Cupcake Update (Whaddyaknow!) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cupcake Update (Whaddyaknow!)

Reaction Score
Actually, I am sure UConn had a hand in who we played in the challenge. Baylor was due a road game and they got....Marquette. That is not because the TV execs wanted that game- they would have much rather had Baylor/UConn. Either UConn or Baylor passed on the matchup.
I thought this was part of our entry to the Big East. The challenge was agreed to before we joined and no one wanted to give up the Big home game

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I thought this was part of our entry to the Big East. The challenge was agreed to before we joined and no one wanted to give up the Big home game
That was the Gavitt games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s all much ado about nothing. I could tell Wilmington was better than we made them look. Guessed Buffalo might be. We have thrashed all comers so far. Even our most challenging game was a ten point win.

We are ranked 8th. Is there some complaint that if we played Duke maybe we’d be 5th or something? Is that the argument? Who cares. Keep winning and none of it matters. It’s not like you can predict how the teams you play will end up.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We’ve played more than 2 good teams. Alabama and Iowa St were marquee games. UNC should have been. Ok St is a tournament team imo. Say what you want about Oregon, that win will age like wine. We’re playing @florida next week. That’s as tough a road game as you can get. No one could have predicted they’d be mediocre.That’s already more than 1/3 of our schedule outside of Big East Play.
I can see the Oregon win having a chance to become solid. Alabama + Iowa St will be good wins. Oklahoma St jury is still out. My point is that we can finish OOC play with only wins v. 2 tournament teams. Which, in my opinion, isn’t enough.

I guess outside of me complaining more, I just want a huge home/home with a Kansas, Arizona, or Kentucky.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I can see the Oregon win having a chance to become solid. Alabama + Iowa St will be good wins. Oklahoma St jury is still out. My point is that we can finish OOC play with only wins v. 2 tournament teams. Which, in my opinion, isn’t enough.

I guess outside of me complaining more, I just want a huge home/home with a Kansas, Arizona, or Kentucky.
Oregon lost again (to UCLA) to drop to 4-5.

Reaction Score
You’re getting downvoted like crazy, but you are correct. We need to schedule better. Yes we are 9-0 and played some solid teams, but we need marquee games.

Oregon then either MSU/Bama then either UNC/ISU are marquee games. And normally both OSU and the Gators should be very solid games at the least. 5 of 11 early games is fine he’s not correct nor are you!

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No kidding? They played the 21st ranked team tough, you trying to make that something awful?
No, but if they had won, the entire board would have said "ha." They are not that good and they are not going dancing.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Too early to declare they aren't going to the NCAAs.
When was the last time a power conference team (who didn't win their conference tourney) start 4-5 and make the tournament? I bet it was a long time ago.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Note Dame started 4-5 last year and made the tournament. One of their 4 wins was against a D2 team, so call it 3-5.

That didn’t take long
Rarity, and laziness on my part for looking it up. Either way, it's rare.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Just a hilarious response after being immediately proven wrong. "Well, I'm sure it's rare."
Considering that was the essence of the original statement, that was the point.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You probably meant to write "for not looking it up," but either way, I salute you for not responding that 8½ months is a long time.
I'll give you that.

Reaction Score
I wish I could find the post from someone saying it was in our best interest in the PK to lose to bama so we'd get UNC...that ones aging well

Asked and answered

North Carolina falls to a respectable 21st, with obviously the upside to climb back up in the rankings. Iowa State is at 42, and if we beat them after beating bama, will probably struggle to be quad 1 in a loaded B12. We need to beat Alabama now.

At least if we lose tonight, our opponent would actually be better for our SOS.

Reaction Score
AIC
Bridgeport
Stony Brook
Vermont
Maui (Wichita St, MSU, UK)
New Hampshire
UMBC
Farleigh Dickinson
Coppin St
Harvard

2010-11 you must have been bitching about this early OOC schedule for sure if you are this years.

How did that work out? Just play the schedule and get better as the season moves along. If you’re good enough good things will happen!

Reaction Score
When was the last time a power conference team (who didn't win their conference tourney) start 4-5 and make the tournament? I bet it was a long time ago.
UNC started 5-4 and made the Championship game last year, Michigan started 7-7 and made the tournament last year. Teams start slow and make the tournament all the time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The first five were easy, cupcakes whatever you want to call them that’s what they are. There will always be these type of teams on the schedule every year. The teams that followed, on paper, were and may very well be very good teams. Teams tend to get better as the season evolves barring injuries. Let’s wait until the season is over until you evaluate these teams. UConn has beaten all teams they have faced. That’s all that counts.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Great

I have always argued that SOS was all about who played the strongest cupcakes. That's how certained coaches mastered the "RPI"

They may have tweaked it, but the same principles apply (this thread being a case in point)

caw

Reaction Score
Stop trying to justify our lame OOC schedule. We've played two good teams so far.

Right now the teams with the most P6 plus Gonzaga/Memphis/SDSU/Houston in the top 12 are (I chose top ten non-UConn teams but Ark and Bama are tied and likely to move into the top ten this week):

Alabama: 6
Creighton: 6
Kansas: 6
UConn: 5 including Oregon
UVA: 5 including FSU
Purdue: 5 including FSU
Zona: 4
Baylor: 4
IU: 4
Arkansas: 4 including UL
Texas: 4 including Stanford
Houston: 3 including Oregon

Creighton, Kansas and Bama are the only ones with more games against P6 plus.

More in depth for the top 11 AP (Non-UConn):

Houston: Tournament: None. Challenge: None. Other: Oregon, Alabama, UVA.

Texas: Tournament: None. Challenge: Creighton. Other: Gonzaga, Illinois, Stanford.

UVA: Tournament: Baylor, Illinois. Challenge: Michigan. Other: FSU, Houston.

Zona: Tournament: SDSU, Creighton. Challenge: None. Other: IU, Tennessee.

Purdue: Tournament: WVU, Gonzaga, Duke. Challenge: FSU. Other: Marquette.

Baylor: Tournament: UVA, UCLA. Challenge: Marquette. Other: Gonzaga.

Creighton: Tournament: TTU, ARK, Zona. Challenge: Texas. Other: Nebraska, ASU.

Kansas: Tournament: NCState, Wisconsin, Tennessee. Challenge: SHU, Other: Duke, IU.

IU: Tournament: None. Challenge: UNC. Other: Xavier, Zona, KU.

Alabama: Tournament: MSU, UConn, UNC. Challenge: None. Other: Memphis, Gonzaga, Houston.

Arkansas: Tournament: UL, Creighton, SDSU. Challenge: None. Other: OU.

UConn: Tournament: Oregon, Alabama, ISU. Challenge: OSU. Other: Florida.

Now this is all subject to change, obviously. Heck, Oregon could get healthy and surge. UL could make an improbable ACCT run, etc. UNC could continue their slide.

this still gives me pause.
of course, i've seen almost zero commentary on it here so far.

the 'second half' thing.
1st half o - ranked 9th.
2nd half o - ranked 57th.

1st half d - ranked 13th
2nd half d- ranked 43rd.

does it mean something material? idk.
this is an interesting site. all this gambling stuff brought cray-cray amounts of data to the puzzle. meh. im still an eye test sort of observer.
Connecticut Huskies

It's probably meaningless at this point. The first eight of the games were double digits at halftime. Only Alabama was close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom