Dallas News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dallas News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The billboard and newspaper ads are further confirmation SH is tone deaf and whoever we are paying to brand us should have their contract terminated.

When your head coach has to apologize for the ad it makes the school look clumsy and uncoordinated - how that image helps getting into a P5 - I can't imagine.
Apologize for the ad? That doesn't sound like KO is ten toes in, does it? Maybe that's where the disconnect is. There was nothing wrong with the ad and other than being our opponent, had nothing to do with SMU.

Reaction Score
I but I have some contacts in senior positions at other colleges and to be very kind -
/QUOTE]

Quite frankly, is Andre aware that you have been cheating on him?

Reaction Score
Apologize for the ad? Why? It was in no way disrespectful to the opponent, and if anything may have driven ticket sales/viewership for them. If I'm SMU I'm thanking UCONN. If Ollie is apologizing it should be for the egg his team laid, not the ad his AD ran in the newspaper. SMH

C

Chief00

I apologize for not providing context to posters who perhaps have never been involved in men's sports. Let me surmise, based on a few responses, there are some in this BY audience.

In men's sports there is a code called "our turf" or "our house" - you may beat a team on their turf or house but you don't rub it in by excessive celebration after the game or bragging before the game.

Coach Calhoun understood this code and KO does too. Our ticket to a P5 conference is football and the men's code applies. No disrespect to women's basketball or coed whatever scrimmages that make the season for many here.

There are no coed scrimmages for football that I am aware of - the not on our turf code applies - you don't saturate the newspapers and billboards with paid bragging ads - when you ride into town. That turns off the P5 powers.

Put another way - would you like if a team did that to UConn and would you be more inclined to extend an invite to your conference?

SH has done many things to alienate the people we need to cultivate - and this is right up there.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hopefully they remember to let KO know to hand in his letter of resignation

Reaction Score
I apologize for not providing context to posters who perhaps have never been involved in men's sports. Let me surmise, based on a few responses, there are some in this BY audience.

In men's sports there is a code called "our turf" or "our house" - you may beat a team on their turf or house but you don't rub it in by excessive celebration after the game or bragging before the game.

Coach Calhoun understood this code and KO does too. Our ticket to a P5 conference is football and the men's code applies. No disrespect to women's basketball or coed whatever scrimmages that make the season for many here.

There are no coed scrimmages for football that I am aware of - the not on our turf code applies - you don't saturate the newspapers and billboards with paid bragging ads - when you ride into town. That turns off the P5 powers.

Put another way - would you like if a team did that to UConn and would you be more inclined to extend an invite to your conference?

SH has done many things to alienate the people we need to cultivate - and this is right up there.
Quite frankly, branding is a huge part of the business in college sports. Without it, you are worthless. UConn has stepped up its branding efforts and that ad was further proof how much SH gets it. The disconnect between KO and this effort is alarming.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, branding is a huge part of the business in college sports. Without it, you are worthless. UConn has stepped up its branding efforts and that ad was further proof how much SH gets it. The disconnect between KO and this effort is alarming.

The question is, do we think that the lack of communication was by mistake or indicative of the quality of the relationship between Ollie and the admin?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rutgers billboard in Florida meant they were going to the B1G.

UConn billboard in Texas must mean we're going to the B1G.
I see no logic to this statement, but I like the conclusion and thus it was like-worthy.;)

Reaction Score

No. The ad and billboards were not disrespectful and frankly, it seems like you're reaching now. SH knows one of the many things we need to do to appeal a P5 is be able to draw fans to our games, home and away. This was mentioned last week and it seemed to me UConn wanted to ensure a full house in Dallas while B12 could be watching. It was a good plan and it worked, except for the actual game And, personally I wouldn't care if SMU did the same up here. I don't find it disrespectful. It's not hard to figure out why we did it and the SMU players, coaches, etc know UConn is seeking a P5 invite.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We get it. Phil Austin let you fly on the team plane and Herbst doesn't. We're sorry.

C

Chief00

We get it. Phil Austin let you fly on the team plane and Herbst doesn't. We're sorry.

LOL - my transportation is just fine. I actually managed customers relationships throughout Texas and OK 15 years ago for a company I worked for, including customers in Austin and Norman.

The idea that someone from the Northeast would do that and think it would somehow produce positive results (I.e - get us into a P5) is laughable.

Reaction Score
LOL - my transportation is just fine. I actually managed customers relationships throughout Texas and OK 15 years ago for a company I worked for, including customers in Austin and Norman.

The idea that someone from the Northeast would do that and think it would somehow produce positive results (I.e - get us into a P5) is laughable.
I'm betting Susan Herbst is smarter than you are.

C

Chief00

Yes, she has a great track record pissing people off and having lesser schools climb over us into the P5. LOL that actually is her brand. How is that working?

Keep betting on her throwing bad money after good.

My customers included 4 Big 12 schools. Her job is bigger than mine was but it wasn't the low level gig you describe - I need to be intentionally vague but I know these people she obviously doesn't understand their mindset if she felt a guest insulting a host will get you an invited to their big party.

KO did the right thing. He is from Dallas and intuitively understands how this would go over - not well. And he understands the sports creed - you just don't do that.

Reaction Score

How did this alienate SMU who has no shot at getting into a P5? This was all directed at Texas to remind them we bring much to the table. You are reaching here. I love KO and did not read any of his comments but he should not be worrying about any of this. He has plenty on his plate.

Reaction Score
Bobby Fischer was smart.

So is Stephen Hawking.

But an eccentric chess master nor a theoretical physicist may be the best choice for a guiding hand as a program is competing in the arena of CR.

What is needed is a dollop of real world smarts...not necessarily just the book smarts of academia. And Herbst may very well have those kind of smarts from climbing through the bureaucratic battles of her profession. But situational awareness, I think, trumps book smarts when it comes to CR.

C

Chief00

How did this alienate SMU who has no shot at getting into a P5? This was all directed at Texas to remind them we bring much to the table. You are reaching here. I love KO and did not read any of his comments but he should not be worrying about any of this. He has plenty on his plate.

They don't respect this type of behavior - the thought is she will be doing this marvelous branding thing to their school next.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
KO needs to focus on coaching his team. Let Susan do what Susan needs to do. Chief00 - you couldn't be more wrong about disrespect. What Cincinnati does is disrespect to the whole AAC, puts the Big 10 under pressure in case they aren't chosen and looks bad. One UCONN ad in Texas and the campaign in New York was long overdue.

C

Chief00

Susan doing what Susan needs to do - is so far underperforming.

While liked or respected at her school she is tone deaf to external events such as CR or the State's budget crisis.
I know this will upset some here and I don't have a pony in the race but when the state has a 1 billion dollar deficit looming next fiscal year - how do you give out 4.5% annual raises as far as the eye can see to non professor staff? True the Trustees approved it - what are they thinking too?

Seems like she is one of those leaders who surrounds herself with yes people. That works great in a vacuum but looks very strange to the outside World (except some clueless posters on the BY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom