CRYSTAL!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

CRYSTAL!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guessing she needs a mental / physical rest. Glad she is focusing on what is good for her long term health
I suspect the resurgence of the pandemic in Europe has a lot to do with Crystal’s decision.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I suspect the resurgence of the pandemic in Europe has a lot to do with Crystal’s decision.

Maybe but playing is sports leagues with very regular testing and already leading a pretty isolated life internationally is probably safer than being a regular person in the US?

Reaction Score
and more love for Crystal (From Lindsay Whalen)

Some sample quotes

“She is so even-keeled, like with Phee,” Reeve said, comparing Dangerfield to her old college teammate Napheesa Collier. “But Crystal has more of an edge to her. We laugh about Phee. That she doesn’t have that trash-talking gene. She’s sweet. But Crystal? Rookie of not, she won’t take [anything] from people in games.”

There was a game early this season. A win, but tight, and Reeve remembers Dangerfield reacting rather strongly to some trash talk; in the bubble, you can hear almost everything. Said Reeve: “She was angry. That’s when we learned who Crystal is. We had wondered where we’d get our personality from. Well, she gives us a lot of our personality.”

Count Whalen as a fan. She loves Dangerfield’s shot. Her midrange touch, her ability to hit the deep, deep three. “Every time she gets ready to shoot, I think it’s going to go in,” she said.

and oodles of quotes on how she got more and more pissed on draft day

and last word from Geno
Auriemma is growing tired of the current narrative. About how Dangerfield is such a big surprise.

After winning two state titles playing high school basketball in Tennessee, Dangerfield led the Huskies to multiple Final Fours. And, well, she withstood Auriemma for four years.

“You think about the injuries she had, what she fought through and played with,” Auriemma said. “She had to be tough. Listen. The only reason this is a big surprise is because she was drafted in the second round. Everyone is making such a big deal. Wow. Wow. Well, the kid should have gone top 10. There were lots of kids taken ahead of her who can’t play. ... Here’s the real story: How did so many dummies not get her?
Easy to understand why Crystal was drafted in 2nd round. Size and injuries. As each year went on, she was slowed by injuries. I have only seen 2 of her games this year and appears they are playing off of her and she is not getting hammered as much on drives. Not sure if this is a trend but hoping it keeps up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here are the final (mock draft) pre-draft selections by Bleacher Report, CBS Sports, and ESPN:

Bleacher Report had Crystal at #8 to Chicago.

CBS Sports had Crystal at #10 to Phoenix.

ESPN had Crystal at #6 to Minnesota.

I agree with Geno and these 3 sources: Crystal should have been between #6 and #10.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe but playing is sports leagues with very regular testing and already leading a pretty isolated life internationally is probably safer than being a regular person in the US?
Depends on the country.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal just made 5 buckets in 5 shots in less than 5 minutes. She now has 16, and Minny finally grabbed the lead.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with the first 2.

Crystal has performed at a consistently high level on a winning team and is scoring more than she did in college--about 10th in the entire league.

Dearica is a scoring machine when she comes in off the bench. (I hope Liv gets some pointers from her sister-in-law!)

Defensive player: Alyssa, Alysha, or Pheesa.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There could be some rookies who haven't done much this season, but need more time to blossom and will become great players after another few years or so. Megan?? Lauren Cox?

I think the cream of the crop over time will include Sabrina, Satou, Chennedy, and Crystal. Crystal may not be the best of the 4 over time, but she's in the upper echelon. She has taken advantages of circumstances this season and played the best of all the rookies. Finally, Dangerfield gets some respect!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There could be some rookies who haven't done much this season, but need more time to blossom and will become great players after another few years or so. Megan?? Lauren Cox?

I think the cream of the crop over time will include Sabrina, Satou, Chennedy, and Crystal. Crystal may not be the best of the 4 over time, but she's in the upper echelon. She has taken advantages of circumstances this season and played the best of all the rookies. Finally, Dangerfield gets some respect!!
Chennedy like Ogunbowale has to prove to me they can take a lesser role in the type of balanced team necessary to win a championship at the pro level. Taking 15 or 20 shots in order to score 15 or 20 points doesn't mean success in the playoffs in the Association.

Reaction Score
Chennedy like Ogunbowale has to prove to me they can take a lesser role in the type of balanced team necessary to win a championship at the pro level. Taking 15 or 20 shots in order to score 15 or 20 points doesn't mean success in the playoffs in the Association.
I have been thinking along those lines. In a Podcast-- Tea with Naphessa and Wilson, Wilson (or Candace-- but all 3 were in agreement) remarked that Chennedy (and people like her) will score regardless of well defended-- because that is what they do. In a recent game where Ogunbowale score maybe 40+ points while listed as the pg, she played as if she had no teammates. The next game she scored in single digits and they lost. Dallas seems to be a good young team, but they will have to create a more even team.
I also find it interesting that most would see Uconn and ND as similar in how they play, yet the 2 schools have produced different types of guards. Almost all (or a lot of) the guards from ND have been scorerers (even McBride who I like very much) while Uconn has the more 'classic' pass and then shoot last style. Not sure that I'm right.

Reaction Score
the last few games i have noticed she's made some silly decisions. and most of them appeared to be due to her height, or lack thereof.
someone mentioned a while back that they thought her 'lack' of size was affected her passes into the post and i totally see it now.

i have noticed recently she struggles in the pick and roll when theres an opening into the post.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
the last few games i have noticed she's made some silly decisions. and most of them appeared to be due to her height, or lack thereof.
someone mentioned a while back that they thought her 'lack' of size was affected her passes into the post and i totally see it now.

i have noticed recently she struggles in the pick and roll when theres an opening into the post.

Her height is clearly an issue that puts her at a disadvantage in certain situations. I think part of the issue is that Reeve seems to run a very structured offense (at least early in the shot clock) and other teams are learning how to defend some of their favorite sets and are focusing on Crystal's first entry passes. When Crystal improvises, she can avoid some of that but she will need to be more conscious of her limitations until she learns how to avoid dangerous positions and Reeve will have to be more creative in putting Crystal in less dangerous positions

Reaction Score
I have been thinking along those lines. In a Podcast-- Tea with Naphessa and Wilson, Wilson (or Candace-- but all 3 were in agreement) remarked that Chennedy (and people like her) will score regardless of well defended-- because that is what they do. In a recent game where Ogunbowale score maybe 40+ points while listed as the pg, she played as if she had no teammates. The next game she scored in single digits and they lost. Dallas seems to be a good young team, but they will have to create a more even team.
I also find it interesting that most would see Uconn and ND as similar in how they play, yet the 2 schools have produced different types of guards. Almost all (or a lot of) the guards from ND have been scorerers (even McBride who I like very much) while Uconn has the more 'classic' pass and then shoot last style. Not sure that I'm right.
Maybe that's why Loyd isn't a favorite of her ex coach, she gets more fun out a touch pass for an assist, then scoring herself. Jewell and Stewie make those plays to each other a lot.

Reaction Score

I’ve noticed that a very large percentage of WNBA players make silly mistakes frequently. Crystal makes many fewer than most veterans!

Reaction Score
I’ve noticed that a very large percentage of WNBA players make silly mistakes frequently. Crystal makes many fewer than most veterans!

Was just gonna say this

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal had 6 TOs last night. I think 1 was out of simple carelessness, 1-2 were when she dribbled into traffic trying to create something, and at least 2 were when she tried to make passes that were tipped by her defender because of her lack of height. She was trying to be more aggressive and will learn from the mistakes. Generally speaking, she has adjusted well in adjusting her shot to the W.

On the offensive end, Crystal shot just under .500, was 9-9 on FTs, and finished with a game-high 24 points. She's putting up some excellent rookie stats and is now at 16.2 ppg and 92.2% on FTs.

Here are the past several ROYs and their scoring average. The players above 16.2 are likely 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

Phee 13.3 ppg

A'ja 20.7 ppg

Allisha 13.0 ppg

Stewie 18.3 ppg

Jewell 10.7 ppg

Chiney 15.5 ppg

Elena 18.1 ppg

Nneka 14.0 ppg

Maya 13.2 ppg

Tina 15.5 ppg

Angel 12.8 ppg

Candace 18.5 ppg

Armintie 7.9 ppg

Seimone 21.9 ppg

Temeka 9.3 ppg

Diana 18.0 ppg

Cheryl 10.8 ppg

Catch 18.6 ppg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Those would be remarks that I made early on, especially about how her height affects her vision in the P+R.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom