Dammit, it's gonna get worse... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dammit, it's gonna get worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think people are placing too much blame on McQueary. To make a corporate comparison he was a mail room guy who reported wrong doing of a senior executive to the CEO and the CEO chose to do nothing. Is it the mail room guys fault that the organization is now destroyed?
Except, he witnessed probably the most hideous crime imaginable short of murder, maybe even including a cold blooded murder, because the victims here were probably victimized over and over again. Who knows if some of his victims have gone on to drugs or killing themselves over what they have experienced. McQueary was 28 years old. There should have been no calling daddy, and no agreeing to tell Paterno what he saw. An immediate call to police would have ended the torment years earlier.

In regards to Paterno, it is hard for me to fathom that he would allow this to continue to happen. As it is now being reported that Paterno didn't even address Sandusky regarding what McQuary allegedly saw, I could only believe that people at PSU knew about this before then, probably even predating the 1998 incident. I can't believe that preserving the reputation of the school and the program was the motivation for keeping it quiet. These are educated, smart people. They had to have known this would have come out someday, and the longer it went on the worse it would be for the university. Let alone the fact that morally you had a serial rapist of young boys on your campus, using your facilities to commit these acts and no one thought to put a stop to this? Sandusky was ON CAMPUS last week? This makes zero sense to me.

Reaction Score
Except, he witnessed probably the most hideous crime imaginable short of murder, maybe even including a cold blooded murder, because the victims here were probably victimized over and over again. Who knows if some of his victims have gone on to drugs or killing themselves over what they have experienced. McQueary was 28 years old. There should have been no calling daddy, and no agreeing to tell Paterno what he saw. An immediate call to police would have ended the torment years earlier.

In regards to Paterno, it is hard for me to fathom that he would allow this to continue to happen. As it is now being reported that Paterno didn't even address Sandusky regarding what McQuary allegedly saw, I could only believe that people at PSU knew about this before then, probably even predating the 1998 incident. I can't believe that preserving the reputation of the school and the program was the motivation for keeping it quiet. These are educated, smart people. They had to have known this would have come out someday, and the longer it went on the worse it would be for the university. Let alone the fact that morally you had a serial rapist of young boys on your campus, using your facilities to commit these acts and no one thought to put a stop to this? Sandusky was ON CAMPUS last week? This makes zero sense to me.

True but remember McQueary witnessed this in 2002, the police already investigated Sandusky in 1998 and covered it up. What if McQueary received a threatening phone call? McQueary deserves a chance to explain his actions.

Reaction Score
I think people are placing too much blame on McQueary. To make a corporate comparison he was a mail room guy who reported criminal wrong doing of a senior executive to the CEO and the CEO chose to do nothing. Is it the mail room guys fault that the organization is now destroyed?

McQueary deserves a chance to explain his actions and i'm sure he will get it.

the bottom line is McQueary walked in on a rape and didn't stop it, or report it to the police. what else is there to explain? he said he walked in on Sandusky raping a 10 year old. his first action should have been to protect that 10 year old by kicking the old man's ass around the locker room before calling the police. instead he witness a rape and did nothing to stop it when he very easily could have.

i'm more inclined to give JoePa a pass because we don't know exactly what he knew yet. if all he heard was a rumor and it was investigated and found to have no merit, he did nothing wrong. McQueary witnessed it so there's no question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the bottom line is McQueary walked in on a rape and didn't stop it, or report it to the police. what else is there to explain? he said he thought he walked in on Sandusky raping a 10 year old. his first action should have been to protect that 10 year old by kicking the old man's ass around the locker room before calling the police. instead he witness a rape and did nothing to stop it when he very easily could have.
Agree.

Reaction Score
The police new about Sandusky in 1998. There is a dead District Attorney. We know very little at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the 1998 police investigation did or did not reveal, but it seems that they didn't have enough information to proscecute, or at least didn't pursue it. NOne the less Sanduky was asked to leave. So far that seems to make sense. Who knows what went on behind the scenes...or who had suspicisions...but after the 2002 incident, someone should have done something, in particular McQueary, since he had the most direct knowledge. To me,though, Joe had an obligation to go well beyond notifying the AD...at a minimum, he should have advised McQueary to contact the police, since agian, McQueary was the one who had the direct knowledge of the crime. One might also ask what the hell McQueary's old man was thinking...I can imagine my own father if I came to him with that story...he'd be driving me to the police station, calling 911 on the way...I'd like to think I'd do the same.

Reaction Score
Two police officers heard Sandusky confess! Law enforcement chose not to prosecute Sandusky. Law enforcement failed. Why? We don't know yet. The FBI needs to get involved in this case because police usually don't police themselves.

Reaction Score
I don't buy Mr. Paterno thought it was just fondling....whatever "just" fondling means.

Here's the scenario: A grad assistant, and former quarterback, shows up at the house of the most influential man in town (if not the state) and says something to the effect of: "Coach, I saw your good friend and right-hand man of 3 plus decades in the shower fondling a little boy." And Paterno doesn't ask, "What exactly did you see? What is so shocking that you and your father are here on a Saturday Morning to tell me in person?".....he never asks for details?? Or you have to believe he asked and a grad assistant sitting in the living room of an icon (who happens to be his boss) refused to offer any details or answer the question. BULL CHIPS!!!

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There are rumors out there now that not only was the 2nd Mile Charity being used as a 'child molestation pimp shop' for rich donors, but there are reports that are surfacing that there may be evidence that 2nd mile was funneling money back into the Penn St football program. If true, it would explain why Penn St would allow the charity to remain involved with the program after multiple incidents with Sandusky. Wow!

If true, this is about to completely blow up! If true, Penn St may have to completely shut down the football program at least temporarily.

Reaction Score
You keep changing the level of generalization in your comments and responses.

"We know what JoePa knew. He thought it was fondling..." Huh! You know what JoePa "said", you don't know what he "knew". Kind of like a famous man once said "I never had sex with that woman ..."

All the coaches would have left if they had "known" yet when the one who "absolutely knew" didn't leave for 9 years and was promoted it was because "As for MM leaving, for where? He's not exactly a mover and shaker". The one guy I would be absolutely (and wrongly) sure would leave no later than 2009 is MM, given his "inklings". Even the Pres of the University, given his written response yesterday supporting AD and VP Finance thought he would get through this; my view is so did the head coach in waiting prior to last Friday (i.e., no matter what he knew or had inkling about he thought since he kept his pants up and did not admit to actually seeing any criminal sodomy acts, that he was ok and would be next head coach at PSU).

Since I looked up child molester for another post, it also defined pedophile. Some criminal law site. It noted (more or less) that pedophiles "may or may not" also be child molesters and child molesters may or may not be pedophiles. Not sure what the PSU posters meant calling him a pedophile, did they mean child molester, the more specific type of child molester that commits sodomy on ten year old boys, or what? If that was the case in 2007, boy this was so common knowledge that I'm not inclined to be giving MANY PEOPLE IN HAPPY VALLEY a pass on this. I would use a WW II comparison about a COUNTRY of people who "didn't want to know" but even this isn't bad enough to compare to that.

Huh. Interesting.

Reaction Score
Two police officers heard Sandusky confess! Law enforcement chose not to prosecute Sandusky. Law enforcement failed. Why? We don't know yet. The FBI needs to get involved in this case because police usually don't police themselves.
I don't know what the 1998 police investigation did or did not reveal, but it seems that they didn't have enough information to proscecute, or at least didn't pursue it. NOne the less Sanduky was asked to leave. So far that seems to make sense. Who knows what went on behind the scenes...or who had suspicisions...but after the 2002 incident, someone should have done something, in particular McQueary, since he had the most direct knowledge. To me,though, Joe had an obligation to go well beyond notifying the AD...at a minimum, he should have advised McQueary to contact the police, since agian, McQueary was the one who had the direct knowledge of the crime. One might also ask what the hell McQueary's old man was thinking...I can imagine my own father if I came to him with that story...he'd be driving me to the police station, calling 911 on the way...I'd like to think I'd do the same.

His son was 28. It was his son's responsibility. But he went to the father for obvious reasons. The family is friends and neighbors with the Sandusky's, and McQueary went to school -- and was friends with -- Sandusky's children. You have to remember. These people have known one another for over 40 years in a small town.

Reaction Score

Not addressing Sandusky in 2002 is a smart move, if you expect it is going to be reported to police. The question is why Paterno never followed up as to whether it was.

Reaction Score
the bottom line is McQueary walked in on a rape and didn't stop it, or report it to the police. what else is there to explain? he said he walked in on Sandusky raping a 10 year old. his first action should have been to protect that 10 year old by kicking the old man's ass around the locker room before calling the police. instead he witness a rape and did nothing to stop it when he very easily could have.

i'm more inclined to give JoePa a pass because we don't know exactly what he knew yet. if all he heard was a rumor and it was investigated and found to have no merit, he did nothing wrong. McQueary witnessed it so there's no question.
I'm not justifying McQueary for not stopping it immediately but think about what he had to consider, he's a 23 or 24 year old graduate assistant who played under Sandusky and knew him as a very powerful and influential guy in the PSU football hierarchy, he also does not hear any screams for help from the boy, all he hears is rythmic slapping sounds coming from the shower so he peeks in to see what it is. I mean what if he breaks it up and the boy denies in Paterno's office that it ever happened? For all he knows Sandusky could coerce the boy into clamming up or even worse, Sandusky paid the boy. I mean who knows. Yes a crime was committed but the fact is the boy or his parents never came forward, what does that suggest? If McQueary stops it, it's possible his budding coaching career at PSU and maybe anywhere could be over. I still think he should be fired for not stopping it but I can see why he didnot stop it and instead chose to tell JOPA about it after the fact.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not justifying McQueary for not stopping it immediately but think about what he had to consider, he's a 23 or 24 year old graduate assistant who played under Sandusky and knew him as a very powerful and influential guy in the PSU football hierarchy, he also does not hear any screams for help from the boy, all he hears is rythmic slapping sounds coming from the shower so he peeks in to see what it is. I mean what if he breaks it up and the boy denies in Paterno's office that it ever happened? For all he knows Sandusky could coerce the boy into clamming up or even worse, Sandusky paid the boy. I mean who knows. Yes a crime was committed but the fact is the boy or his parents never came forward, what does that suggest? If McQueary stops it, it's possible his budding coaching career at PSU and maybe anywhere could be over. I still think he should be fired for not stopping it but I can see why he didnot stop it and instead chose to tell JOPA about it after the fact.

It's called doing the right thing. Turning a blind eye to a 10 year old kid getting corn holed is a crock of shhiittt under any conditons. Riddle me this, who is gonna hire McCreary now?

As my signature line on my work email says, "There's never a wrong time to do the right thing or the right time to do the wrong thing".

Joe Pa deserves to be fired for not reporting it to the police and not following up on a pedophile continuing to have access to children.

McCreary deserves to go to jail. He physically was there and saw what was happening and chose to be a weak coward. No mercy for him on this planet.

Reaction Score
Not addressing Sandusky in 2002 is a smart move, if you expect it is going to be reported to police. The question is why Paterno never followed up as to whether it was.

Pennstater,

Why would not addressing it ever be considered a smart move? I guess if you're interested in covering up the cover up it is. But are you really apologizing for this?

Reaction Score
It's called doing the right thing. Turning a blind eye to a 10 year old kid getting corn holed is a crock of shhiittt under any conditons. Riddle me this, who is gonna hire McCreary now?

As my signature line on my work email says, "There's never a wrong time to do the right thing or the right time to do the wrong thing".

Joe Pa deserves to be fired for not reporting it to the police and not following up on a pedophile continuing to have access to children.

McCreary deserves to go to jail. He physically was there and saw what was happening and chose to be a weak coward. No mercy for him on this planet.
I hear ya and you're right, just saying I can see why he acted the way he did and obviously cared more about what's best for McQueary than what was best for the boy when he saw what he saw.

Reaction Score
I think people are placing too much blame on McQueary. To make a corporate comparison he was a mail room guy who reported criminal wrong doing of a senior executive to the CEO and the CEO chose to do nothing. Is it the mail room guys fault that the organization is now destroyed?

Criminal wrong doing???? This isn't stealing paper clips or surfing the internet during work hours!

A 10 year old boy looked at McQueary and thought "FINALLY THIS IS OVER"!!! ... little did he know McQueary wasn't exactly a mover and a shaker.

Somebody please post the timeline of McQueary's promotions and raises, and correlate that to the events he witnessed. Looks like Paterno had a reason to keep him at Penn State for as long as he did, becuase everyone knows ... he's not exactly a mover and a shaker ...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Bad analogy. If you said he was a mail room clerk and saw a senior executive sexually assaulting a 10 year old you'd be more on the mark.

McCreary chose to walk away from a helpless child being sexually assaulted and his only action was to report a watered down, sanitized version to his coach.

May he be sentenced to cleaning the showers in prison.

Reaction Score
I'm not justifying McQueary for not stopping it immediately but think about what he had to consider, he's a 23 or 24 year old graduate assistant who played under Sandusky and knew him as a very powerful and influential guy in the PSU football hierarchy, he also does not hear any screams for help from the boy, all he hears is rythmic slapping sounds coming from the shower so he peeks in to see what it is. I mean what if he breaks it up and the boy denies in Paterno's office that it ever happened? For all he knows Sandusky could coerce the boy into clamming up or even worse, Sandusky paid the boy. I mean who knows. If McQueary stops it, it's possible his budding coaching career at PSU and maybe anywhere could be over. I still think he should be fired for not stopping it but I can see why he didnot stop it and instead chose to tell JOPA about it after the fact.

He is a 28 year old graduate assistant. No longer a coach in 2002. Boy, this GA does a lot of thinking in the split seconds it takes to recognize what is going on, let's see a. worries that maybe kid will lie (not sure why it is worse if Sandusky paid the boy); b. stopoping will harm his coaching career; c. whatever else you can come up with. I don't for a nano second see why he didn't stop it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A final though on this.

I heard a comment on talk radio yesterday on the way home from work that is probably true.

Very seldomly can serial pedophiles act alone. They are usually part of a larger network of pedophiles across many occupational domains. Which means there's more layers to this onion yet to get peeled.

Reaction Score
He is a 28 year old graduate assistant. No longer a coach in 2002. Boy, this GA does a lot of thinking in the split seconds it takes to recognize what is going on, let's see a. worries that maybe kid will lie (not sure why it is worse if Sandusky paid the boy); b. stopoping will harm his coaching career; c. whatever else you can come up with. I don't for a nano second see why he didn't stop it.

Why? Maybe simple and cowardly greed, at the time he was more concerned what was best for McQueary rather than what was best for the boy.

Reaction Score
A final though on this.

I heard a comment on talk radio yesterday on the way home from work that is probably true.

Very seldomly can serial pedophiles act alone. They are usually part of a larger network of pedophiles across many occupational domains. Which means there's more layers to this onion yet to get peeled.

Didn't hear this, but as have been considering all this, it's where I keep ending up.

Reaction Score
Pennstater,

Why would not addressing it ever be considered a smart move? I guess if you're interested in covering up the cover up it is. But are you really apologizing for this?

I'm saying you go to police. You don't mess with a crime or possible investigation. What if he had tipped off Sandusky and allowed Sandusky to cover his tracks?

You guys are over the top today, I have to say.

Reaction Score
Bad analogy. If you said he was a mail room clerk and saw a senior executive sexually assaulting a 10 year old you'd be more on the mark.

McCreary chose to walk away from a helpless child being sexually assaulted and his only action was to report a watered down, sanitized version to his coach

You don't know he gave a sanitized version to his coach. Paterno testified that he received a sanitized version, Paterno might be lying, why would anyone believe Paterno at this point? He is probably being conveniently forgetful. McCreary testified he reported what he saw.

If MCreary belongs in jail so do the police officers who knew in 1998. How come nobody is calling for an investigation into the campus police department? The police department covered this up. They had a confession.

Reaction Score
You don't know he gave a sanitized version to his coach. Paterno testified that he received a sanitized version, Paterno might be lying, why would anyone believe Paterno at this point? He is probably being conveniently forgetful. McCreary testified he reported what he saw.

If MCreary belongs in jail so do the police officers who knew in 1998. How come nobody is calling for an investigation into the campus police department? The police department covered this up. They had a confession.
police department did their job, they investigated and issued a 30 page report to the da. the da decided not to prosecute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom