Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to chill about when the game will be canceled tonight, because it doesn’t matter if it was canceled at 9 pm or 10 pm or midnight.

The more important question is what the NFL is going to do about a sport where something like this is possible, and where a meaningful percentage of its players end up with brain damage.
I disagree. It is disrespectful to the player and the teams/coaches to think they can play after this happened.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One of the scariest things i’ve seen while watching sports. Reminds me of the Christian Eriksen situation last summer. I hope to all that is good that this kid is alright. There is no way this game should continue regardless. This is awful.
Reminds me of Eriksen in 2021

The real question is why no one cancelled the game after an hour? Where’s the leadership?
When this happened, they suspended play for an hour and half and continued.

Reaction Score
The leading with the crown of the helmet is something they have been trying to get out of the game. Thats what Higgins did there. Incredibly unfortunate but that is the brutality.
I didn't see it live, just a video that was sent to me on my phone. It looked like he got hit in the chest but didn't look like a violent hit football wise but hits can be deceiving.

I remember in high school a kid a few years younger than me was playing a JV basketball game and collapsed. My classmate walked into the gym to watch and was wondering why everyone was out on the court. It was his little brother and he died. I forget whatever caused it but a doctor came in and explained to us he could've died just walking to class.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to chill about when the game will be canceled tonight, because it doesn’t matter if it was canceled at 9 pm or 10 pm or midnight.

The more important question is what the NFL is going to do about a sport where something like this is possible, and where a meaningful percentage of its players end up with brain damage.
What can they do? What do you suggest?

The play was clean

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Eriksen in 2021

When this happened, they suspended play for an hour and half and continued.

The Danish players were give the option to play on and they chose to do so with Eriksen's blessing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think Higgins helmet hitting his chest area could have caused his heart to stop.
I tuned to the game when the field was empty. Saw a replay on Twitter and instantly am thinking his heart stopped while he was on his feet.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I didn't see it live, just a video that was sent to me on my phone. It looked like he got hit in the chest but didn't look like a violent hit football wise but hits can be deceiving.

I remember in high school a kid a few years younger than me was playing a JV basketball game and collapsed. My classmate walked into the gym to watch and was wondering why everyone was out on the court. It was his little brother and he died. I forget whatever caused it but a doctor came in and explained to us he could've died just walking to class.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I disagree. It is disrespectful to the player and the teams/coaches to think they can play after this happened.

I am not going to argue about something as irrelevant as whether the NFL should have canceled a game that had already stopped 30 minutes sooner than they finally canceled it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I tuned to the game when the field was empty. Saw a replay on Twitter and instantly am thinking his heart stopped while he was on his feet.
My friend shared something about getting a hit to the chest directly over the heart at a critical point during the heart beat

Reaction Score
George Boiardi played Lacrosse for Cornell University. He died on the field in April 2004 as a result of being struck in the chest with a lacrosse ball. The official cause of death was commotio cordis.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That was a tournament setting
Not that a tournament setting vs non-tournament setting should hold that much weight, Eriksen's collapse occurred in group play.
The outcome of tonight's football game has considerable impact on playoff seeding. An argument can be made that the situations were very similar.

Reaction Score
George Boiardi played Lacrosse for Cornell University. He died on the field in April 2004 as a result of being struck in the chest with a lacrosse ball. The official cause of death was commotio cordis.
I also remember a kid at one of the CT prep schools dying from getting hit in lacrosse back when I was in school. He had an enlarged spleen from mono.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Crazy. I knew something didn’t seem right when I saw Josh Allen’s face and diggs face - this wasn’t your “average” concussion hit. Thoughts and prayers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Damar was a fave of my wife's. A really nice young man and a credit to Pitt. She's fairly broken up about this.

Meantime, lots of docs on the Pitt board arguing about his condition and treatment from comfort of their man caves.

Hope Damar makes it.

Reaction Score
I turned off the game temporarily just before this happened and came back just after it happened. Was he really on the field for 19 minutes before he was taken away by ambulance??? Does it take that long to assess his condition??? Seems like that delay can't have been good for him. Prayers for him.

Reaction Score
Damar was a fave of my wife's. A really nice young man and a credit to Pitt. She's fairly broken up about this.

Meantime, lots of docs on the Pitt board arguing about his condition and treatment from comfort of their man caves.

Hope Damar makes it.

Sounds like the boneyard with Hawkin's concussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom