Dammit, it's gonna get worse... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dammit, it's gonna get worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
with out knowing all the facts it's impossible to say whether the police, or DA failed, but the fact that he had resigned in 1998 leads me to believe enough powerful people knew about what happened that i hope a lot of heads roll as a result of this. how can the DA not prosecute when supposedly Sandusky admitted everything to the kid's parents and begged forgiveness?

Reaction Score
True but remember McQueary witnessed this in 2002, the police already investigated Sandusky in 1998 and covered it up. What if McQueary received a threatening phone call? McQueary deserves a chance to explain his actions.

I don't buy your premise at all. But even if I did, he should have gotten as far away from PSU as possible. There ARE other places to work. He did NOT do the right thing.

Reaction Score
I don't buy your premise at all. But even if I did, he should have gotten as far away from PSU as possible. There ARE other places to work. He did NOT do the right thing.

You don't buy the premise that McQueary deserves a chance to explain himself?

People are absolving the police who had a confession because they moved it up the food chain and the (dead) DA dropped the ball but McQueary moved it up the food chain and he is a bad guy. The police should have kept investigating if they felt the DA made a mistake. Who was the chief of police in 1998? That guy has some explaining to do.

McQueary smells like a scapegoat to me. He testified that he told Paterno exactly what he saw not a sanitized version. The sanitized version story is coming from Paterno's camp. The Paterno camp has no credibility.

I'm not saying McQueary did everything right, i'm just saying I think people are giving him too much blame and he deserves a chance to tell his story. We'll never hear the police story because that will be covered up. They are going to blame the dead DA (so convenient) and wash their hands of it. I call Stop.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
They are going to blame the dead DA (so convenient) and wash their hands of it. I call Stop.

With the way this story is going and how unbelievable it is, I am almost expecting to either have the dead DA show up in person as he comes out of hidding or find out that he was murdered and was burried under the Joe Paterno statue at the stadium. With the way this story has been progressing....those are about the only two stories that might surprise me at this point.

Reaction Score

People are absolving the police who had a confession because they moved it up the food chain and the (dead) DA dropped the ball but McQueary moved it up the food chain and he is a bad guy. The police should have kept investigating if they felt the DA made a mistake. Who was the chief of police in 1998? That guy has some explaining to do.

McQueary smells like a scapegoat to me. He testified that he told Paterno exactly what he saw not a sanitized version. The sanitized version story is coming from Paterno's camp. The Paterno camp has no credibility.

I'm not saying McQueary did everything right, i'm just saying I think people are giving him too much blame and he deserves a chance to tell his story. We'll never hear the police story because that will be covered up. They are going to blame the dead DA (so convenient) and wash their hands of it. I call Stop.

Yeah, McQuery really sounds like a scape goat, is a 28 year old, 230 lb, 6'5" guy who sees a person he recognizes as his neighbor and fathers friend - Sandusky, butt ducking a 10 year old: reaction - run and call daddy. Fast forward 9 years. Kid, no one knows who he is or what happened to him; McQuery has a nice job as full time coach at PSU and has attended fund raisers with Sandusky - that's the scape goat? Don't care related to McQueary the younger if others dropped the ball, this initial fumble was all on him re "confront and stop, not cut and run". He ain't no scapegoat, he is joint and severly responsible with all the other enablers.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I expect Sandusky will commit suicide.

No doubt. He knows what his fate will be in prison. He will wait until right before the trial starts and then will commit suicide. The only question is will he 'turn' and give the details of all of his crimes and who was involved with the molestation and cover-up, or will he take that information to his grave. But I agree...this ends up with Sandusky taking his own life.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
with out knowing all the facts it's impossible to say whether the police, or DA failed, but the fact that he had resigned in 1998 leads me to believe enough powerful people knew about what happened that i hope a lot of heads roll as a result of this. how can the DA not prosecute when supposedly Sandusky admitted everything to the kid's parents and begged forgiveness?
I agree. If everyone is arguing Peterno and McQueary should have done more than the Pennsylvania justice system's failure would have to be considered the bigger failure. A grad assistant and a head coach are not trained regarding Sandusky. The justice system specializes in these matters. The cover up did not just take place on the campus. It had to take place in the investigative arenas.

Reaction Score
Yeah, McQuery really sounds like a scape goat, is a 28 year old, 230 lb, 6'5" guy who sees a person he recognizes as his neighbor and fathers friend - Sandusky, butt ducking a 10 year old: reaction - run and call daddy. Fast forward 9 years. Kid, no one knows who he is or what happened to him; McQuery has a nice job as full time coach at PSU and has attended fund raisers with Sandusky - that's the scape goat? Don't care related to McQueary the younger if others dropped the ball, this initial fumble was all on him re "confront and stop, not cut and run". He ain't no scapegoat, he is joint and severly responsible with all the other enablers.

You left out the part about him telling Paterno. Pretty big omission on your part. And the police knew in 1998, are you angry with them?

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I agree. It's easy to go after the faces we're familiar with so I expected the uproar to surround Paterno and McQueary. And they are certainly not blameless. But these guys are not trained in handling these matters. The legal system in 98 is the bigger failure and story imo. Someone influenced the handling of those matters and I doubt it was Paterno. He does not have the resume for that type of operation. I suspect some major booster or Trustee is behind the real activity in all these matters. The media and the public are focusing on the small fish.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer, but isn't there a law about taking minors across state lines for illegal activities? if the info in the below article is true, how many laws did Sandusky break? Sandusky is sick, sick, sick - I hope he gets locked up for a hundred years.

For the record, I object to the word "tryst" in the article title. If the account is true, it was a rape, not a tryst.

A town in Texas is looking into bringing its own charges against Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach charged with sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years on and around the Penn State campus.

San Antonio police confirmed they are investigating the "possibility that an offense may have happened" while the Penn State team was in Texas for the Alamo Bowl in 1999.

Penn State sex scandal spreads to Texas for alleged Alamo Bowl tryst

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Further down the rabbit hole we go...

Reaction Score
I've heard that Sandusky faces up to 460 years in the clink. If found guilty, I hope he gets sentenced to every single one of those 460.

And no parole after 300 years either.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer, but isn't there a law about taking minors across state lines for illegal activities? if the info in the below article is true, how many laws did Sandusky break? Sandusky is sick, sick, sick - I hope he gets locked up for a hundred years.

For the record, I object to the word "tryst" in the article title. If the account is true, it was a rape, not a tryst.

A town in Texas is looking into bringing its own charges against Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach charged with sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years on and around the Penn State campus.

San Antonio police confirmed they are investigating the "possibility that an offense may have happened" while the Penn State team was in Texas for the Alamo Bowl in 1999.

Penn State sex scandal spreads to Texas for alleged Alamo Bowl tryst

Nan, excellent question. I did a quick search and there is a provision in the federal Mann Act, specifically US Code 18 USC 2423(a), which makes it a federal crime to transport an individual under the age of 18 "with intent that the individual engage in prostitution, or in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 10 years or for life."

There may be other federal laws implicated. I've heard RICO mentioned, but that would arise if evidence indicates a conspiracy to cover up crimes.

The significance of federal involvement -- which you rightly mention in the context of the trip to Texas for the bowl game -- is not the potential penalty, but rather to bring the investigative powers and personnel of the US Dept of Justice to the investigation of Sandusky. It'll be interesting to see whether the DOJ gets involved or leaves it to the state(s).

Reaction Score
I've heard that Sandusky faces up to 460 years in the clink. If found guilty, I hope he gets sentenced to every single one of those 460.

And no parole after 300 years either.

I hope victims come forward, because I read a lawyer's reaction to the grand jury report in a Pa newspaper and he said that several of the counts won't stick. 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2007 specifically. There's no victim for 2002, 1998 was dropped by the DA for lack of evidence, 200 the janitor is in an advanced state of dementia and can't remember, and 2007 is not pinned down yet either. Maybe the other 4 cases will, but the DA needs more.

Reaction Score
You left out the part about him telling Paterno. Pretty big omission on your part. And the police knew in 1998, are you angry with them?

Ok, for you, after he runs and calls daddy, he:
does not call police, or go back to see if boy alive, or does not go to Sandusky house to see if boy ok; but he does take his daddy (a best friend and buddy of Sandusky) to see JoePa the next day and give him some version of what he saw. Told by JoePa that he would bring it forward, believe MM eventually got to give his story (not sure how he portrayed it) to the higher ups. MM stopped there. Next 9 years was well taken care of by PSU football, had contact and fundraising events with Sandusky and saw 1st hand that no criminal action was being taken against Sandusky - and did nothing. Did I cover his actions enough for you going forward 2002 to today?

Don't act like this is a zero sum game, if you are too angry (your word not mine) at MM you can't be "angry" at others like the police? I'll make it very clear for you, I'm "angry" at every freakn' lame who could have stepped in and helped stopped this anywhere during the last however many years its gone on. I don't care if its MM, his ol' man a Sandusky buddy, Sandusky's wife, Sandusky's adopted boys, the campus keystone cops, the real police, DA, PSU empolyees, 2nd mile people, coaches, coaches wives, players, residents of Happey Valley, corporate executives, hotel employees, donors - you name 'em and if they could/should have stepped up and helped stopped this I'm "angry" with them.

Reaction Score
Just to add to the weirdness, Jerry Sandusky was a commencement speaker in 2007. This is starting to look more and more like the Catholic Church scandals.
http://live.psu.edu/story/24106

-- 3 p.m.: The College of Health and Human Development commencement ceremony in the Bryce Jordan Center. Jerry Sandusky, founder of The Second Mile, will speak.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Nan, excellent question. I did a quick search and there is a provision in the federal Mann Act, specifically US Code 18 USC 2423(a), which makes it a federal crime to transport an individual under the age of 18 "with intent that the individual engage in prostitution, or in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 10 years or for life."

There may be other federal laws implicated. I've heard RICO mentioned, but that would arise if evidence indicates a conspiracy to cover up crimes.

The significance of federal involvement -- which you rightly mention in the context of the trip to Texas for the bowl game -- is not the potential penalty, but rather to bring the investigative powers and personnel of the US Dept of Justice to the investigation of Sandusky. It'll be interesting to see whether the DOJ gets involved or leaves it to the state(s).
I hope the DOJ gets involved because I think there are too many Pennsylvania ducks in the water to ensure a thorough or credible investigation. Or conversely, maybe they will be thorough, but skeptics like myself will question it. So if they are innocent they should welcome a DOJ investigation.

Reaction Score
I hope the DOJ gets involved because I think there are too many Pennsylvania ducks in the water to ensure a thorough or credible investigation. Or conversely, maybe they will be thorough, but skeptics like myself will question it. So if they are innocent they should welcome a DOJ investigation.

I'm kind of inclined to agree.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I understand why you might think this way but I'm very confident that the investigation by the PA state police and the AG's office will be extremely thorough and credible. I worked for the PA Atty Gen back in the 80's (non-criminal) and I was extremely impressed with the AG's and State Police's press conference on Monday. The current Governor of PA, Corbett, was the Atty General when the Sandusky investigation was initiated in 2008 and thus has a vested interest in how this investigation and prosecution turns out. As mentioned in another post, Corbett reportedly was a strong influence in the BOT's decision to fire Paterno. As Corbett said the other day, the entire nation is watching. That's not to say that the DOJ won't initiate its own investigation and/or work with the state team. We'll have to wait and see. But I think the state investigators are motivated to do an outstanding job.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I understand why you might think this way but I'm very confident that the investigation by the PA state police and the AG's office will be extremely thorough and credible. I worked for the PA Atty Gen back in the 80's (non-criminal) and I was extremely impressed with the AG's and State Police's press conference on Monday. The current Governor of PA, Corbett, was the Atty General when the Sandusky investigation was initiated in 2008 and thus has a vested interest in how this investigation and prosecution turns out. As mentioned in another post, Corbett reportedly was a strong influence in the BOT's decision to fire Paterno. As Corbett said the other day, the entire nation is watching. That's not to say that the DOJ won't initiate its own investigation and/or work with the state team. We'll have to wait and see. But I think the state investigators are motivated to do an outstanding job.
I have no first hand knowledge to disagree with you. I can only speak in general terms. The problem may not be with people you know. It may be with people who can influence people you know who have vested interests with PSU.

The tale coming out of Penn State is that everyone was familiar with one another. It's hard to act objectively and do things critically when people have relationships with one another.

People related to PSU, will put a lot of pressure on the various investigative branches to make this matter go away or keep as much of the events from being revealed. If they can't influence them from a place of established relationships then they will use other methods. Most of us have some skeletons in the closet and those skeletons are more likely to be uncovered by people who know other people.

So expect a lot of threats to come towards the investigators which will compromise the investigation. I feel the DOJ will also receive heat. But the degree of influence will be considerably less, because of their separation from the parties involved.

Reaction Score

The investigation was handed off to the AG in 2005. Not 2008. They initiated the 2008 investigation AFTER victim #1 came forward about a 2008 incident. There is some exposure here for the governor for those who wonder what his office did with the case in those 3 years. As well, Corbett and PSU (including Spanier) have been in full-scale battle over the last year over finances. There're questions here about the evolution of this investigation, Grticar's disappearance, the way Madeira handed the case off to Corbett, Corbett's political enemies, and most importantly, what's been done about the case when it was in Corbett's hands.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just to add to the weirdness, Jerry Sandusky was a commencement speaker in 2007. This is starting to look more and more like the Catholic Church scandals.
http://live.psu.edu/story/24106

-- 3 p.m.: The College of Health and Human Development commencement ceremony in the Bryce Jordan Center. Jerry Sandusky, founder of The Second Mile, will speak.

Incredible. What a phony this Joe Pa is turning out to be. He repremands players for wearing a hat indoors yet coaches can ass rape young boys and still give a commencement address.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The investigation was handed off to the AG in 2005. Not 2008. They initiated the 2008 investigation AFTER victim #1 came forward about a 2008 incident. There is some exposure here for the governor for those who wonder what his office did with the case in those 3 years. As well, Corbett and PSU (including Spanier) have been in full-scale battle over the last year over finances. There're questions here about the evolution of this investigation, Grticar's disappearance, the way Madeira handed the case off to Corbett, Corbett's political enemies, and most importantly, what's been done about the case when it was in Corbett's hands.

What was being investigated in 2005? By then Gricar had already decided not to prosecute the allegations concerning Victim 6 and he disappeared. The allegations concerning Victim 1 occurred in 2008 and were handed over by Madiera to the AG's office in 2009 (I mistakenly said 2008 above). Corbett was elected Gov in 2010 and took office Jan 2011. I must have missed something but I'm not sure what was being investigated in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom