Cupcake Update (Whaddyaknow!) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cupcake Update (Whaddyaknow!)

Reaction Score
Oregon is #76 in NET. They are Q2 as a neutral game. Oklahoma State is #46 in NET. They are Q2 as a home game.
Right now that Oregon win is closer to Q3 than Q1.

Derp, I was looking at Kenpom rankings. Still hung over so brain isn't fully working :)

Reaction Score
Just keep winning and things will work itself out.

1670176515131.gif

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Derp, I was looking at Kenpom rankings instead of NET rankings. Good catch. Still hung over so brain isn't fully working :)
It's fine. I was looking at Warren Nolan for NET and it was from last year. Although most of the rankings from NET would be similar to this year (including the two teams in question).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'We have eyes.'
yes. yes (some of us) we do.
mentioned long ago, pre our leagues upside down ooc performance thus far.
the entire field is broadly el stinko this season.
check back in winter, when it slowly dawns on the experts.
on the udder hand, becuz the field is so putrid this season, it increases our chances of doing something.
any opportunity is a good one. i'll take it.
'experts'
i really enjoy the awakening for some of them on donno.
check that, make it 'mvp donno.'
and now, some of them whisper 'nba' along with his name.
duh.

that was fast.
go'won. step up to the plate.
how many, preseason, even contemplated that he could be the mvp in our big tourney?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Also, Oregon has had like 6-8 healthy scholarships players available for basically all their games so far. When they're healthy they should have no trouble passing the shizzle "good" test
They had almost all of their players for UC Irvine and got blown out of the gym. The game they were down six scholarship players was Nova.

Reaction Score
They had almost all of their players for UC Irvine and got blown out of the gym. The game they were down six scholarship players was Nova.
Serious question...what is your background in regards to determining whether or not the OOC schedule is sufficient enough for the MBB team to have a successful season? I'm genuinely interested.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this still gives me pause.
of course, i've seen almost zero commentary on it here so far.

the 'second half' thing.
1st half o - ranked 9th.
2nd half o - ranked 57th.

1st half d - ranked 13th
2nd half d- ranked 43rd.

does it mean something material? idk.
this is an interesting site. all this gambling stuff brought cray-cray amounts of data to the puzzle. meh. im still an eye test sort of observer.
Connecticut Huskies

Reaction Score
What is the motivation to constantly be like, oh you thought this was good? Well, it’s NOT. Does one gain something by not being fully on board and hedging one’s enjoyment or enthusiasm?

Is it that you don’t like the coach? That you like to argue? That you have to feel like (heavy on the have to feel like, light on the are) the smartest person in the room? What a miserable existence. There’s a way to have insightful conversations about sports when people are in disagreement. This ain’t it.

9-0 with a clean sweep of 10+ point wins vs P6 opponents is unacceptable to some people, apparently.

Reaction Score
They weren’t supposed to be less than they are this year when they were scheduled quit being an ass about it.
If executives knew how good UConn was going to be, we'd have drawn Kansas or Texas rather than OSU in the challenge. Oh well. They aren't bad.

Can't get upset about Oregon, either. They were in a tournament where we should have played Oregon-Alabama-UNC. You take that chance every time.

The sub-300s are the problem. Not the P5s.

Reaction Score
If executives knew how good UConn was going to be, we'd have drawn Kansas or Texas rather than OSU in the challenge. Oh well. They aren't bad.

Can't get upset about Oregon, either. They were in a tournament where we should have played Oregon-Alabama-UNC. You take that chance every time.

We were probably scheduled to play Oregon because the tournament directors thought the local team could advance against us.

Reaction Score
I remember when we started with 11 cupcakes in 06-07, were ranked #8 going into BE play and got blasted on the road by WV.
10 were, Ole Miss was one of those 11. They played WVirginia fairly close, losing by 10 (81-71). LSU crushed them however and shortly after that, after losing to Pitt the wheels fully came off ending the season 4-11.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Actually, I am sure UConn had a hand in who we played in the challenge. Baylor was due a road game and they got....Marquette. That is not because the TV execs wanted that game- they would have much rather had Baylor/UConn. Either UConn or Baylor passed on the matchup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
KenPom doesn't cap margin of victory, so while he says he doesn't reward teams for playing cupcakes, his historical ratings seem to favor teams that play bad teams and light them up over teams that play tougher schedules.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
or the top half of the Ivy League. It is embarrassing that we are too afraid to play Yale but Kentucky will play them.
You’re getting downvoted like crazy, but you are correct. We need to schedule better. Yes we are 9-0 and played some solid teams, but we need marquee games.

Reaction Score
this still gives me pause.
of course, i've seen almost zero commentary on it here so far.

the 'second half' thing.
1st half o - ranked 9th.
2nd half o - ranked 57th.

1st half d - ranked 13th
2nd half d- ranked 43rd.

does it mean something material? idk.
this is an interesting site. all this gambling stuff brought cray-cray amounts of data to the puzzle. meh. im still an eye test sort of observer.
Connecticut Huskies
Could mean a lot of things. Like, we aren’t anticipating opponent adjustments very well. The players are losing focus and intensity with big leads. Danny is experimenting with line ups because he has the room to do that.

Reaction Score
Agree.
We’ve played more than 2 good teams. Alabama and Iowa St were marquee games. UNC should have been. Ok St is a tournament team imo. Say what you want about Oregon, that win will age like wine. We’re playing @florida next week. That’s as tough a road game as you can get. No one could have predicted they’d be mediocre.That’s already more than 1/3 of our schedule outside of Big East Play.

Reaction Score
I wish I could find the post from someone saying it was in our best interest in the PK to lose to bama so we'd get UNC...that ones aging well
Yeah. Seems like we beat the better team at the moment. People wanted a short term boost in the rating for a long term detriment (worse win, perhaps). Par for the course in terms of short-term thinking around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom