Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Damar Hamlin in critical condition, cpr needed on the field

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I’m officially now done with that sport . I think I’m getting squeamish in my old age/ renewed parenthood .

That really disturbed me badly just now . Too many permanent terrible things happen in that sport these days. I’m just not built for it anymore.

I’m thinking this.
Good possibility and pray that CPR will save him

Reaction Score
ESPN just showed the video of the ambulance pulling up to the hospital. The driver drove super slowly, got out super slowly, walked to the back of the ambulance super slowly. Not the reaction I'd expect to see if a life could be saved. God, I hope I'm wrong.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I turned off the game temporarily just before this happened and came back just after it happened. Was he really on the field for 19 minutes before he was taken away by ambulance??? Does it take that long to assess his condition??? Seems like that delay can't have been good for him. Prayers for him.
Yes it takes that long. Scary but yes

Reaction Score
As of 9:20pm, Hamlin had a pulse but was not currently breathing on his own, according to Joe Danneman of FOX19 Now in Cincinnati, while Tricia Macke, also of FOX 19, reported at 9:53 pm ET that Hamlin had been intubated.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would have thought that the shoulder pads would provide sufficient chest protection to absorb the shock of the collision and avoid Commotio Cordis. Is there a good analysis of why current shoulder pads are insufficient?

Reaction Score
Appears to be Damar’s Agent

An agent would be part of a corporation - and if they take to Twitter, they get a blue checkmark. I know Elon Musk has gone full-on about his latest toy, but it still seems a little off.

Reaction Score
God I hope that’s real.
It appears to be - my wife (Nurse) says ya that's good but the real question is how fast did they get CPR going, how effectively it was done, and how fast did they get the AED on him to restart heart function because the real question outstanding here is whether there was a sufficient flow of oxygen to his brain when he was out. If so, he could be just fine. If not, could be major brain damage in as little as 3-5 minutes without adequate supply. Hoping all the resources at a typical NFL game were deployed speedily enough to avoid that !

Reaction Score
I would have thought that the shoulder pads would provide sufficient chest protection to absorb the shock of the collision and avoid Commotio Cordis. Is there a good analysis of why current shoulder pads are insufficient?

A friend who posts on SOSH texted a post from a cardiologist about this:

A cardiologist on SOSH just posted this: A blow to the chest can cause sudden, cardiac death. It’s called commotio cordis. Essentially, the trauma causes a brief electrical spike. If it happens during a particular point of the cardiac cycle, it can stop the heart immediately. It is much much more common in young children due to the increased compliance of the chest wall. Most cases that I’ve ever heard of occur with a strike to the sternum, usually a punch or a ball – like in baseball or lacrosse.
It’s extremely rare. Only about 10 to 20 cases a year are reported. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a case in anyone over the age of 20 years of age. Every case I’ve heard of, or attended to, involved baseball. I would think shoulder pads would prevent the anterior chest from this type of injury. Resuscitation was historically, dismal, but that is improved with better recognition. There is some speculation that certain individuals are more predisposed given a possible long QT syndrome. The variables that are necessary for this to occur, include the velocity and timing of the incident. Without going into the specifics of the cardiac electrical cycle and repolarization, the most common underlying dysrhythmias include long QT syndrome, and a condition called Brugada syndrome.

A blow to the chest does transmit electrical activity through the chest wall into the heart. Whenever I’m at the bedside and a patient’s heart stops the quickest way I have to get it restarted is a thump, essentially a punch into the chest of the patient. It is thought that a normal punch to the chest confers, approximately 2-5 J of energy.
This same type of thing happened to Chris Pronger in the NHL a bunch of years ago. Puck in the chest and his heart stopped.

Reaction Score
The leading with the crown of the helmet is something they have been trying to get out of the game. Thats what Higgins did there. Incredibly unfortunate but that is the brutality.
Not what happened. Higgens shoulder drove into the middle of his chest. It wasnt the crown of his helmet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A friend who posts on SOSH texted a post from a cardiologist about this:

So the football shoulder pads should have been able to absorb enough force to prevent it from happening. I wonder if they shifted during gameplay and were not on correctly when he was hit. Or maybe this was just really, really bad luck.

Do defensive backs wear different kinds of shoulder pads than other positions?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Give my city a break. Been nauseous for 2 hours. Prayers up to a great kid.

Reaction Score
i was just talking about this when i saw the helmet/helmet usc/tulane no call. brutal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom