CRYSTAL!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CRYSTAL!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou's 2 baskets. Went one on one vs Harrigan and then Collier. Lou's last 6 baskets have all been in the paint.
I think Lou played much better against Phoenix, at least on defense.
Crystal was unreal.

I've seen Lou's games and love her repertoire. Given that she's usually playing PF, she needs to use it all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From the opposing bench when asked about Crystal

“I thought she did a good job of getting in the lane,” Wings head coach Brian Agler said. “She got going downhill towards the rim and distorted our defense. She did an extraordinary job for [Minnesota].”

She was not bad out of the lane either. :D

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When UConn played ND either 2 or 3 years ago did Crystal and Arike get into something. I think the game was at ND and Crystal was shoved or kicked by AO, behind the play? I only ask as in the last minute of the game they sort of collided and Crystal kind of shoved her away.

These are all of AO's shots tonight. Go to the very bottom shot, a 3 pointer with just under a minute left. It was a miss, and CD got the rebound and AO reached in for a steal and they collided. CD shoved her away.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When UConn played ND either 2 or 3 years ago did Crystal and Arike get into something. I think the game was at ND and Crystal was shoved or kicked by AO, behind the play? I only ask as in the last minute of the game they sort of collided and Crystal kind of shoved her away.

These are all of AO's shots tonight. Go to the very bottom shot, a 3 pointer with just under a minute left. It was a miss, and CD got the rebound and AO reached in for a steal and they collided. CD shoved her away.

There is no love lost between these two. As long as they’re both in the league, there will continue to be bad blood and hard feelings between them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

To be precise, Crystal was bringing the ball up the floor when Ogunbowle deliberately leg-whipped her to the floor, in a potentially dangerous move. Fortunately, Crystal was not injured in the play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To be precise, Crystal was bringing the ball up the floor when Ogunbowle deliberately leg-whipped her to the floor, in a potentially dangerous move. Fortunately, Crystal was not injured in the play.

“Deliberately“ with malice of forethought. Another phrase for that play is “cheap shot” that she and her coach was perfectly ok with.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Caption, Damn, that rim is high.

1597951089905.png

Reaction Score
Some Crystal updated stats, after 11 games:

• 14.3 PPG, tied for 15th (Phee with 15.2 and is 10th)
  • Scored in double figures in her last 8 games.
  • 47.5 field goal %
  • 38.0% from the 3
  • 3.5 Assists per game
  • And perhaps 3 opposition broken ankles from her wicked hesitation and cross-over moves.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some Crystal updated stats, after 11 games:

• 14.3 PPG, tied for 15th (Phee with 15.2 and is 10th)
  • Scored in double figures in her last 8 games.
  • 47.5 field goal %
  • 38.0% from the 3
  • 3.5 Assists per game
  • And perhaps 3 opposition broken ankles from her wicked hesitation and cross-over moves.

So, any chance Crystal may overtake Pheesa as the teams MVP?? :eek:

Is there some data on 2020 win shares?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Crystal is fun, fun, fun to watch her work. How many 3s is she going to drop before they actually try to defend it. Very happy for her.

Defenders have to respect her ability to drive by just about anyone and take it to the rack or pass out. I see her getting more confidence each game. I did not really appreciate how good her handle and her body deception was.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Defenders have to respect her ability to drive by just about anyone and take it to the rack or pass out. I see her getting more confidence each game. I did not really appreciate how good her handle and her body deception was.
Frankly one of Crystal big (no pun intended) advantages is her height. Because the players in the Association are so much bigger than in college Crystal is easy to lose sight of in traffic. Also size and speed doesn't always grant you the ability to change direction, and Crystal's ability to quickly change direction and/or use her quick first step off the dribble has always been evident. Just more so at this level. Crystal Dangerfield just has to be aware that come playoff time she will be susceptible to post ups. She will also have to carefully maintain her health because those trees in the League will try to chop her down.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few years ago, Geno indicated that Crystal could be a future pg on the US Olympic Team. At the time I just passed it off as hyperbole. But I should know to never doubt the Master. Geno obviously recognized that Crystal's unique combination of quickness, athleticism, b-ball skills and intelligence would likely translate better to the pro/olympic level due to the pace of the game and the wide open offenses.

Crystal has unreal range and a quick release which is forcing WNBA teams to guard her as far as 25' from the basket. That poses a problem, because nobody in the League, and I do mean nobody, can stop Crystal from beating them off the dribble that far away from the basket. That leaves 4 options, all of them bad.
  1. You can play off Crystal and hope she has a bad shooting day
  2. You can play her tight on the perimeter and hope she doesn't blow by you for a layup
  3. You can foul her, and pray she misses an occasional FT
  4. You can rotate a second defender on defense, with the understanding that Crystal will always get the ball to an open teammate, and therefore hope her teammate misses
Sue has been a fixture at pg on the US Olympic Team for a very long time. While I would like to see her play forever, Mother Time will inevitably lead Sue to retire. IMO, Crystal will eventually be ready to step in as the next great UConn pg on the US Olympic team. Crystal could have a very long run in that role.....or at least until the kid from Minnetonka, MN graduates from college.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A few years ago, Geno indicated that Crystal could be a future pg on the US Olympic Team. At the time I just passed it off as hyperbole. But I should know to never doubt the Master. Geno obviously recognized that Crystal's unique combination of quickness, athleticism, b-ball skills and intelligence would likely translate better to the pro/olympic level due to the pace of the game and the wide open offenses.

Crystal has unreal range and a quick release which is forcing WNBA teams to guard her as far as 25' from the basket. That poses a problem, because nobody in the League, and I do mean nobody, can stop Crystal from beating them off the dribble that far away from the basket. That leaves 4 options, all of them bad.
  1. You can play off Crystal and hope she has a bad shooting day
  2. You can play her tight on the perimeter and hope she doesn't blow by you for a layup
  3. You can foul her, and pray she misses an occasional FT
  4. You can rotate a second defender on defense, with the understanding that Crystal will always get the ball to an open teammate, and therefore hope her teammate misses
Sue has been a fixture at pg on the US Olympic Team for a very long time. While I would like to see her play forever, Mother Time will inevitably lead Sue to retire. IMO, Crystal will eventually be ready to step in as the next great UConn pg on the US Olympic team. Crystal could have a very long run in that role.....or at least until the kid from Minnetonka, MN graduates from college.

Nice analysis but Mother time. :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You are right, but do they not play help defense in the W?

Reaction Score

as @Carnac and @oldude mentioned, there was the leg sweep incident where Arike appeared to intentionally knock Crystal to the floor (unseen by any of the 3 referees)...and there was another incident involving an Arike "head shot" to Crystal during a UCONN inbounds play late in the game with the victory essentially secured by UCONN. The second incident resulted in a Flagrant Foul call on Arike. I lost all respect for AO as a result of those events...both appeared to be intentional and did not involve an attempt to get the ball. Following the Game, MM said her team "lost their composure."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes they do. But both Associations are pick and roll leagues now, and with that the ability for a small guard who is a good pocket passer becomes paramount. Hence, Crystal.

Alas you are right. I say alas because there can be a tiresome monotony to the pick and roll game. That is why I watch players (UConn alums) in the W and teams which contain a Stewie and a Sue or a Diana and now the Lynx. Damn, couple more years and I'll be watch the entire season!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
as @Carnac and @oldude mentioned, there was the leg sweep incident where Arike appeared to intentionally knock Crystal to the floor (unseen by any of the 3 referees)...and there was another incident involving an Arike "head shot" to Crystal during a UCONN inbounds play late in the game with the victory essentially secured by UCONN. The second incident resulted in a Flagrant Foul call on Arike. I lost all respect for AO as a result of those events...both appeared to be intentional and did not involve an attempt to get the ball. Following the Game, MM said her team "lost their composure."

Well then do you recall that AO did apologize .... to her team! :eek::confused::mad:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom