CRYSTAL!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

CRYSTAL!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Collier only had 13. Quick hook by Reeve. :mad:

Oops, thanks for the correction.
Crystal Dangerfield scored 15 of her 20 points in the fourth quarter for Minnesota (10-5). Napheesa Collier finished with 13 points, six rebounds, four assists, three steals and two blocks.

Reaction Score
Collier only had 13. Quick hook by Reeve. :mad:
Collier played 30.07 minutes which was the most of any Lynx player. I too was upset that Reeve's didn't put her back in when they were on a good run in the 4th quarter ( I guess she couldn't hear me screaming into my computer to get Pheesa back on the floor during the time out) especially given McCall's miscues on what should have been a couple buckets. Guessing her decision was two part, 1) she knew she would need big minutes from Pheesa the next night against L.A., 2) she was probably as frustrated as us fans at the play of the team throughout the game and let them know that it couldn't always be Pheesa, somebody else had to step up.... Crystal almost brought them home ( time and again at key moments last season at UCONN she did just that when they needed it she did just that).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crystal is much, much more active scoring. At UConn she would look to facilitate more than score. I don’t know if that’s per personnel, coaching request, or just wanting to make sure she earns her spot in the W.
She has heart and always has done whatever she could to get the W for her team (UCONN, LYNX and I'm guessing HS and AAU). Reeve's has probably stressed the need for her to score and she has responded, Geno wanted her to run the offense, keep the ball moving and get the best shot for the team. When the chips were down last season, more times than I can remember Crystal knocked down a three (or two) drove through traffic hit the layup and got fouled - basically put the team on her back to get them back in a position to win. Different league, system and needs but same player, who will do what the team needs her to do. Can't imagine any coach that wouldn't want Crystal on their squad.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It seems as if Carleton has really discovered her roll on the Lynx as a distributor and defender. The Lynx team is a very different kind of WNBA team and they really show the advantages of positionless basketball. They exposed some of the weaknesses of the Sparks team, especially off the pick and roll. Also for me (perhaps not for many here) it was sad to see the player Parker is today. Pheesa out jumped her twice on jump balls. Parker's legs look shot.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Has anyone noted that Gabby has become a WNBA playa? As an SG she is so big and strong, and her shot on the move has become money.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Has anyone noted that Gabby has become a WNBA playa? As an SG she is so big and strong, and her shot on the move has become money.
When Colson was just coming back at the start of the season, Gabby was playing the backup PG. With Azura out, Gabby has been playing PF. I can’t think of anyone else in the W who has ever played PG and PF. Her jumper was hot early in the season, then went cold. Tonight, she did an excellent job of attacking the basket. She was too fast and strong for Indiana.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When Colson was just coming back at the start of the season, Gabby was playing the backup PG. With Azura out, Gabby has been playing PF. I can’t think of anyone else in the W who has ever played PG and PF. Her jumper was hot early in the season, then went cold. Tonight, she did an excellent job of attacking the basket. She was too fast and strong for Indiana.
Absolutely. Two other things I noticed about the Lynx is how patient they are with their pick and roll. If Crystal fails to make the P+R play they just reverse the ball and allow Carleton to make the play. When that fails they fall back on the 3 pt shot. When that shot from the perimeter is falling the Lynx are real tough to defend.

Secondly, Phessa is really benefiting offensively from playing the low post. On one play tonight she just bulled her way over the defender. When and if Fowles returns how will it affect her moving back to the perimeter? Will Reeve and Smith even move her back on the wing?

As an aside Sims right now seems the odd man out with the play of Carleton and CD, and her play has been mediocre at best. Next year with Crystal and Carleton so effective one wonders if she will even remain a Lynx. Also with Dontas again playing so well how will Fowles even fit into this fast moving team this year, nonetheless next?

Reaction Score
B79ED97F-A769-4358-9739-4D6DCA391E00.jpeg

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Two other things I noticed about the Lynx is how patient they are with their pick and roll. If Crystal fails to make the P+R play they just reverse the ball and allow Carleton to make the play. When that fails they fall back on the 3 pt shot. When that shot from the perimeter is falling the Lynx are real tough to defend.

Secondly, Phessa is really benefiting offensively from playing the low post. On one play tonight she just bulled her way over the defender. When and if Fowles returns how will it affect her moving back to the perimeter? Will Reeve and Smith even move her back on the wing?

As an aside Sims right now seems the odd man out with the play of Carleton and CD, and her play has been mediocre at best. Next year with Crystal and Carleton so effective one wonders if she will even remain a Lynx. Also with Dontas again playing so well how will Fowles even fit into this fast moving team this year, nonetheless next?

And don't forget Jess Shepard will be back in the mix next year, too. She and Phee played really well together in the early part of last year, and I think she'll make a case for herself to stay with the team.

JordyG

Reaction Score
And don't forget Jess Shepard will be back in the mix next year, too. She and Phee played really well together in the early part of last year, and I think she'll make a case for herself to stay with the team.
Nice.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any jokes starting along the lines of "The only man able to stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith?" I.e. the only coach who could stop Crystal was Geno. ;)
See post #61 in this thread. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1599062468764.png

I don't think this is her award, but it would be so apropos: Shooting star trophy--in Baccarat CRYSTAL.

Reaction Score
Be it football or BB, have always rooted for the small person in a big players game. May be our love for the underdog?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"She's got a lot of dog in her, and that’s the highest compliment you can pay a player.” Cheryl Reeve. I confess to never having heard this compliment. Have you?

Reaction Score
"She's got a lot of dog in her, and that’s the highest compliment you can pay a player.” Cheryl Reeve. I confess to never having heard this compliment. Have you?

From an extension of the expression I don’t have a dog in this fight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and more love for Crystal (From Lindsay Whalen)

Some sample quotes

“She is so even-keeled, like with Phee,” Reeve said, comparing Dangerfield to her old college teammate Napheesa Collier. “But Crystal has more of an edge to her. We laugh about Phee. That she doesn’t have that trash-talking gene. She’s sweet. But Crystal? Rookie of not, she won’t take [anything] from people in games.”

There was a game early this season. A win, but tight, and Reeve remembers Dangerfield reacting rather strongly to some trash talk; in the bubble, you can hear almost everything. Said Reeve: “She was angry. That’s when we learned who Crystal is. We had wondered where we’d get our personality from. Well, she gives us a lot of our personality.”

Count Whalen as a fan. She loves Dangerfield’s shot. Her midrange touch, her ability to hit the deep, deep three. “Every time she gets ready to shoot, I think it’s going to go in,” she said.

and oodles of quotes on how she got more and more pissed on draft day

and last word from Geno
Auriemma is growing tired of the current narrative. About how Dangerfield is such a big surprise.

After winning two state titles playing high school basketball in Tennessee, Dangerfield led the Huskies to multiple Final Fours. And, well, she withstood Auriemma for four years.

“You think about the injuries she had, what she fought through and played with,” Auriemma said. “She had to be tough. Listen. The only reason this is a big surprise is because she was drafted in the second round. Everyone is making such a big deal. Wow. Wow. Well, the kid should have gone top 10. There were lots of kids taken ahead of her who can’t play. ... Here’s the real story: How did so many dummies not get her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom