexpected, but most industry sources pinpointed Ole Miss as a more likely landing spot. But now that the job is open, where do the Gators look? The first name that started buzzing as soon as the job opened was Dayton's Anthony Grant, a Miami native who spent a decade as an assistant coach at Florida under Billy Donovan. He's done well with the Flyers, even if they were the first team out of this season's NCAA tournament field. Grant also spent six years as a head coach in the SEC with Alabama (2019-15).
    It's still early for favorites to emerge, but a couple of other names that could be involved are UConn's Dan Hurley, Oklahoma State's Mike Boynton, BYU's Mark Pope and Murray State's Matt McMahon. Cleveland State's Dennis Gates seems unlikely due to his time at Florida State, while Ohio State's Chris Holtmann is unlikely to want to move to another football-first school.
Lol. Must be Hurley’s agent trying get a deal? He has two straight top 10 classes.

Reaction Score
If Danny returns UConn to elite borderline blue blood status, I think he’s a lifer. Maybe only the NBA threatens that.
Let’s hold on there.

Now. I do think UConn is his “dream job”, as in perfect fanbase, resources, access to talent and location.

But, I could see him going to a big ten school like Ohio State.

UConn will be fine, btw. Team is in a very strong position.

Reaction Score
1. Hurley loves rebuilding programs. He's said so many times.
Wish I could find the article but there was one where he talked about the reasons he took the UConn job and this was one of the major reasons. Don't know why anyone would say otherwise.

And I agree, one writer throws out his name but it means nothing. He's not going to Florida.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The functional words in that post are “for Hurley.” For Hurley, a Northeastern guy, who coaches basketball UConn is a better job.
Hm. Well Mick Cronin was born and raised in Cincinnati, coached there for like 15 years, couldn't get past the sweet 16, then went to UCLA and was in the Final Four in year 2.

And no, I'm not comparing Cinci to UConn, but this is my point:
I think the whole "you can't have the same recruiting success outside the region you grew up in" is overrated. Hurley is an A+ recruiter and the University of Florida is extremely appealing to any 17 year old. He'd kill it at Florida. Florida is oozing with athletic talent. And getting Northeast kids to come down to Florida isn't necessarily a difficult sell.

Again, this is a silly argument because I agree- based on what we know about Hurley and his values, it seems unlikely he would leave if he was even offered this job. This report is probably bogus anyway.
But in many ways, Florida is not a "step down" for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Not really. I think what people are saying is it’s not a good enough gig to leave, for Dan Hurley who is the northeast guy.
When Scheyer inevitably crashes and burns at Duke in the next 3-5 years if not sooner, that's the opening that we- and fans of a lot of other top programs- are going to have to worry about. But that's a headache for another day.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
When Scheyer inevitably crashes and burns at Duke in the next 3-5 years if not sooner, that's the opening that we- and fans of a lot of other top programs- are going to have to worry about. But that's a headache for another day.
Hurley's great, but Duke can shoot a little higher than that. Once they don't have to bow down to Coach K's handpicked selection, they're going to shoot for the stars. Somewhere in the Brad Stevens stratosphere.

I suppose Hurley could get there in 3-5 years.

Reaction Score
Hm. Well Mick Cronin was born and raised in Cincinnati, coached there for like 15 years, couldn't get past the sweet 16, then went to UCLA and was in the Final Four in year 2.

And no, I'm not comparing Cinci to UConn, but this is my point:
I think the whole "you can't have the same recruiting success outside the region you grew up in" is overrated. Hurley is an A+ recruiter and the University of Florida is extremely appealing to any 17 year old. He'd kill it at Florida. Florida is oozing with athletic talent. And getting Northeast kids to come down to Florida isn't necessarily a difficult sell.

Again, this is a silly argument because I agree- based on what we know about Hurley and his values, it seems unlikely he would leave if he was even offered this job. This report is probably bogus anyway.
But in many ways, Florida is not a "step down" for Hurley.
Florida is a hot bed of talent, as is the southeast in general. Sometimes I feel like this board just thinks all the good talent is in the northeast. Florida also has two titles that weren’t that long ago, so the idea its some crappy SEC basketball school is silly. Idk where Florida goes with their coach, but they’d be wise to at least someone who can get some of these Montverde and IMG kids to stick around, unreal how much talent flows through those programs any given year.

Reaction Score

Alright, I'll bite. Why can you see Hurley - a city kid from New Jersey who grew up 150 miles from Storrs and played in the Big East - going to a school in Columbus Ohio?

Reaction Score
Hurley's great, but Duke can shoot a little higher than that. Once they don't have to bow down to Coach K's handpicked selection, they're going to shoot for the stars. Somewhere in the Brad Stevens stratosphere.

I suppose Hurley could get there in 3-5 years.

Brad Stevens will be at Syracuse. Mark Few will be his associate head coach.

Reaction Score
Let’s hold on there.

Now. I do think UConn is his “dream job”, as in perfect fanbase, resources, access to talent and location.

UConn will be fine, btw. Team is in a very strong position.
McDermott turned down OSU. Hurley would do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc