CRYSTAL!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CRYSTAL!!

Reaction Score
A few years ago, Geno indicated that Crystal could be a future pg on the US Olympic Team. At the time I just passed it off as hyperbole. But I should know to never doubt the Master. Geno obviously recognized that Crystal's unique combination of quickness, athleticism, b-ball skills and intelligence would likely translate better to the pro/olympic level due to the pace of the game and the wide open offenses.

Crystal has unreal range and a quick release which is forcing WNBA teams to guard her as far as 25' from the basket. That poses a problem, because nobody in the League, and I do mean nobody, can stop Crystal from beating them off the dribble that far away from the basket. That leaves 4 options, all of them bad.
  1. You can play off Crystal and hope she has a bad shooting day
  2. You can play her tight on the perimeter and hope she doesn't blow by you for a layup
  3. You can foul her, and pray she misses an occasional FT
  4. You can rotate a second defender on defense, with the understanding that Crystal will always get the ball to an open teammate, and therefore hope her teammate misses
Sue has been a fixture at pg on the US Olympic Team for a very long time. While I would like to see her play forever, Mother Time will inevitably lead Sue to retire. IMO, Crystal will eventually be ready to step in as the next great UConn pg on the US Olympic team. Crystal could have a very long run in that role.....or at least until the kid from Minnetonka, MN graduates from college.
After watching Seattle last night without Sue, they should have drafted Crystal. I keep forgetting Jordan can't shoot and makes Seattle play 4 on 5 on offense with no flow.
Seattle will never win unless Sue is able to play well in the playoffs. They need to go in a different direction for the future. Jordan is a nice backup, but unless she somehow learns to shoot, not a starter in the WNBA.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After watching Seattle last night without Sue, they should have drafted Crystal. I keep forgetting Jordan can't shoot and makes Seattle play 4 on 5 on offense with no flow.
Seattle will never win unless Sue is able to play well in the playoffs. They need to go in a different direction for the future. Jordan is a nice backup, but unless she somehow learns to shoot, not a starter in the WNBA.

Hmm. She averages over 5 assists and a 2.5 / 1 Assists to TO ratio and is an elite driver to the basket and a decent mid range. Also, she is one of the best defensive guards in the League. Her only real weakness is her 3 pt shooting but Seattle has a lot of other players who can shoot the 3. I think Laksa as a pick will not work out but with Whitcomb , Canada. Lloyd and Bird, they are in a good position at guard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I noted some things that are helping Crystal and her development in the League such as her ability to change speeds, her passing off of traps in the pick and roll, and how her size can be beneficial. Another thing that really helps her are the man 2 man defenses in the pros and not having to penetrate into those college zones and juck defenses. Those high post picks just frees her up and her ball handling gets her to any spot on the floor. She also gets a lot of open threes. With this as Geno often said she truly can get her shot off any time she wants. As she develops a rapport with her team mates and learns how and when they like the ball her assists will continue to increase. To this point in almost every game she looks to be the smartest offensive player on the floor.

Reaction Score
I noted some things that are helping Crystal and her development in the League such as her ability to change speeds, her passing off of traps in the pick and roll, and how her size can be beneficial. Another thing that really helps her are the man 2 man defenses in the pros and not having to penetrate into those college zones and juck defenses. Those high post picks just frees her up and her ball handling gets her to any spot on the floor. She also gets a lot of open threes. With this as Geno often said she truly can get her shot off any time she wants. As she develops a rapport with her team mates and learns how and when they like the ball her assists will continue to increase. To this point in almost every game she looks to be the smartest offensive player on the floor.
I love a good ankle breaker but I'm most impressed by Crystal when the defense cuts off her drive into the paint. She seems to have a plan for who (and why) she'll dish off to before she heads in. It's not often she'll ride her trip into the paint down in flames or find herself unable to make the pass.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next season, I would love to see Crystal develop rapport with one Maya Moore. As I recall, she was a pretty good finisher. :)

Reaction Score
Hmm. She averages over 5 assists and a 2.5 / 1 Assists to TO ratio and is an elite driver to the basket and a decent mid range. Also, she is one of the best defensive guards in the League. Her only real weakness is her 3 pt shooting but Seattle has a lot of other players who can shoot the 3. I think Laksa as a pick will not work out but with Whitcomb , Canada. Lloyd and Bird, they are in a good position at guard.
I have been looking at the assist data this year in the W as I watch UConn alums play. The official stats do not seem to concur with what I see in action. Teams which riding volume shooters still get a ton os assists.

My supposition is that the pace of the game means that every other pass leads to someone shooting. But I am open to alternative assessments.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Next season, I would love to see Crystal develop rapport with one Maya Moore. As I recall, she was a pretty good finisher. :)
Nurse could use some of that rapport.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I love a good ankle breaker but I'm most impressed by Crystal when the defense cuts off her drive into the paint. She seems to have a plan for who (and why) she'll dish off to before she heads in. It's not often she'll ride her trip into the paint down in flames or find herself unable to make the pass.
This is something Crystal Dangerfield always did. But now there are no zone defenses to clog the lane. Once she beats that defender the glass and the pass are hers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Canada has always been streaky and I was disappointed to see them draft her. I had expected that she would get better, but she hasn't really. I was hoping Mo would be picked up, but sadly no.

Reaction Score
Ariel with all her wild shots
Canada has always been streaky and I was disappointed to see them draft her. I had expected that she would get better, but she hasn't really. I was hoping Mo would be picked up, but sadly no.
I was at least hoping she might become a fair shooter from 15 in, but she hasn't gotten better. Seattle needs to get someone who can take over when Sue finally leaves.
They won't win championships with Canada as the lead guard. Arike who takes a lot of bad shots has a higher career shooting pct. 39.9 to 38.4. Arike shoots a lot of 3's, Canada doesn't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice summary

and who led them. Guess.

Ultimately, it was Dangerfield, again. The rookie taken in the second round scored in double figures for the ninth straight time.

Phoenix had pulled within four on Skylar Diggins-Smith’s three-pointer with 4:10 left.

Dangerfield was fouled and made one of two free throws. Then she stole the ball. At the other end she drove hard to the basket, scored and was fouled. Her free throw with 3:16 left put the Lynx back up eight and back in control.

“She has gotten herself on-the-job training,’’ Reeve said. “That is just a player who is embracing running our team. She has a really good handle on things, she’s a really good communicator. And they really trust her.’’

With reason. In her past three games, Dangerfield has averaged 20.7 points, hit 22 of 40 shots, nine of 16 three-pointers and dished 10 assists.

Reaction Score
Such a delight to watch CD and Pheesa actions in the bubble. CD ball handling skills is impressive and always have a way to handle traps. One of my fav plays so far is the action against the LA Sparks where CD faked out Candace Parker on her way for a layup and CP’s compliment on CD after the game. So proud of her WNBA actions. With a little bit of luck and the injuries on Minny, CD got the opportunities to play a lot, hope and wish Katie Lou a lot of luck too but tough to get much opportunities with Arike hogs the ball and most actions.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Again I've noticed that the absence of zone defenses in the League allows Crystal to isolate her defender one on one on the perimeter. There really are few in the league that can handle her in those instances. If they do then she's able to make a nice pass out or a nice pocket pass. Crystal's a baller.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Another 20 point performance in a loss to Phoenix yesterday. Napheesa Collier (13) was the only other double digit scorer for the Lynx. (Post edit correction) Monday Aug 31.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another 20 point performance in a loss to Phoenix yesterday. Napheesa Collier (17) was the only other double digit scorer for the Lynx.

Collier only had 13. Quick hook by Reeve. :mad:

Reaction Score
Crystal is much, much more active scoring. At UConn she would look to facilitate more than score. I don’t know if that’s per personnel, coaching request, or just wanting to make sure she earns her spot in the W.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With every game Crystal is becoming much more of a money player for the Lynx. Against the Suns she almost singlehandedly brought back her team from a big deficit. She appears to have “IT”, that amazing ability that all the great ones have to raise her game to another level during crunch time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom