Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Eriksen in 2021

When this happened, they suspended play for an hour and half and continued.

Ericksen was awake when he left the field and they restarted the game after getting the news Ericksen was ok. A little different.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So the football shoulder pads should have been able to absorb enough force to prevent it from happening. I wonder if they shifted during gameplay and were not on correctly when he was hit. Or maybe this was just really, really bad luck.

Do defensive backs wear different kinds of shoulder pads than other positions?
The fact that there are so few cases leads me to believe that the pads generally are protective enough but I would expect that this will be studied at length.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The fact that there are so few cases leads me to believe that the pads generally are protective enough but I would expect that this will be studied at length.
No idea if studies have been made specifcally on shoulder pads, but catcher's chest protectors have been looked at due to baseball being a leading cause and were found to be of no real help. So possibly shoulder pads don't help.

Reaction Score

Instead of thoughts and prayers, here's the link to Damar Hamlin's toy drive for kids.
1672746961850.jpeg

Reaction Score
There are definitely studies of all sorts related to pads going on. I've heard former Ravens coach Brian Billick on the radio a few times discussing the company he is involved with. I'm not saying it is specific to this issue as a cardiac arrest can be triggered by all sorts of things, but there is a lot of work being done in the field of protective gear right now.

Reaction Score
i was just talking about this when i saw the helmet/helmet usc/tulane no call. brutal
That was a much worse looking hit than this one too in my opinion. Crazy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No idea if studies have been made specifcally on shoulder pads, but catcher's chest protectors have been looked at due to baseball being a leading cause and were found to be of no real help. So possibly shoulder pads don't help.
People jumping to conclusions that that’s what it was. That same report said it’s unheard of in anyone over 20, and even rarer than the 20 cases a year in people over 15. Going to have to wait, but it’s likely that the shoulder pads are irrelevant since hits like that are pretty ordinary.

Good news his vitals are stable. Now we hope for a full recovery.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
People jumping to conclusions that that’s what it was. That same report said it’s unheard of in anyone over 20, and even rarer than the 20 cases a year in people over 15. Going to have to wait, but it’s likely that the shoulder pads are irrelevant since hits like that are pretty ordinary.

Good news his vitals are stable. Now we hope for a full recovery.
We know he went into cardiac arrest following a chest blow. I think it’s safe to assume.

Reaction Score
The hypocrisy of all the pundits is nauseating. How many times have I heard "Wow what a hit".....well there you go. Kind of surprising to me is that this doesn't happen more often.

Reaction Score
Great job by the medical professionals. They saved his life on the field, hopefully they did it quickly enough where he didn't lose too much oxygen to his brain. Every second/minute counts.

Reaction Score
My friend shared something about getting a hit to the chest directly over the heart at a critical point during the heart beat

That's the way my son explained it to me - getting hit in the exact right spot between the lub and the dub of the heartbeat with the right force can stop the heart. This happens more frequently with kids getting hit with baseballs and lacrosse balls (from what his fellow trainers have told him). Bad luck mostly - let's hope he is ok.

Reaction Score
They had a doc on from UPenn (I think) this morning on the KJM show on ESPN. He did a really good job explaining how they will be treating Hamlin. Unfortunately he said that they may not know anything for 2-3 or more days as they get the body and brain to recover. Super tough for everyone involved that they just won't know anything...

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Interesting. I wonder about hockey which both my 11 year old Grandsons play. Its very difficult to do any kind of efficacy study on protection factors. I was an EMT for 30 years and early on was trained to do precordial thumps as part of our CPR protocol for patients . At some point the CPR protocols changed and they removed the thump based on "evidence" that the thump maybe didn't work, delayed later more effective interventions (AED) and possibly was a potential safety risk (cracked ribs/sternum). Then at some point 5 or 6 years later they put the thump back in for witnessed monitored ventricular tachycardia when an AED is not available. While I haven't read the studies I think is highly likely that thumps or hits to the sternum can cause changes in the electrical activity of the heart. Thank goodness there were so many medical staff in the stadium. I am hopeful that he didn't go too long without perfusion

Reaction Score
The hypocrisy of all the pundits is nauseating. How many times have I heard "Wow what a hit".....well there you go. Kind of surprising to me is that this doesn't happen more often.
Wasn't it just last week where a player went after his defensive teammate after that player tried to help a player up on the opposing side after a tackle?

Hypocrisy isn't exclusive to pundits, it appears.

Reaction Score
I would have thought that the shoulder pads would provide sufficient chest protection to absorb the shock of the collision and avoid Commotio Cordis. Is there a good analysis of why current shoulder pads are insufficient?
Good lord. Do you have any idea the number of hits to the chest that happen in organized football in a year ? Tens of thousands. One guy - we think - collapses as a result and you're worried that 99.999% effectiveness isn't enough ? We don't know jack right now. Michael Irvin got hurt on a routine play where his head and neck got driven into the turf and he left the game. Then, when they were treating it, they found he had a genetic condition that made him more likely to suffer a neck injury. He retired. There's literally nothing to say, right now, that this isn't a similar situation. Or just a complete freak of nature where all conditions lined up perfectly.

Reaction Score
Great job by the medical professionals. They saved his life on the field, hopefully they did it quickly enough where he didn't lose too much oxygen to his brain. Every second/minute counts.
Honestly that's my concern. Having to do CPR for 9 minutes -- and with him reportedly not breathing on his own after that -- there's a lot of time to lose oxygen to the brain.

Reaction Score
I’m officially now done with that sport . I think I’m getting squeamish in my old age/ renewed parenthood .

That really disturbed me badly just now . Too many permanent terrible things happen in that sport these days. I’m just not built for it anymore.

I’m thinking this.
Good call on your part. While they have not specifically called it "Commotio Cordis", the description in the press release appears to match the description in the Wicki link that you provided.

Note that he may have had a hidden heart condition that contributed to the heart attack. I am sure that they will investigate all of the possible issues that contributed to the situation and advise more in the coming days and weeks. I hope that he recovers enough to have a productive life, albeit that was probably his last football game.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m officially now done with that sport . I think I’m getting squeamish in my old age/ renewed parenthood .

That really disturbed me badly just now . Too many permanent terrible things happen in that sport these days. I’m just not built for it anymore.
I've been done with the NFL for awhile. Goodell and the owners are all scum.

Reaction Score

I’m thinking this.
I agree with this. We obsess about conference realignment and it's all about football but eventually I think the sport will change drastically. The hardest legal hits just aren't fun to watch.

If you step back and think about it, the game requires players to wear helmets. Why? Because your opponent is wearing a helmet. They can penalize targeting but it will always happen because when you tackle, your head with the helmet is the first thing to enter the picture. "Isn't our protective equipment enough?" No, it isn't. Not when big strong fast players are crashing into each other, intentionally. A shoulder with any kind of padding will be enough to cause this kind of tragedy unless they are all wearing iron man armor, but even then, the brain would still get rattled. The nature of the game is just too violent for the human body. As other people have stated, it's suprising we don't see more players carried off, but we do know that the long term damage to these players is severe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom