Dan Hurley to Florida? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all due respect to the OP this thread should be closed. It’s just some clueless persons thoughts. It’s not even quoting “sources”.
And considering the Bristol source too....

Reaction Score
  • From ESPN+
  • Tuesday, 6:36 a.m.: The big addition to the cycle in the last few days is Florida, which opened when Mike White departed for conference rival Georgia. White leaving wasn't entirely unexpected, but most industry sources pinpointed Ole Miss as a more likely landing spot. But now that the job is open, where do the Gators look? The first name that started buzzing as soon as the job opened was Dayton's Anthony Grant, a Miami native who spent a decade as an assistant coach at Florida under Billy Donovan. He's done well with the Flyers, even if they were the first team out of this season's NCAA tournament field. Grant also spent six years as a head coach in the SEC with Alabama (2019-15).
    It's still early for favorites to emerge, but a couple of other names that could be involved are UConn's Dan Hurley, Oklahoma State's Mike Boynton, BYU's Mark Pope and Murray State's Matt McMahon. Cleveland State's Dennis Gates seems unlikely due to his time at Florida State, while Ohio State's Chris Holtmann is unlikely to want to move to another football-first school.
We need to make some noise in the tourney in order for Danny to good offers from any top level schools. I think he is making over 3 million a year from uconn.

Reaction Score
And to add to that, he has goals that he has for himself and his UConn program that he hasn’t come close to meeting yet. So, zero chance. As for leverage in contract negotiations, his first ask will always be for program enhancements (like an increased salary pool for assistants) when it comes time for things like that.
Hurley doesn't strike me as the guy who cares about making $5M if he's already makin $3M, especially if it means taking a huge hit on job security and leaving his entire northeast roots. Money isn't everything, people.

If a company offered to quadruple my salary to leave Boston for some southern city, I'd say no. I'm not leaving my life behind to chase a paycheck

Reaction Score
UConn is a better basketball job than Florida, and his recruiting ties are in the Northeast.
And there's no reason to think he wants to leave the Northeast. And he will probably expect more job security here than in Florida.

Is there some insane amount of money that would make him consider it? Sure. Any sane person has a price to switch jobs. But I would expect it would take an insane amount of money that would be overpaying for what he has accomplished to date in his career.

Reaction Score
Remember when we were worried the Lakers were going to steal KO? Things work themselves out. Don't think (and don't want) DH going anywhere but UConn will survive regardless.
Sanity on the Boneyard….who woulda thunk it??

Reaction Score
I can't find the exact number, but with his extension last year, his buyout is in the 4-5 million range I believe.

Reaction Score
Dan is on record many times saying it was hard for him to leave URI, and that he wouldn't have done it unless the perfect situation came up.

He's not a guy who will jump ship quickly to get a leg up. He's a fighter and he's loyal. And he loves the Big East. DH is at UConn for the long haul.

That said, I'm sure his agent is pulling some strings to get DH some more money.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ncaa Basketball Sport GIF by BIG EAST Conference

Reaction Score
I can't find the exact number, but with his extension last year, his buyout is in the 4-5 million range I believe.
It decreases every year under current deal. Believe it is $2.5 million for this year. Think it is a mill next year.

Hopefully we make a nice run this March, Hurley gets an uptick in pay, bigger budget for staff, and buyout significantly increases.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
JC himself said he was a hair away from going to South Carolina around 97
JC definitely liked to golf on Hilton Head. But Dan? I just can't see it. Florida is too relaxed for him. Then again, Billy Donovan was a NYC area PG from a Catholic HS who played at Big East school back in the day. So it's not like there is no precedent.

Reaction Score
JC himself said he was a hair away from going to South Carolina around 97
that's right. I remember Dave Odom ended up there at one point. Was Dave second choice?

Speaking on SCarolina, I think they just fired Frank Martin.

Reaction Score
Hurley going to recruit a bunch of northeast guys to Florida? Not a chance.
Let me preface this by saying I don't think Hurley is going anywhere, but lets not act like getting northeast guys to Florida is impossible. Scottie Lewis was arguably the top prospect out of the northeast over the last few years (from NJ) and he committed to Mike White and Florida.

Reaction Score
No, I know Hurley isn't going anywhere. This is some guy throwing out names of coaches he personally likes.

If you think Hurley would even think about leaving for some decent P5 program you're lost.
You know him and his situation well enough to say he wouldn't even listen?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think this is very insane....but hypothetically if Hurley left, whats our plan? Do we just promote Kimani Young? Just bored before the tournament starts really
I’d think so, I think the school would rather not pay any buyout money for a new coach, even if someone like Becker has a small buyout.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
DH is a good coach. His name is going to come up for coaching jobs every year. He said he came to UConn to win Nattys. I trust him at his word. I always go back to how he treated the players when he was hired. A lot of folks wanted him to retool the roster but he stuck with the kids he inherited. He's a loyal guy. I know a lot of coaches have said there not going anywhere and take a new job the next day. I just don't think Hurley is wired that way.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a very Northeast Guy
It would have to be a huge.
Then again Billy Donavan was as Norteast as they get. and he did pretty well.
When it was on the table Billy talked to his mentor,Petino who really didn’t think that it was such a great job. being a big Football School . When you think of it Rick gravitated to schools where basketball was either num. 1 UK, PC or close to football Louisville.
However Fla made Donavan an offer he couldn’t ‘t turn down. If they offer double your UConn salary what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom